Haze Updates 2018 / 2019

Karoon

28 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

I think the haze will be hanging for quite some time. since NEA says no rain for the coming weeks. : /

Very long no rain 😢 

↡ Advertisement

2 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

I think better don't order grab food for awhile. the delivery guys still have to brave the haze for us.

Some will argue if no order then those workers might be laid off isn't it worse? Same for people not wanting to return tray.

Just few days ago I watched a China youtube video on a group going 黄山, and half way encountered a old man struggling to carry a Huge bag of rubbish on his shoulder down the steep hill. A guy commented that the old man so poor thing, everyone should do their part to bring own rubbish down, blah blah blah, talking to the camera. But the old man straightaway replied isn't it making him 下岗 aka out of job? So this situation is not peculiar to us only.

Edited by Heartlander
added China

3 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

I think better don't order grab food for awhile. the delivery guys still have to brave the haze for us.

last time during the bad haze (2015?) I asked Singpost why their staff still riding bicycle (and without mask) at my area to deliver mail....

unfortunately they gave me a crappy template corporate response...

next day still see the same thing

33 minutes ago, JohnSHL said:

last time during the bad haze (2015?) I asked Singpost why their staff still riding bicycle (and without mask) at my area to deliver mail....

Singpost another useless organisation. 🙄

• Praise 3

50 minutes ago, JohnSHL said:

But sometime must find out if the company is at fault or riders refuse to put on the masks. Have you tried riding bicycle under hot sun wearing a mask? Must understand that many of those doing deliveries are not the fit fit commando type.

I would think the company should have replied along the line that they follow recommendation from official NEA guidelines blah blah blah. So if the PSI reading that day was not that bad, then we should not fault them. And it could also be that the riders themselves not following the instructions from company. 

But anyway good of you to show concerns for these workers.

• Praise 2

20 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

But sometime must find out if the company is at fault or riders refuse to put on the masks. Have you tried riding bicycle under hot sun wearing a mask? Must understand that many of those doing deliveries are not the fit fit commando type.

I would think the company should have replied along the line that they follow recommendation from official NEA guidelines blah blah blah. So if the PSI reading that day was not that bad, then we should not fault them. And it could also be that the riders themselves not following the instructions from company. 

But anyway good of you to show concerns for these workers.

agreed with your points. I had actually suggested that it was a bad idea to use bicycle to deliver mail during bad haze (not sure how they deal with rain tho). Not wearing masks was just the topping on the cake. I'd feel guilty putting my mail deliveryman's health at risk.

but then the solutions would likely entail delayed mail delivery and/or reorganise mail delivery by motorised means, which may be too much to ask of the company.

btw the N95 masks with vents are significantly easier to breath in. And cooler (less humid) inside too.

as it seems the haze is going to be a recurring issue, i had hoped they would re-examine their ops response plan for haze season.

• Praise 2

53 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Indeed true, if wear mask with ventilation device, should better than normal type of mask if the person is in outdoor long hours.

Agree but it will cost more. Some companies might not want to foot the bill.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1