Haze Updates 2018 / 2019

Karoon

Today sky very clear. Hopefully it will stay this way.. 

https://www.facebook.com/716518290/posts/10157849759688291/

Anyway lucky the haze is not that bad as compared to the above. Imagine if visibility is less then 20m. I think a lot people will not be able to go work, go school, public bus also don't know can drive in that condition not? Whole singapore Road will be chaos. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

8 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

heng no more haze these few days, if not those representatives from msia and indo duno where to hide during the Singapore Summit [sweatdrop]

F1 quite lucky, haze gone during the F1 weekend.

• Praise 3

8 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

heng no more haze these few days, if not those representatives from msia and indo duno where to hide during the Singapore Summit [sweatdrop]

After the 高峰会议, the fan direction change back -10 degree :grin:

• Praise 4

Internal Moderator

NASA satellite images show how bad Indonesia’s haze is from outer space

Source: https://mothership.sg/2019/09/nasa-satellite-photos-indonesia-haze/

image.png.9cca493eb8e2418250a4cd87d8af457c.png

Indonesia’s burning forests have resulted in a haze situation affecting the region. Again.

And while the haze is clearly visible to those in the affected areas, it can also be seen all by satellites in outer space.

Images of smoke blankets in Borneo

In September 2019, NASA’s Earth Observatory released several satellite images of the smoke blankets in Indonesia.

According to NASA, their satellites have detected evidence of fires in this region throughout August.

However, the number and intensity of fires significantly increased in the first week of September.

Here’s an image showing the smoke cover on Sep. 14, 2019:

image.png.0060915b8e1d18f3a20b1eb0886bfe09.png

Here’s another image from Sep. 15, 2019, showing smoke and fires in southern Borneo, captured by Aqua satellite.

This image, which was put together using photos captured by the satellite Landsat 8, showed active fires.

image.png.5f613c0109d1b2771829ed3d4ce4e790.png

NASA also released a map showing the peat fires as of Sep. 17:

image.png.68993222ff046ae44cf981f2da1bd672.png

Peat fires release large amounts of gases and particles, and tend to be difficult to extinguish.

• Praise 4

I think the car aircon filter is not really that effective in keeping out the haze, especially the PM 2.5 particles.

Still I think maybe good time to go service the aircon. For me I try to do like every once per 2 year. Hahahha

3 hours ago, 13177 said:

F1 quite lucky, haze gone during the F1 weekend.

F1 is a bloody waste of tax money and a bloody inconvenience.

I hope for the psi to go up to 200 and choke those involved.

• Praise 1

one tell you what you breathed in for the past 1hr, the other tell you what you breathed in for the last 24hr.

I prefer to know what I'm breathing now, and for that use eyes and nose and a dose of common sense.

• Praise 5

1 hour ago, Kyrios said:

If you look at the article from CNA (Understand the haze: What do Singapore's air quality readings mean and how do they differ from others?), there is no right or wrong, technically speaking. And since there are various International standards for calculating air quality reading, on what basis is NEA's PSI reading the best for Singapore? [confused] Or is it some sort of selective reporting? [lipsrsealed]

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE PSI AND AQI?

There are multiple air quality indices readily available to the public including the World Air Quality Index (AQI) from website aqicn.org, a non-profit organisation set up in 2007. 

Neither the PSI nor the AQI is incorrect - each is just computed using a different air quality index. The AQI adopts the United States Environmental Protection Agency Air Quality Index reporting system. 

BTW, this Dr Khairunnisa Yahya was from NCSU (in US, using EPA AQI), so shouldn't she be in a better position to know which is more applicable... ...[gossip]

KY_AOGS.2015.DSC03479.JPG

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8