Newspaper used to build flats?

Theoldjaffa

Saw this on FB. Walls hacked during Reno only to reveal newspapers being stuffed in with concrete.

This takes renewability and sustainability of materials to a whole new level of meaning

post-1798-0-74847500-1534639575_thumb.jpeg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9

The photo look legit to me. The HDB flat in the background look like from the early 80s, and tie with the old Nissan logo (pre - 1988) in the one of newspaper advertisement. And I guess it was ST too, as I saw "Life" in it...

Nissan-symbol.jpg

On a closer look, I don't think the place where the papers were stuff into are the critical building struture, which come under the prevail of HDB or BCA. Might be the work of sub-con (window installer). But still, it is a safety hazard, since the weak bond between the frame and contrete structure may resulted in the entire window falling off from height (leading to fatality). [furious]  [furious]

• Praise 7

Turbocharged

Looks like outer external layer.

Perhaps incidents like falling outer fixtures might become common in years to come.

Edited by Solar

Turbocharged

The photo look legit to me. The HDB flat in the background look like from the early 80s, and tie with the old Nissan logo (pre - 1988) in the one of newspaper advertisement. And I guess it was ST too, as I saw "Life" in it...

Nissan-symbol.jpg

On a closer look, I don't think the place where the papers were stuff into are the critical building struture, which come under the prevail of HDB or BCA. Might be the work of sub-con (window installer). But still, it is a safety hazard, since the weak bond between the frame and contrete structure may resulted in the entire window falling off from height (leading to fatality). [furious][furious]

Looks like the ID or renovation contractor that cut corner.

This industry got no regulation?

• Praise 1

what's this about, newspaper found inside after removing certain structural? Then the newspaper still looks very new and in good condition.

can make out some words ... Singapore, 100 Plus, Prudential, Slazenger.

how much cement/cost can they save? weird

ntq0EHX.png

that is only for 1 unit.....if its for the whole building its rather substantial and if you time that amount for whatever the contractor or subcon are building throughout the industries.....you get millions saved. My friends used to check the new incoming concrete even after the surveyor has signed off and rejects if the concrete is not up to standard. Do that a few times and then randomly the concrete will be up to standard.....no hanky panky from the main con. You dont check they will cut corners to save on costs and the result is as above.
  • Praise 1

can make out some words ... Singapore, 100 Plus, Prudential, Slazenger.

how much cement/cost can they save? weird

ntq0EHX.png

Not just cost...but laziness on the part of the worker.

• Praise 1

Not just cost...but laziness on the part of the worker.

it takes energy and is much longer for a worker to do that. Imagine need to plaster the inner layers with newspaper for the unit or the whole block before concrete is poured in. As a construction worker, I rather watch them pour in the concrete after finishing the form works. Edited by Eviilusion
↡ Advertisement