2019 Hyundai Avante (Elantra Facelift)

singcheng

The i30 deal today makes the Elantra look expensive..

68k for a turbocharged car with a better interior... MTL..

post-65725-0-25324500-1564824138_thumb.png

↡ Advertisement

Yes, I have not driven an Avante with the new IVT.

Others I have driven a few. We had a 2002 Honda Civic 1.5 with CVT and then after that 2005 Honda Jazz 1.3 with CVT. After we replaced the Jazz with a Golf in 2009, we decided that we will NOT buy another Japanese car with a CVT.

The current CVTs from Honda all has that rubbish rubber band effect - RPM goes up but the freaking car does not move.

I am under the impression that the new IVT will overcome this irritating effect.

From what I understand, this is overcome by using steps ie simulating gear ratios and moving from ratios to ratios, instead of allowing the CVT to vary ratio continuously.

Let's check it out soon......

Looks like CVT is a norm on many cars now? Wonder if toyota CVT can make it or not?

Looks like CVT is a norm on many cars now? Wonder if toyota CVT can make it or not?

It is a whole lot better than Honda's. But rubber band effect is still there. You will feel it when u r in a rush.

Yes, I have not driven an Avante with the new IVT.

Others I have driven a few. We had a 2002 Honda Civic 1.5 with CVT and then after that 2005 Honda Jazz 1.3 with CVT. After we replaced the Jazz with a Golf in 2009, we decided that we will NOT buy another Japanese car with a CVT.

The current CVTs from Honda all has that rubbish rubber band effect - RPM goes up but the freaking car does not move.

I am under the impression that the new IVT will overcome this irritating effect.

From what I understand, this is overcome by using steps ie simulating gear ratios and moving from ratios to ratios, instead of allowing the CVT to vary ratio continuously.

Let's check it out soon......

if their concern is fuel efficiency, I dont think IVT will feel the programmed step ratio at low rpm as well.

most manufacturers like civic 1.5T, Mitsubishi EC 1.5T the CVT step ratio will feel only when heavy throttle.

if drive casual acceleration the rubber band effect still there try keep best fuel efficiency..

higher torque from turbo engine at least the pulling feel is better even with rubber band effect.

that's my observation and opinions..

if their concern is fuel efficiency, I dont think IVT will feel the programmed step ratio at low rpm as well.

most manufacturers like civic 1.5T, Mitsubishi EC 1.5T the CVT step ratio will feel only when heavy throttle.

if drive casual acceleration the rubber band effect still there try keep best fuel efficiency..

higher torque from turbo engine at least the pulling feel is better even with rubber band effect.

We can see the IVT in action soon.

Lets see if it offers better acceleration feel. I have driven the Civic turbo and I cannot take the whine the moment i start to accelerate more aggressively. The CVT in the Mitsy Eclipse turbo is also similar in this respect.

I am beginning to conclude that turbo torque cannot match with a CVT.

I've driven a 1.6 or 2.0 L Subaru Impreza in Hokkaido some years back... it was already using CVT... it was equally horrible with the whining effect... that was kind of my only experience driving a CVT equipped car... I told myself never again...

Toyota tried to reduce the rubber band effect by having a fixed first gear so that the take off from standstill isn't so slow or rubbery... but in the later gears I'm sure the same rubber band effect is there...

All the Japanese manufacturers have switched to CVT to meet the new fuel consumption requirements in many parts of the world... while the Europeans have tried DCT... and the Koreans have tried everything plus some in-between...

Right now the conclusion seems to be heading towards the type of torque converter gearbox made by ZF, in particular the 8-speed model used in many high end BMWs... apparently the gear change is super fast, matching a DCT but with a more efficient torque converter so that it's equally fuel efficient as the CVT... that's was I gather so far... but I think eventually the cost and complexity of the DCT and poorer driveability of the CVT will give way to something better... cos neither is a good solution at this point... maybe we'll still go back to the tried and tested torque converter gearbox...

Turbocharged

If a CVT malfunctions, the only option is a brand new replacement, which costs in excess of $10,000

For a normal 4,5,6 speed gearbox, reconditioned options are available for just a few thousand bucks. The lesser the gears, the cheaper the replacement cost.

The i30 deal today makes the Elantra look expensive..

68k for a turbocharged car with a better interior... MTL..

Without coe la bro..

If a CVT malfunctions, the only option is a brand new replacement, which costs in excess of $10,000

For a normal 4,5,6 speed gearbox, reconditioned options are available for just a few thousand bucks. The lesser the gears, the cheaper the replacement cost.

That's why I'm glad I bought the avante with the old school 6at gearbox. Cvt is a nono which makes the drive hell boring (tested on vios/xv/impreza). Surprisingly the cvt on civic turbo is decent, probably compensated by the enjoyable engine.

Dct...yeah it's just headache.

Lets see if it offers better acceleration feel. I have driven the Civic turbo and I cannot take the whine the moment i start to accelerate more aggressively. The CVT in the Mitsy Eclipse turbo is also similar in this respect.

dont expect much from IVT if mated to aging 1.6NA gamma unit.

At current COE prices, possible, if a Perodua Kancil can outrun a Lamborghini Aventador at the century sprint.

Of cos possible.. No one ever saw kmc going to fulfill $70.9k but it did..

You can say what you want..

Turbocharged

Of cos possible.. No one ever saw kmc going to fulfill $70.9k but it did..

You can say what you want..

If it's possible, can you help me to secure one Avante S at $70,999. I will pay you $78,999 which is the current selling price and you can pocket the difference.

To set the record straight, only one Avante S was sold at $70,999, by GS Automobile, Komoco's authorised distributor.

GS was instructed to cease accepting new orders at this price of $70,999 immediately thereafter.

And you posted in page 170 that "some brothers got it at this price at the July bidding exercise. It's ONE, not SOME.

You need to get your facts right before posting.

Edited by Vinceng
  • Dislike 1

If it's possible, can you help me to secure one Avante S at $70,999. I will pay you $78,999 which is the current selling price and you can pocket the difference.

To set the record straight, only one Avante S was sold at $70,999, by GS Automobile, Komoco's authorised distributor.

GS was instructed to cease accepting new orders at this price of $70,999 immediately thereafter.

And you posted in page 170 that "some brothers got it at this price at the July bidding exercise. It's ONE, not SOME.

You need to get your facts right before posting.

Coe has not increased much.. In fact, there are many brothers who booked theirs at $73,999 and got it in their 1st bid at the 2nd bidding of July at $26k coe. $70,999 was the lowest..

So for $78,999, it's anyone guess that it's not the actual price. Sure you can pay $78,999. Your SE will love you deep deep.

You need to get your facts right before posting too...

During Feb at sub $26k coe, S model was selling at $73,111. Dun even need to nego for that price.

Now selling at $78,999 who will bite when full recession is heading straight at the market.

During Feb at sub $26k coe, S model was selling at $73,111. Dun even need to nego for that price.

Now selling at $78,999 who will bite when full recession is heading straight at the market.

one more point these 1.5T with CVT still pull away from 1.6NA and 2.0NA effortlessly.

hence my opinion no matter what GB the driveability still mainly depend how much power of engine unit.

of course if mated to better GB will be best of both worlds..

Turbocharged

Coe has not increased much.. In fact, there are many brothers who booked theirs at $73,999 and got it in their 1st bid at the 2nd bidding of July at $26k coe. $70,999 was the lowest..

So for $78,999, it's anyone guess that it's not the actual price. Sure you can pay $78,999. Your SE will love you deep deep.

You need to get your facts right before posting too...

@Ivan_06

You are deviating from the original point brought up, whereby you posted that "a few brothers secured COE for their Avante S at $70,999 in the July 2019 COE bidding exercise" which is untrue. Only one order was taken at $70.999 by the authorised distributor, after which instructions was given by Komoco to cease taking in new orders at $70,999.  

I never disputed the fact that Avante S was sold at $73,111.

Edited by Vinceng

one more point these 1.5T with CVT still pull away from 1.6NA and 2.0NA effortlessly.

hence my opinion no matter what GB the driveability still mainly depend how much power of engine unit.

of course if mated to better GB will be best of both worlds..

Of course lar... the CVT not so lousy until to negate the extra power from a turbocharged engine mah... if you compare a 1.6 NA with the two different gearboxes I think the CVT will be substantially slower to respond...
↡ Advertisement