2019 Hyundai Avante (Elantra Facelift)

singcheng

Buying? Next year will be cheaper.

Haha come come, show your PQP chart again. Hope your PQP chart would continue to trend down for a few more months. My Altis is due soon, need to make a decision in a few months time.

Just get another new ALTIS. Worry free over the next decade.

Haha come come, show your PQP chart again. Hope your PQP chart would continue to trend down for a few more months. My Altis is due soon, need to make a decision in a few months time.

Just get another new ALTIS. Worry free over the next decade.

I put civic, mazda 3 , altis and elantra on par.

Ranking and reasons:

1. Elantra - right price , proven reliability over the years

2. Altis - reliability , but slightly more pricy, dated look

3. Civic - nice look, high price but platform too low, less airbags

4. Mazda 3 - PHV, thanks but no thanks.

This is my family second car, so must be cost concious. hahah !

I put civic, mazda 3 , altis and elantra on par.

Ranking and reasons:

1. Elantra - right price , proven reliability over the years

2. Altis - reliability , but slightly more pricy, dated look

3. Civic - nice look, high price but platform too low, less airbags

4. Mazda 3 - PHV, thanks but no thanks.

This is my family second car, so must be cost concious. hahah !

Civic has steering rack issue. Elantra the transmission got loss jerk between 1 and 2 gear .

Civic has steering rack issue. Elantra the transmission got loss jerk between 1 and 2 gear .

Based on elantra forum, it sounds like a 3rd gear downshift which some called it a jerk, not sure if it is still presence in the new model and how significant it is. Will need to have a test drive.

Civic steering rack am aware too , not too worried about it , after all, less likely to be my choice though still have not ruled it out.

Had anyone viewed ot test drove the new facelift already ?

I viewed the car. Not in public display yet. Can test drive within compound.
  • Praise 2

Torsion beam. I am not a big fan of torsion beam either, however for a B n B car like the Elantra and Cerato, its more than enuf for its target audience. How fast and how furious will you charge into corner in these 2 cars? How fast can u go in an out of traffic along our highways that warrants a full IRS? Torsion beam is not a true IRS no doubt, But from a cost perspective, it gets the job done, and it is robust and able to take heavy duty use. And they are typically lighter than wishbones, Mcpherson structs or multi links. 

The only major downside is that when u drive fast over extended length of poorly paved roads, torsion beams tends to be unable to follow the road surface undulation quick enough and in my experience in my old Hipporolla and G9 Altis 1.8, the rear wheels can actually be lifted completely off the tarmac for a fraction of a sec if the bounce are too severe and too frequent. 

Only the 201hp 1.6T Cerato GT have true multi link IRS

In a nut shell, a tad unsafe if driven hard... never a good idea to take it on the nshw than..

In a nut shell, a tad unsafe if driven hard... never a good idea to take it on the nshw than..

You sure about what you say or not??? Drivers in Europe and US typically drive at 150 km/h in all types of vehicles and particularly in Europe the supermini category is very common and these use torsion beam suspension in the rear... you mean all these cars are unsafe to drive at highway speeds??? Seriously?

Torsion beam suspension is still used cos it can be developed to give really good performance if tuned properly... the Ford Fiesta has superb driving and handling and it uses a torsion beam. And often torsion beams are used in smaller cars as it gives more space for the boot.

Edited by teomingern
  • Praise 1

In a nut shell, a tad unsafe if driven hard... never a good idea to take it on the nshw than..

Yes thats a great idea. Please send your suggestion to bolehland gov and have them ban vehicles with rear torsion bars, trail arms and leaf springs from entering any highways over there.

We can easily cut down over 80 to 85% traffic on the nshw immediately.

Self entitlement at full force here.

• Praise 1

Roger, did u test new Elantra ?

The so called jerk is due to gear shift down.

Torsion is more rigid in a corner compared to multi-link. On uneven surface multi-link is better at ensuring max contact patch.

However applied on a higher riding vehicle like an SUV, the ride can be bumpy.

Safety is NOT compromised on a vehicle equipped with a rear torsion beam.

• Praise 2

Roger, did u test new Elantra ?

The so called jerk is due to gear shift down.

Torsion is more rigid in a corner compared to multi-link. On uneven surface multi-link is better at ensuring max contact patch.

However applied on a higher riding vehicle like an SUV, the ride can be bumpy.

Safety is NOT compromised on a vehicle equipped with a rear torsion beam.

Torsion beam is a cost cutting measure, no matter how good you defend and say it.

Had anyone viewed ot test drove the new facelift already ?

Still in the process of homologation and waiting for approval.

Thus the car is still not openly showcased yet.

Heard from SE that they plan to put the first batch of cars on the roads by Dec.

Edited by DACH
  • Praise 1

Heard from SE that they plan to put the first batch of cars on the roads by Dec.

It’s already Dec today n if homologation still not completed then it will be a tough ask to have the first batch of cars on the road by year end.

• Praise 5

Torsion beam is a cost cutting measure, no matter how good you defend and say it.

Roger, we all hate to think that the car we has a compromised rear suspension design, you included I am sure.

However, in applications like MPV, a Torsion beam saves space and allows manufacturers to create more interior space.  I won't call that a compromise.

The latest Renault Megane RS - up to 280bhp uses a Torsion Beam at the back.   And according RS engineers, the rear torsion beam is more rigid compared to an independent one and allows Renault to dial the 4-wheel steering system to max cornering effect.  Many experts at magazines like CAR, Top Gear and EVO agrees.

• Praise 4

First batch of cars on the road by dec? Seems difficult le esp still need to launch the car amd secure coe. Unless they have already have ready stock and can deliver anytime.

First batch of cars on the road by dec? Seems difficult le esp still need to launch the car amd secure coe. Unless they have already have ready stock and can deliver anytime.

Seems like Jan is more likely
  • Praise 1

Roger, we all hate to think that the car we has a compromised rear suspension design, you included I am sure.

However, in applications like MPV, a Torsion beam saves space and allows manufacturers to create more interior space. I won't call that a compromise.

The latest Renault Megane RS - up to 280bhp uses a Torsion Beam at the back. And according RS engineers, the rear torsion beam is more rigid compared to an independent one and allows Renault to dial the 4-wheel steering system to max cornering effect. Many experts at magazines like CAR, Top Gear and EVO agrees.

Nice one bro...
↡ Advertisement