Hyundai Elantra or Kia Cerato

Joelwong

Know it doesn't tick a couple of your boxes, but Skoda Octavia 1.0 is pretty impressive. Good space, solid build and Skoda has excellent reputation for reliability.

If I were in your exact situation, think the K3 SX, Octavia and Forester NA would probably be my 3 main options within the proposed price range, with VFM/reliability/practicality being the primary drivers.

I was a huge Toyota fan, with my first 2 cars being Camrys, so with your nick, I imagine our considerations aren't worlds apart. [;)]

Skoda is abit exotic for me to try. Forester apologies don't have the better looks of xtrail or crv.
↡ Advertisement

I have been through many turbo'ed cars (chipped up for more power too) . Never once have to replace it.

Modern turbos will last as long as the engine. And once you have one, you would not like to go back to a NA car again.

I think problem is not with the turbo, but with the power churned out by the turbo, the puny engine cannot take it, the heat generated and many other problems that comes with it.

Look at how many 1.4 jettas and golf have crack pistons.

All the ‘award winning’ 1 liter engines churning out 100+ bhp and 200nm torque.....give it a few years more, we will see if it’s really that fantastic down the road.

I was playing with a sirocco on nsh for a while. The 1.4 tsi engine is picks up damn fast, but also lose steam damn fast. #noreplacementfprdiscplacemet lol

Skoda is abit exotic for me to try. Forester apologies don't have the better looks of xtrail or crv.

The forester is at a very friendly price point.

Actually for 90+k, I think the Impreza 2.0 w isight is loaded with features and safety

• Praise 1

@Fungyee77

Went to the Skoda thread to read abit. oh the Skoda is a smart looking car. Commands attention & desire just by looking at the pics.

but the prices would mean an upgrade for me.

currently I am just finding a somewhat lateral replacement for my humble Altis to offset coe losses.

Yeah the Skoda really raises the vibes.

If ownership cost is no concern, would certainly grab this exotic number.

Compliments from bro @carbon82 for the comparison price pic.

post-114176-0-27630800-1535237499_thumb.png

• Praise 1

@Fungyee77

Went to the Skoda thread to read abit. oh the Skoda is a smart looking car. Commands attention & desire just by looking at the pics.

currently I am just finding a somewhat lateral replacement for my humble Altis to offset coe losses.

Yeah the Superb is great. Was actually referring to the Octavia 1.0, which has a list price of $99k before nego.

Do check that out as well... Ticks the practicality/vfm boxes for me as well as the k3/elantra with similar power and lower road tax (though slightly higher initial price). Turbo 1.0 engine reliability is a minor question mark but Skoda as a brand has excellent reputation for reliability that mitigates this concern somewhat.

Anyways, cognizant of not wanting to OT further on this thread so can discuss further on Skoda thread if needed.

• Praise 1

This is a good thread as I've similar dilemma as well, cerato or elantra. Test drive both and civic. Liked civic but out of budget. So now deciding between these 2. I feel cerato more "stable" bit pick up elantra slightly better.

• Praise 3

Has anyone considered the elantras:

7 yr free servicing

no need to trade vehicle in

no need to take 7 yr $50,000 loan

point 1 easily worth $2100 (@twice a yr, $150 each time)

Point 2 worth whatever excess your vehicle can command (I'm personally not bothered because my Civic has just 4 months left)

Point 3 is worth the interest for people like me (who rather pay as much as possible asap) - almost $10,000 total interest

With the above considered, at the minimum the cost of running Elantra is $10k less.

Any thoughts?

I of course would rather take the cerato, it being newer and all. but the extra cost as above is putting me off.

• Praise 2

7 yr free servicing

Point 2 worth whatever excess your vehicle can command (I'm personally not bothered because my Civic has just 4 months left)

Point 3 is worth the interest for people like me (who rather pay as much as possible asap) - almost $10,000 total interest

With the above considered, at the minimum the cost of running Elantra is $10k less.

Any thoughts?

I of course would rather take the cerato, it being newer and all. but the extra cost as above is putting me off.

Point 1 you need top up 3k to get 7yrs servicing instead of 5 yrs.

Point 3 even though u need take loan for cerato to get 7k discount, u can do early redemption but with penalty plus interest paid to date, so still worth it but u need to calculate to compare the overall depreciation with elantra.

Yeah the Superb is great. Was actually referring to the Octavia 1.0, which has a list price of $99k before nego.

Do check that out as well... Ticks the practicality/vfm boxes for me as well as the k3/elantra with similar power and lower road tax (though slightly higher initial price). Turbo 1.0 engine reliability is a minor question mark but Skoda as a brand has excellent reputation for reliability that mitigates this concern somewhat.

Anyways, cognizant of not wanting to OT further on this thread so can discuss further on Skoda thread if needed.

Owned a VW previously. Apart from the piston crack and DSG issue, I notice that VW’s sensors are very sensitive. Abit abit light up, and got to go workshop or buy your own bod reader to clear fault. Some of them are very persistent . It can get pretty annoying. When it comes to servicing, many workshop would charge a premium just because it’s a Conti. But, no doubt the drive is very very different. 要享受就要接受

This is a good thread as I've similar dilemma as well, cerato or elantra. Test drive both and civic. Liked civic but out of budget. So now deciding between these 2. I feel cerato more "stable" bit pick up elantra slightly better.

Coming from a bigger car, I find it quite a pain to drive the cerato, but I don’t have this feeling when it comes to the Hyundai. Dunno y, although on paper, they are very similar. And cerato is 100kg lighter
  • Praise 4

The AMS was introduced to the Elantra to meet our VES 2.0 so as not to get hit by the $10,000 penalty... I don't know the Cerato can meet the neutral band emissions without it since the engine is basically the same unit... perhaps detuning the engine and shifting the torque and power curve was one way, and that be the reason why some of us feel the power lag... despite the 100 kg kerb weight advantage... don't know for sure but just guessing...

Also the new Smartstream system won't come online so fast... it's not very clear exactly what is classified as Smart Stream... there's a lot of marketing speak plus real deliverables... some info in this link: https://www.carscoops.com/2017/10/hyundai-highlights-its-new-smart-stream/amp/

Note that it's unlikely that our normally aspirated 1.6 L engines will get the CVVD or get the new 8-speed wet dual clutch transmission... the CVVD seems to be for the turbo engines...

• Praise 3

Point 1 you need top up 3k to get 7yrs servicing instead of 5 yrs.

Point 3 even though u need take loan for cerato to get 7k discount, u can do early redemption but with penalty plus interest paid to date, so still worth it but u need to calculate to compare the overall depreciation with elantra.

Ah, I see. Still, cost is higher for cerato lah. but if minimal I think worth to whack for the newer design. Elantra looks very dated
  • Praise 2

Ah, I see. Still, cost is higher for cerato lah. but if minimal I think worth to whack for the newer design. Elantra looks very dated

the outgoing/gone K3, Elantra and Altis ....

the Altis has an external look that is more lasting.

Edited by Camrysfa
  • Praise 1

(edited)

7 yr free servicing

Any thoughts?

I am considering the tier 2 pricing for the Elantra S

1 year free servicing

6 bid non gteed

$75999, which is a good 5k cheaper than the Cerato EX, and to get the EX at 80999, I need to trade in my car to them at paper ( my body is worth 1k)

So, other total cost savings for the S model is a good $6000

I service outside cheap cheap. 4 bottle of royal purple engine oil $38, oil filter and labour rm50

Edited by Joelwong

Not true service at $150 everytime.

40,000 & 80,000 needs more things to change. E.g transmission fluid.

Kia svc pkg suggest additional items like radiator water, brake fluid, spark plugs etc.

I do practice changing TO & spark plugs at 40k interval.

• Praise 2

Elantra wt = 1340 kg

Fc = 15.6 km/l.

K3 wt = 1220 kg

Fc = 15.1 km/l.

Taken from sgcarmart.

Same engines, 120 kg heavier and more fuel efficient?

• Praise 1

Elantra wt = 1340 kg

Fc = 15.6 km/l.

K3 wt = 1220 kg

Fc = 15.1 km/l.

Taken from sgcarmart.

I don't know the math. But fc not just about engine and weight. For 15.6 and 15.1 is quite minor and easily overwrite by user driving style. My car I can get 11.5 to 14, base on my mood
  • Praise 2

In terms of exterior , interior (got floating tablet) and length of name, Kia Creato Forte K3 wins hands down. But because of VES, K3 plonked in an old engine + gearbox. God is fair.  

exterior really?

I have to say that the K3 looks refreshing cos it's brand new design. But probably after seeing it on a few months, just turn into another kia on the road.

but i have to say that hands down, the current elantra will still look a nice design 10 years down the road. It's like the mazda 3.

You'll never say that the car looks bad.

Especially if the paintwork is well preserved, it's just a nice looking car for the compact sedan class. Albeit diluted by the sheer number of elantras on the road recently.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

@Fungyee77

which generation altis u coming from? G11 or G10.

I drove an altis from 2008 to 2015. I can say the elantra is just a lot better in every way lah except for the steering feel which is a bit less precise. but i drove the new altis when i bought the elantra, so i can safely say i don't feel any difference except the altis was a bit more powerful to accelerate (but really who cares with a 1.6L car).

but k3 must really get the SX. the other trims don't even have VSC or 6 airbags 

Elantra wt = 1340 kg

Fc = 15.6 km/l.

K3 wt = 1220 kg

Fc = 15.1 km/l.

Taken from sgcarmart.

The elantra is so heavy. no wonder FC is quite poor. i only averaging 12+ km/L. Lol same as my altis when i got it in 2008. If i recall, the prev generation was only high 1200+ kg.

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement