Worth to be a Grab Driver now?

Inlinefour

haha bro, this is a piece of very frank advice. I am fully aware. Just joking about it, no intention to make any move at all.

Okay glad to hear that bro. I'm bad at spotting jokes hahah.

Wanted to give you serious advice before you make an impulse hop for the 10k  [laugh]

Most important difference is  Grab = Income Tax +++

Taxi = Ownself Declare Ownself Tax.

That's very true,

Heard from my friend that in the past, cannot claim anything for tax deductibles.

Grab drivers may earn 7k a month gross, but bring home 2k, but they are taxed accordingly to 7k income a month.

I think there are some measures to alleviate these issues now..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

other than the tax deductables.......Taxi drivers are like hawkers, the cash transactions easy to "decide" how much income to declare.

Wanted to give you serious advice before you make an impulse hop for the 10k  [laugh]

That's very true,

Heard from my friend that in the past, cannot claim anything for tax deductibles.

Grab drivers may earn 7k a month gross, but bring home 2k, but they are taxed accordingly to 7k income a month.

Wanted to give you serious advice before you make an impulse hop for the 10k [laugh]

That's very true,

I heard iras going to approve expenses claim for PHV Drivers this year

No ?

No harm trying. 

But here is my take.

No hard feelings.

But everyone who wish to venture into taxi / grab should consider this.

You spend 20 - 25 years growing up from schools to learn a skill, to be in the market force, be a skilled profession.

You mom or dad probably spends many thousands and more to get you here.

Then when you decide to drive a taxi / grab, your basic requirement is only to attend a driving school for a driving license which may take you less than a year, for $1000 ?

Worth it ?

Once you become a driver, there is no skills developed throughout your new " career".

You will be worthless after a few years.

Good if you can venture into other business. But to get back to what you are worth , from what you've learnt. It is going to be driving your 6th gear up Mount Faber. Almost impossible,

Just my 2 cents.

I always tell this to my friends who seriously wish to be a full time driver.

• Praise 7

No harm trying. 

But here is my take.

No hard feelings.

But everyone who wish to venture into taxi / grab should consider this.

You spend 20 - 25 years growing up from schools to learn a skill, to be in the market force, be a skilled profession.

You mom or dad probably spends many thousands and more to get you here.

Then when you decide to drive a taxi / grab, your basic requirement is only to attend a driving school for a driving license which may take you less than a year, for $1000 ?

Worth it ?

Once you become a driver, there is no skills developed throughout your new " career".

You will be worthless after a few years.

Good if you can venture into other business. But to get back to what you are worth , from what you've learnt. It is going to be driving your 6th gear up Mount Faber. Almost impossible,

Just my 2 cents.

I always tell this to my friends who seriously wish to be a full time driver.

And if the person is retrenched and couldn't get a job at a short notice?

Nowadays without a degree, you can't get to anywhere. 

• Praise 1

Part-time is fine to drive Grab to cover the car running cost if the other family commitments are not too heavy.  This will help to buffer any sudden main job loss too.

• Praise 1

When you didn't have a degree, before you are retrenched , you have your job.

After you are retrenched, you still have that qualification.

Part-time is fine to drive Grab to cover the car running cost if the other family commitments are not too heavy.  This will help to buffer any sudden main job loss too.

Yes part time is OK.

Full time.. better think of all the possibilities and your future.

You may be strong and healthy to drive for 10 years.

But Grab Singapore may pull out anytime.

One of my friend already throw keys back to Grab. Now driving for limo services.

Another friend also throwing keys by end of the year. Complain incentive no good after Grab monopolised. 

Limo can make more than Taxi I think but must dress very nice one right?

Drive Grab must learn to deal with unreasonable passengers that don't know the diff between PHV and Taxi. If you make them unhappy they will rate you 1 star, if you make them happy when they ask you do things that non-taxi cannot do, you may kenna fine.

Can try doing Grabhitch first to see what it's like.

saw some bros posting that now after the com cut not worth to hitch anymore but don't know how true 

Especially those above 40s retrenched with no paper really no where to turn to 

But even degree holder also quite hard to get good wage for middle age 

SG now is more FT friendly rather Local friendly 

Got neighbour 50yo use own car drive Grab...everytime see him...Cry Pa Cry Ma  [bigcry]

So Taxi better than Grab

But if got own car LL do PHV first 

You are right Pinky and H Jinx suka suka shut down left a lot of people die cock standing  [furious]

Everything is possible in Sillypore  [:(]

When you didn't have a degree, before you are retrenched , you have your job.

After you are retrenched, you still have that qualification.

Yes part time is OK.

Full time.. better think of all the possibilities and your future.

You may be strong and healthy to drive for 10 years.

Not likely.  Grab has strong government support.

Dear all

May I know it is worth to drive Grab or normal cab?

Heard Gov let PHV drivers claimed Petrol Parking and Maintenance etc

Any advice from current driver ?

Thank you very much [thumbsup]

My gross earnings is 1.8k to 2k per every week including incentives.

Driving routene

Weekday 6am to 10am, 2pm to 8pm

Weekend 7am to 6 pm

Drive 6 and 1/2 days per week.

So 1 month gross earnings is around 7plus k.

However do take note that to achieve this kind of gross earnings means no take break.

7k plus - petrol about 800, car installment 1.1k, season parking 80, outside parking 100, insurance about 170 per month, compulsory medisave contribution about 480 per month, income tax about 250 per month, car maintenance (servicing, change car tyre and etc) about 250 per month.

So after minus all these end up left about 3k plus to 4k spare.

Imagine 1 month drive 300 hrs. So effectively is like working for manager at Macdonald type of earnings per hour. About 10 to 12 dollars per hour.

So if you okay with that then grab is still okay for you.

However if you got family commitment and other things and you can't commit that long working hours then perhaps full time grab may not be that suitable for you.

• Praise 8

(edited)

My gross earnings is 1.8k to 2k per every week including incentives.

Driving routene

Weekday 6am to 10am, 2pm to 8pm

Weekend 7am to 6 pm

Drive 6 and 1/2 days per week.

So 1 month gross earnings is around 7plus k.

However do take note that to achieve this kind of gross earnings means no take break.

7k plus - petrol about 800, car installment 1.1k, season parking 80, outside parking 100, insurance about 170 per month, compulsory medisave contribution about 480 per month, income tax about 250 per month, car maintenance (servicing, change car tyre and etc) about 250 per month.

So after minus all these end up left about 3k plus to 4k spare.

Imagine 1 month drive 300 hrs. So effectively is like working for manager at Macdonald type of earnings per hour. About 10 to 12 dollars per hour.

So if you okay with that then grab is still okay for you.

However if you got family commitment and other things and you can't commit that long working hours then perhaps full time grab may not be that suitable for you.

Is it true that iras allow phv driver to claim expenses this year ?

But if can use own car to generate income should be ok

Rental car wise I feel not really worth it right?

Motor insurance for PHV is much more higher ?

Edited by Pohhenry

Is it true that iras allow phv driver to claim expenses this year ?

But if can use own car to generate income should be ok

Rental car wise I feel not really worth it right?

Actually you see.. Monthly installment plus insurance plus road tax, plus maintenance is about 1.5k to 1.6k

Outside car rental if can find good deal for hybrid like 60 per day 1 month about 1.8k.

So still can save abit. However buy car is a long term commitment.. So if you are not sure, better rent car 1st and try it out. If you feel it's okay then after rental contract finish, you could then buy new car or 2nd hand car drive also not too late.

Till now I still not sure how much % will be able to claim for petrol. As per last year income tax all cannot claim. But then the next one able to claim. Will wait till when send letter ask me to submit for income tax then I will ask iras on all these.

Yes mine insurance premium is 2046 for Honda Shuttle hybrid. So is confirmed more expensive then non commerical insurance. Plus commerical insurance excess is different from non commerical car insurance.

Mine is own damage 1k excess, other people claim me 1.5k excess.

Edited by Yewheng

I think if the rental car is below $40 per day or $1,200 a month, the earning can match a car owner's Grab income since the car maintenance, insurance and tax are taken care of by the rental company.  This will save the renter's upfront cost of car ownership and major repairs.

Edited by awhtc

I think if the rental car is below $40 per day or $1,200 a month, the earning can match a car owner's Grab income since the car maintenance, insurance and tax are taken care of by the rental company.

That will be non hybrid car.. End up petrol will be about 1.4k per month if drive full time.

So the savings end up is not savings at all as all is offset by higher petrol cost.

I have not driven Grab before, but theoretically, if the hybrid fuel efficiency is 20 km/l and a 1.5-litre petrol car is 14 km/l, then the equivalent petrol cost will be 20/14 x $800 = $1,150.

↡ Advertisement