Engine oil color after servicing

Xravenx

(edited)

Hi all,

thank you for taking time to answer me, no matter what the reply may be. There are a few questions I will be answering here:

I admit i never heard of Xado brand as well. I was recommended a more expensive package by the technician, and I just went ahead. I only know i am using xado when i finish the servicing, which I wasn't there to take a look. 

I don't believe my friend and I are better than the workshop, hence, I am asking for advise here. The boss, which I assume as his number was what i got from the facebook/website, called me up to explain and offered to change again for me for free, as he wants customer satisfaction, which if what they say is true, i have no right to take advantage of his offer, and to be frank, no matter what the truth is, I rather not take up the offer and have the entire workshop look at me like I am trying to pull a fast one.

They send me a follow up message with videos and an image of the engine oil on the tissue. Funny thing is, even the brand of engine oil used is different! I don't know what to say except there are many question marks over my head, like, so is my engine oil used inferior(i opted for the more expensive package)? Is the video trying to show me you pour engine oil fully into the car and not trying to cheat me? Whats the purpose of showing me the video of a car using another engine oil? Even the oil wiped out is clean.

I agree that I should have checked before I send in and after I collected the car, I will learn from this incident. As for wiping a few times, as I want to confirm again, plus i thought the dirty engine oil could have stucked on the stick, that why i clean a few times. Silly me.

I am frankly more concern of my car than whether i got cheated of that money. I am also considering whether to go to another workshop to change the engine oil again, if it may damage the engine. Maybe I'll just go for a 5k servicing after this round.

thanks again for taking time to answer my question. 

edit: attached images of the video and image sent to me by the technician.

post-77670-0-37080000-1535511190_thumb.jpeg

post-77670-0-06752200-1535511402.jpg

post-77670-0-50840200-1535511425.jpg

Edited by Xravenx
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

bro dun worry la .

i tell u that is not black.

u drive 5k then u wipe again, then u will know wat black really look like.

drive 5 days liao become brown very normal

• Praise 2

bro dun worry la .

i tell u that is not black.

u drive 5k then u wipe again, then u will know wat black really look like.

drive 5 days liao become brown very normal

Thank you for the answer. I will do a check and see if I want to do an oil change at 5k next time. 

You didn’t say how much you drive after you checked.

The oil looks really dark to me.

It could be that the oil got you used got some additives that darken quickly, but still that’s very dark.

You got a worn engine that lets the carbon into the oil a bit more.

Your 15k interval has caused lots of dirty oil remaining and the new oil got dirtied by it when it went in.

If I were you I would draw out some oil and record the mileage. Keep pictures of how it diffuses on plain and paper towel after few hours.

Go to another Mechanic and collect back the oil filter and ask them how Long the oil have been used from the look. Newer oils got a translucency although dark when it’s draining.

You can see from the filter if it’s new and if you cut open the filter maybe you can see and judge if the stains corresponds to the age.

If you feel unsure, just drain it. Run it for 15k, change it again, run it for few days and compare your notes.

Personally I think the tech changed your oil coz it’s so easy to check that.

Edited by nazerath
  • Praise 2

Engine oil usually starts with a golden colour.

It turns black bcuz of the detergent which soaks up the carbon byproduct.

4 days may not be long enough for the oil to turn really black.

...Unless you have a diesel engine.

How black should it be is hard to say.

Did they forget to or didn't change the oil, no one knows.

It's up to you to make your judgement.

• Praise 1

Thank you for your opinions, @nazerath and @Kb27. I will pay attention to the oil and do a next servicing at 5k instead. 

How to determine? Look, smell, feel and taste? You really cannot tell much.

Same day dove back to anoher WS, drained off the EO and all came out orh lu lu  . . . how not to tell?  [thumbsdown]

Did you check the oil filter?

Oil filter also never change  [:|]

The other WS guy laughing at me . . . why never stay back to make sure EO is changed.  [:/]

• Praise 3

Twincharged

Same day dove back to anoher WS, drained off the EO and all came out orh lu lu  . . . how not to tell?  [thumbsdown]

Oil filter also never change  [:|]

The other WS guy laughing at me . . . why never stay back to make sure EO is changed.  [:/]

same day then yah can tell if its not a diesel engine as kb27 has mentioned. further more can see that if the oil filter is the canister type and doesnt look new then yes, never change.

you never said was same day mah...

for diesel, pour in fresh oil and check with dipstick, without even starting the engine yet, also black! i know cause i DIY changed the kangoo oil for the past 10years. anyway good riddance to the kangoo, glad it finally went to the scrap heap last year

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 2

I learn this during my motorcycle days.....even if the ws boss call you brother.......always stay there to see what they are changing. If too busy just stand around until they have drain or taken out what you want them to change. The more friendlier the boss becomes the more you should not trust....

You haven't see before what is BLACK engine oil.  [:p]

yeah.

that is black, but dun be mistaken,

its not say u see the dipstick black,

u need to go change oil

like some bro suggest 5k change once.

like that if u drive alot , it will burn your pocket.

even the cheapest syn 5w40 around can last u 10k without damage to engine.

but toward the end u feel the oil, not smooth anymore.

• Praise 1

Wah got video some more? Erm, but why would they take video?

Anyway TS, already past. I wouldn't visit them again if I were you. Even with old engine oil, it won't harm the engine. Just do an earlier change, or if you are really worried change out now. Doesn't cost much. If you need a recommended honest workshop near Kaki Bukit, PM me.

I learn this during my motorcycle days.....even if the ws boss call you brother.......always stay there to see what they are changing. If too busy just stand around until they have drain or taken out what you want them to change. The more friendlier the boss becomes the more you should not trust....ððð

Jia lat liao. My regular workshop, from the boss to the workers - everyone is friendly!!! Hahaha

@hamburger hor?

Edited by Othello

Anyway TS, already past. I wouldn't visit them again if I were you. Even with old engine oil, it won't harm the engine. Just do an earlier change, or if you are really worried change out now. Doesn't cost much. If you need a recommended honest workshop near Kaki Bukit, PM me.

Jia lat liao. My regular workshop, from the boss to the workers - everyone is friendly!!! Hahaha

@hamburger hor?

in business there is no such things as friends......especially for a small garage. Profit must come from somewhere. I know of people who can leave their cars in the morning....go shop, go makan, go work maciam the boss is the best buddy. But to each their own.......
  • Praise 3

When I was driving my old Fit, I always stayed to watched the mechanics to service my car. It was a small petrol kiosk workshop.

Anyway, the engine oil looks brownish is normal for older cars. Nothing to worry about. 

I have used both cheap and expensive EO.

Cheap EO

a. Motormech EO

b. Turtle Oil (Giant)

Exp EO

1. Shell

2. OWS

3. Motul

I change my EO at the 6 months mark as I do not hit the 10k mileage. The smoothness of the more exp EO last longer and the butt smoothness feeling goes away at the 5 months mark with an average of 4k to 5k mileage.

For the cheaper EO, the butt smoothness feeling goes away maybe at the 4 months mark. 

Colour for the cheap and exp EO for my car is very dark brown but won't be full black. I checked my EO regularly and usually after 5 days of normal Singapore driving, it will become darker shade brown.

Both does the job of lubricating the engine and as mine is a NA 1.6l car, I don't use exp EO.

Note: I will always sit and watch the mech change EO as I too had a WS that forgot to do that.

• Praise 1

I learn this during my motorcycle days.....even if the ws boss call you brother.......always stay there to see what they are changing. If too busy just stand around until they have drain or taken out what you want them to change. The more friendlier the boss becomes the more you should not trust....

@hamburger hor?

well at the end of the day, just dont anyhow carrot is the most important thing.

i become Robert for the day and will also be my last day there.

↡ Advertisement