Engine oil color after servicing

Xravenx

in business there is no such things as friends......especially for a small garage. Profit must come from somewhere. I know of people who can leave their cars in the morning....go shop, go makan, go work maciam the boss is the best buddy. But to each their own.......

i also like that lol.

unless weekend i go early for simple oil change and check, i stay there and watch them do 

-1hrs settle.

if repair like ,absorber , mounting, normally weekday morning leave it there, go work,

evening go collect .

must see how well u trust the workshop. i dun ask for discount or bargain, the boss quote me,

can i do , cannot then dun want,

i dun like bargain till low low, the boss do liao also buay song,

then u worry they shortchange u somewhere.

live until so hard for wat?? [;)]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

@xravenx, if your only worry is if this oil change or no oil change will damage your car, my opinion is dont worry, your engine wont blow up just like that. Many EO can go beyond 10k km, even over 20k km, I know of ppl who never change their EO for 3 years, only top ups, but of course thats not what I encourage. 

If you are really so concern, do a new oil change at 3-5k km, just to have your mind at rest.  Still I say no need worry too much about it.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 3

My earlier workshop in the petrol kiosk, the people there are friendly and also made friends with them. Even give them kopi money once.

How sia? [dizzy]

i also do that....give ciggies abd buy drinks. Important is to see what they change or replace. Never take things for granted.

i also like that lol.

unless weekend i go early for simple oil change and check, i stay there and watch them do

-1hrs settle.

if repair like ,absorber , mounting, normally weekday morning leave it there, go work,

evening go collect .

must see how well u trust the workshop. i dun ask for discount or bargain, the boss quote me,

can i do , cannot then dun want,

i dun like bargain till low low, the boss do liao also buay song,

then u worry they shortchange u somewhere.

live until so hard for wat?? [;)]

ya....never ask the ws for bargain....i only make noise if the guy do the job wrongly. Got 1 time the mech changed my water pump but lasts only for 6 month. I told off the boss but never ask for a discount for the next pump. That time when i did top overhaul he didnt keep me updated for the price.....the overhaul cost about rm 300 more, i only brought rm 900 because initially he said it was about rm 800......knn....had to use my cc for the remainders. I gave him a piece of my mind because he didnt keep me updated on the cost.

Likely the oil was a partial change of 2-3 L instead of a complete 4 L change.  It cannot be so dark just a few days after changing.

Likely the oil was a partial change of 2-3 L instead of a complete 4 L change.  It cannot be so dark just a few days after changing.

Yes, that is a distinct possibility as I pumped petrol a few days after my servicing and when I came out of the toilet, I saw the attendant checking my oil (sop procedure) and the oil on the white cloth was not that dark. Perhaps thread starter's oil had more residue of previous oil than normal?

This bothers me as usually I leave car for servicing to attend other matters and recently mm you engine sounds rough.

On 2nd thought, it might not be possible to top up only 2-3 L as stopping the drainage of engine oil mid way is messy.

The possibilities are:

1. There was just too much sludge dislodged with the new engine oil - regular servicing should eliminate this scenario.

2. The used engine oil wasn't fully drained and the new oil was contaminated.

3. A blend of used and new engine oil was used to top up.

I don't know about you but I have been conned before.

The WS guy said to come back in an hour and when it was done, paid and drove off.

First thing I noticed was the engine not reponsive compared to when I changed new EO previously.

Had doubt but decided to go to my colleague usual WS. Upon checking, it was determined that the EO was not changed at all and

I paid that A-hole for nothing. Same dark color and not the usual golden color.

Ch*mpi*n M*t*r at Alexandra Village. <----- AVOID AT ALL COST!  [furious]

With Count on this one. New engine oils are brightly colored (Gold, purple, red etc), haven seen a black/used-oil colored before. The color has no function and gets burnt off rather quickly. But for a 3 - 4 days oil to look so tired, the suspicion is valid. 

WS are full of tricks. They range from top up (200ml) oil & wipe the engine bay to change 1L of engine oil.

Other than costly lab test, a cheaper way is to feel the viscosity of the oil. Take some oil off the dip stick and roll it between thumb & finger. New oil feels like new oil; old oil feels like water.    

Edited by Matrix0405

How to drain 2/3?

Coming out half way put your hand to stop the flow and try to screw in the plug?

Who would bother?

More likely is last oil change was 15000 km ago. That's almost 10000 miles.

Sure a lot of carbon deposit inside.

Was the last oil put in synthetic?

:D

• Praise 1

Supercharged

How to drain 2/3?

Coming out half way put your hand to stop the flow and try to screw in the plug?

Who would bother?

More likely is last oil change was 15000 km ago. That's almost 10000 miles.

Sure a lot of carbon deposit inside.

Was the last oil put in synthetic?

maybe the engine takes 4.5L

pour in 4L (one bottle) of fresh oil, top up the rest with used oil  [lipsrsealed]

one bottle one bottle easier to count mah

maybe the engine takes 4.5L

pour in 4L (one bottle) of fresh oil, top up the rest with used oil [lipsrsealed]

one bottle one bottle easier to count mah

Cheat the customer of 0.5 litre of used oil after opening a new bottle of 4 litre of good oil?

Cheat people must be worth the effect lah. To just cheat 0.5 litre.

Work shop must be very hard up or very hard working.

Someone did say TS should just rub some oil on his fingers.

If thick and oily it's new oil.

If it's like water it's old oil.

So simple.

Edited by Jamesc
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3