Engine oil color after servicing

Xravenx

23 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Not true. Like I said. One can be at top band and the other at lower band. Go read bobistheoilguy

That what's I trying to drive at. Both oil are actually quite low in the band!

Viscosity, @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D445)/ Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D445)/Viscosity Index

Mobil 1 62.6 / 11.8 / 187

Castrol 70 / 12.1 / 173

There are some oil like Castrol 0W30 (German Castrol) which falls in a viscosity band which is very close to a 0W40 (Mobil 1) oil just as an example.

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic
(edited)
35 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

Engine oil is at full mark on the dip stick in both instances.

Is it at your regular work shop? You saw them pour in th oil.

Or they used 5W40.

Castrol Edge Titanium is very good oil. I don't believe FC will become worst. I had been using the Castrol Edge Titanium 5W30 for past 3 yrs on my XT.

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Hyde333 said:

Viscosity, @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D445)/ Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D445)/Viscosity Index

Castrol 70 / 12.1 / 173

Very insightful.

What do the numbers mean?

Which is better for fuel economy? The Mobil 1 or Castrol?

20 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

Very insightful.

What do the numbers mean?

Which is better for fuel economy? The Mobil 1 or Castrol?

From the figures, Mobil 1 should have a very slight advantage.

(edited)

Wait for the oil to run in after 1000km.

If you want the oil to run in faster you lut the engine hard every time you drive. Just kidding.

Actually you dunno whether it's carbon build up inside of the engine. We also dunno the mileage of your car. Can be so many things that could affect fuel economy. A tune up may improve economy eg. engine air filter change, spark plugs etc. If not fuel system clean, throttle body clean, decarbonising treatment etc. Mileage on the tires, tire pressure. Too many to mention. Particulate filter(for petrol engines), EGR valve, if these devices are clogged it will also affect the performance and fuel economy too.

We dunno much about your car. It's your car. You should know. Engine oil usually dont make significant change.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

On 7/31/2020 at 4:47 PM, Hyde333 said:

Castrol 70 / 12.1 / 173
There are some oil like Castrol 0W30 (German Castrol) which falls in a viscosity band which is very close to a 0W40 (Mobil 1) oil just as an example.

IMHO and AFAIK.
Based on the specs,  Mobil is should be more fuel efficient than Castrol.
Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D445) - Mobil's viscosity is lower,  Lower viscosity saves fuel.
Viscosity, @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D445) - Mobil's viscosity is lower. Lower viscosity is thinner and moves faster.  Better startup protection. 

The choice of engine oil depends on usage.  Like these few days,  the morning temperature could be as low as 25°C.  During rain,  the temperature is similar. 
An engine oil that has a lower Viscosity, @ 40°C helps for better startup protection.   

The w30 range is 9.3 to 12.5 cSt   @ 100°C

If following the SAE Recommended Engine Oil based on Ambient Temperature, usually  w30 is up to 35°C  and w40 is up to 40°C.
In SG, the months with the extreme temperature at about => 35°C is the first six month. 
So if the vehicle is prodding along in the jam at those temperature,  the w30 oil is like operating at the max limit. 
A w40 oil on the other hand,  is not near the max limit. 
Prodding along in a tunnel is worse,  the temperature add about 3-5°C above non tunnel ambient. 
On the safe side, use synthetic synthetic - of course anything goes,  no one can see what is happening inside the engine. 

5 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Want to know what’s inside need to do used oil analysis 

Also, UOAs had helped me to estimate that I need to change engine oil around 7000 km. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1