Makan in Thailand

steveluv

I like salt baked fish a lot, especially the street stall outside Asia Hotel there. My must eat stall when in BKK.

We call it pla-pao-ger literally fish-bake-salt. Most popular fish use are pla-chon (snake head), pla-tabtim (tilapia) and pla-kapong (sea-bass). This is a great way to cook actually because the meat is protected first by the scales and then a thick layer of salt this keeps the juiciness inside and prevent over cook. Then you get the wonderful sauce, killer sauce.

Terminal 21 food court are great. Love their kway chap lpl

Anyway my fav thai delicacy should be mango sticky rice. I can eat this daily

Kway-chap here is different ya. The kway they use is the curled up type and they use crispy pork. I prefer the Singapore style but like the Thai kway. Do you know this this type of curled up kway is actually the original in the old days I’m Singapore our kway is also like this.

TS you are our Thai guide now. Post food photos with addresses so we can go there. Besides food, post any things that are interesting too like shopping, entertainment, leisure, interesting place, etc ð

I try my best
↡ Advertisement

Thai food is well known to be delicious and loved by everyone, one of the reasons is the Thai had perhaps perfected the balance between spiciness, sour, sweet and saltiness which made the food easy to eat and easy to go with other food and drinks. 

Nice spread, the moment you see it you wanna eat it

X4WJ0oI.jpg

Tomyam krung

sdTQzL6.jpg

Seafood salad

POFntSb.jpg

Seabass in fish sauce

ROj9ywp.jpg

Fish maw with eggs

9PsFT1b.jpg

Thai cuisine is full of colours

zxeq4Hb.jpg

Squid, dried prawns and cashew with Thai herbs

pNF95df.jpg

Thai pork jerky both this and the above goes very well with alcohol

LmLbYSx.jpg

• Praise 3

I went to Bangkok last October and I was quite happy to find a number of halal foods / restaurants.

Mostly it's Malaysian or Middle Eastern restaurant, and when you go near mosques, there are many halal food stalls. 

7/11 also offers frozen halal foods, just look for the logo. 

There are some at MBK, and don't forget to show your passport to get free Thai Tea at the food court  [:p]

I went to Bangkok last October and I was quite happy to find a number of halal foods / restaurants.

Mostly it's Malaysian or Middle Eastern restaurant, and when you go near mosques, there are many halal food stalls.

7/11 also offers frozen halal foods, just look for the logo.

There are some at MBK, and don't forget to show your passport to get free Thai Tea at the food court [:p]

The main road leading to P'ao restaurant has lots and lots of halal food stalls and restaurants catering to the muslims. Also got small hotels there. Just a stone throw from Platinum. I walked there from Platinum.

The main road leading to P'ao restaurant has lots and lots of halal food stalls and restaurants catering to the muslims. Also got small hotels there. Just a stone throw from Platinum. I walked there from Platinum.

Will venture here next time I'm there. Cheers for the tips!

Thailand is also well known for its many salads and the most famous of all is the somtam (papaya salad) the other will be YAM.

Yam is a style of salad which has some basic ingredient and then a main ingredient. So the basic ingredients are sliced shallots, lemon grass, fresh chili red and green, celery, coriander leaves, spearmint, spring onion, lime jiuce, fish sauce. The main ingredient could be anything. 

If its prawn its known as yam krung , if its pork we call it yam moo etc etc. Basically it could be anything. One of the most popular yam is yam hoon sen krung or yam with glass noodle and prawn which look like this and I believe many of you had probably seen it before

NFlzSz4.jpg

Yesterday had a simple lunch that consists of yam sardines and stir fry kale and pork US$4 for this meal

wiKNqty.jpg

5IKvMwq.jpg

• Praise 2

Has dinner with a few overseas suppliers last night at a nice Thai restaurant & pub known as Club 24 situated at Kaset Nawamin Road 

FIZaf4X.jpg

The restaurant has a live band and many pool tables where one can play pool ($1 per game) and have dinner and drinks with your friends and family.

THJobpP.jpg

Its almost full every night I was told by the staff opens from 6pm to midnight

QGJxDdn.jpg

Deep fried chicken wings

76g1nEC.jpg

Yam hoon sen talay (yam glass noodle and seafood salad)

lpmRBdZ.jpg

Toyam krung

6vzxQ5d.jpg

Tom kah gai (chicken curry soup)

suWUUkN.jpg

Laab moo thod (minced pork fried with lots of Thai herb, its spicy but goes well with drinks)

d19I6h3.jpg

Hor-mok talay is like our very own otah but its with lots of seafood inside

FfZCJDv.jpg

Looks like this when opened up

bqQ5fWc.jpg

Pra kapong manao (seabass in lime sauce)

eHhRszG.jpg

The spread

1UneBwu.jpg

• Praise 7

Somtam is the most popular salad in Thailand and it is also synonymous with Thai cuisine and world renowned. Most Singaporean will know what somtam is which is basically unripe papaya salad. But do you know this is not an ethnic Thai food but rather it is Isaan cuisine from teh north east part of Thailand. 

I went to a Isaan restaurant last night but before I show you the food why not I talk a little about Isaan for your knowledge of who they are.

1. Officially Thailand is divided into 6 regions

a. Central Thailand - where Bangkok and 21 Provinces reside (population about 20 mil)
b. North Thailand - 9 provinces (population about 6.5mil)
c. South Thailand - 14 provinces (population about 9.5mil)
d. East Thailand - 7 provinces (population about 5mil)
e. West Thailand - 5 provinces (population about 3.5mil)
f. finally North Eastern Thailand (simply known as Northeast) - 20 provinces (population about 22.5mil). This Northeast region is also commonly known as Isaan

2. Most Thais call the people there Khun Isaan, local language there is Pasa Isaan.

3. So who are they? First, Isaan is ethnically Lao. Among themselves they call each other Lao, they call their language Lao, they also call their food Lao, they also call their culture Lao so basically they have to be Lao.

4. Isaan language is almost identical to the language spoken in Laos so both Laotians and Isaan people understand each other except for some slang words. On the other hand many Thais cannot understand Isaan language although there are similarities. Today due to ducation almost all Isaan speak Thai too.

You can have a feel of the language here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=3yyepWWcmnk

5. So why are there so many Isaan or Laotians here in Thailand today? This is due to forced migration in the 18th century when Thailand was a powerful kingdom and much bigger than it is today controlling Laos, parts of Cambodia and Burma. There was a rebellion in Laos at one time over Thailand's control and Thailand took a large chunk of the population across the Mekong river into Thailand to be slaves and settled them in Northeastern Thailand. Mekong river is today the border between Thailand and Laos.

6. So today there are basically more Laotians in Thailand than in Laos (population 6.8mil vs 23-25mil Isaan), yes its strange.

9. As for music Isaan music is known as Morlam here's morlam for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT0PkLISNow

Edited by steveluv

Went to wash car and then to the gym so came to office late, stopped by near office stall for brunch

Krapow-moo-saap (Thai basils with minced pork) with rice is I must say the Thai national dish. Its what we will call comfort food, cheap, easy to cook and consists of meat, vege and rice. Krapow and rice is eaten anytime of the say and can be found anywhere and everywhere. Even at home if I want a simple meal I will tell my maid to cook this for me.

with egg, meal costs 50 baht or $2 (comes with free water and tissue paper standard in Thailand)

vrUlfbV.jpg

Of course on the table will have all the standard sauces and sugar and chili powder

Qnt19cM.jpg

Avery good satisfying meal made fresh every plate

where is the red chilli sauce? my favourite as well.

TS you are our Thai guide now. Post food photos with addresses so we can go there. Besides food, post any things that are interesting too like shopping, entertainment, leisure, interesting place, etc ð

solely for foods only lah.

leave entertainment out lah dont go down that route lah.

any photos with more than just food picture, this thread will be locked.

you know what i mean.

nod Nod...

solely for food.

maybe throw in abit of shopping..

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 1

Thailand is also well known for its many salads and the most famous of all is the somtam (papaya salad) the other will be YAM.

Yam is a style of salad which has some basic ingredient and then a main ingredient. So the basic ingredients are sliced shallots, lemon grass, fresh chili red and green, celery, coriander leaves, spearmint, spring onion, lime jiuce, fish sauce. The main ingredient could be anything.

If its prawn its known as yam krung , if its pork we call it yam moo etc etc. Basically it could be anything. One of the most popular yam is yam hoon sen krung or yam with glass noodle and prawn which look like this and I believe many of you had probably seen it before

NFlzSz4.jpg

Yesterday had a simple lunch that consists of yam sardines and stir fry kale and pork US$4 for this meal

wiKNqty.jpg

5IKvMwq.jpg

I ever are once those thai salad. Brought from those push cart road side stall. alot of cabbage and dip in chilli sauce. one comment superb spicy. I don't know what it called.

also from road side pushcart..riceball..grab and dip in a packet don't know what sauce. one word salty and spicy.

cheap and fun.

Edited by Kopites
↡ Advertisement