Data roaming fees despite setting phones to airplane mode

Jman888

didn't know on airplane mode still can incur data roaming??

Family racks up $13,000 in iPhone data roaming fees while overseas, but says phones were on airplane mode
By COURTNEY HAN Aug 28, 2018, 11:01 AM ET

post-1109-0-56358000-1536036584_thumb.jpg
PHOTO: Vivian Chung says she received a bill from T-Mobile for $13,470 in data and roaming charges upon returning from a trip to Vietnam, but she says her family never used data.KGO

A family on vacation overseas racked up thousands of dollars in data roaming fees despite setting their phones to airplane mode, according to ABC News’ San Francisco station KGO.

Vivian Chung and her children had just returned to their California home from Vietnam, where they were celebrating her mother's 84th birthday, when they received a bill from T-Mobile for $13,470 in roaming and internet charges. When she saw it, Chung said she "almost fainted."

"We know we cannot use the phone and it's always on airplane mode," Chung said. "How could this happen?"

All of the charges were incurred on her son Nicholas’ iPhone within the span of a half hour. When his parents confronted him, Nicholas insisted that he had turned his phone on airplane mode for the entire trip, according to KGO.

"I was confused and scared," Nicholas said. "Because $13,000 is a lot of money. I was like, 'What? I didn't do anything.'"

Nicholas admitted that he had played games on his phone during the flight to Vietnam, but the games were offline and did not use internet.

When KGO looked into data usage, they found that mobile apps that don’t require internet connection still use data to update software, refresh social media and send ads.

According to the support section of Apple’s website, “When cellular data is on, apps and services use your cellular connection when Wi-Fi isn't available. As a result, you might be charged for using certain features and services with cellular data.”

When Chung reached out to T-Mobile about the charge, they agreed to reduce the bill to $3,800. Chung thought that was still too much money, so she reached out to KGO’s investigative team, 7 On Your Side.

KGO contacted T-Mobile about the charges, and the company agreed to cancel them. In a statement obtained by KGO, it said, "Customers on T-Mobile ONE or Simple Choice North America plans have unlimited text and data — as well as low-rate calling — in more than 210 countries and destinations around the world with Simple Global. However, T-Mobile recommends, before a trip, customers who are traveling internationally either call customer care, or check international roaming coverage and rates online."

According to Apple, cellphone users must turn off ‘cellular data’ in the settings section of their phone in addition to switching on airplane mode to ensure that data is not being used.

↡ Advertisement

"All of the charges were incurred on her son Nicholas’ iPhone within the span of a half hour.
When his parents confronted him, Nicholas insisted that he had turned his phone on airplane mode for the entire trip, according to KGO."

There u have it

• Praise 4

i told my kids 4g very expensive turn off mobile data in sg and use wifi when they went on travel trips with schools as well as our holidays

no issues leh

:D

• Praise 1

why can't they just switch off data roaming ?? instead of going airplane mode ...

"All of the charges were incurred on her son Nicholas’ iPhone within the span of a half hour.
When his parents confronted him, Nicholas insisted that he had turned his phone on airplane mode for the entire trip, according to KGO."

There u have it

you know the song ...

nicky, nicky - yes papa

playing handphone - yes papa

data connection on - no papa

telling lies ... ha ha ha !

Edited by Ysc3

i actually thought switch to airplane mode mean cut off all network, but not sure if the data could be running in the background.

• Praise 1

many eons ago i called M1 to cancel data roaming

so now i have sim card for indo, viet, china, malaysia, thai  [laugh]  [laugh]

Starhub has a prepaid card called Happy roaming or some shit.

Very cheap data for overseas use. I just use it as my 2nd sim and top up the plan when i need to go overseas.

• Praise 1

i actually thought switch to airplane mode mean cut off all network, but not sure if the data could be running in the background.

This is what i read for Cathay Pacific flight ( A350 ), using wifi with airplane mode on. 

Not exactly sure of the details on how they charge or the speed ; don't intend to use also as inflight is the best excuse to not read email and just watch movies or do nothing. 

Internet access packages*

With our onboard packages, you can get internet access to send and receive emails, browse the web, shop online and keep in touch with family and friends via your own Wi-Fi equipped device (tablet, laptop, mobile phone). Choose from the packages below:

• For flights of 6 hours or less at USD12.95
  • For flights above 6 hours at USD19.95
  • One hour continuous use on all flights at USD9.95
  • Praise 2

I am a convert to M1's Data Roaming Data Passport.

https://www.m1.com.sg/Personal/RoamingAndInternationalCalls/GoingOverseas/DataRoaming/DataPassport

When I was in USA earlier this year for 2 weeks, all I paid is SGD$12. All the data usage is from my local 16gb data limit. Used it for google map GPS driving, even youtubes to entertain my kid while at restaurants or in transit. When I come back I just cancel the service.

Went Malaysia for 3 days in April, activated another SGD$12, and again in June for 4 days.

So it is a pretty worthwhile and convenient service compared to hunting high and low for a foreign country data sim and you are not contactable with your own number while your sim is swapped out (unless you have dual sim)

quite cheap... but for china does it have fire wall?

for malaysia i use a data card with 5gb, you can draw out the data you want to use (min. 500mb) each time you go... the datat valid for 30 days... the card valid for 26 months i think..

bkk i think the tru is cheaper... if lazy queue can buy from qoo