Powerful typhoon Jebi - flood, cars, plane, deaths in Japan

Atrecord

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-asia-storm-jebi/typhoon-kills-at-least-nine-in-japan-boats-move-tourists-from-flooded-airport-idUSKCN1LL05K     Typhoon kills 10 in Japan, boats move stranded passengers from airport

So many cars wasted due to havoc wreaked by Typhoon Jebi in Japan.

post-17508-0-69859200-1536131968_thumb.png

Airport became jetty liao too [sweatdrop]

post-17508-0-81414700-1536131994_thumb.png

TOKYO (Reuters) - A powerful typhoon killed 10 people in western Japan and an airport company started to transfer some 3,000 stranded passengers by boats from a flooded airport, the government said on Wednesday, as more than a million homes were without power.

Jebi, or “swallow” in Korean, was briefly a super typhoon and is the most powerful storm to hit Japan in 25 years. It follows heavy rains, landslides, floods and record-breaking heat that killed hundreds of people this summer.

About 3,000 tourists stayed overnight at Kansai Airport in western Japan, an important hub for Japanese companies to export semiconductors. Television footage showing people lining up to buy food and drinks at a convenience store in the airport. 

Airport officials began transferring the stranded passengers to nearby Kobe airport by high-speed boats and buses on Wednesday morning, the government said.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said about 300 people were injured. It was uncertain when the airport would reopen and some roads and train lines in the affected areas were still closed, he said. About 1.2 million homes were without power. 

“The government will continue to do everything possible to tackle these issues with utmost urgency,” Suga told a news conference.

Japan’s JXTG Nippon Oil & Energy Corp (5020.T) shut at least one of the refining units at its 135,000 barrels-per-day Sakai refinery in Osaka in western Japan due to typhoon damage to part of the cooling tower, the trade ministry said. [nL3N1VR00U] 

Many chip plants operate in the Kansai region. Toshiba Memory, the world’s second-largest maker of flash memory chips, was monitoring developments closely and may need to ship products from other airports if Kansai remains closed, a spokeswoman said.

She said the company was not expecting a major impact because its plant in Yokkaichi in central Japan had not been affected by the typhoon. 

It could take several days to a week to reopen Kansai airport depending on the damage, the Yomiuri newspaper quoted an unidentified person in the airline industry as saying. 

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, criticized for an initially slow response to devastating floods in July, posted repeated updates on the rescue efforts at Kansai. 

Jebi’s course brought it close to parts of western Japan hit by rains and flooding that killed more than 200 people in July but most of the damage this time appeared to be from the wind.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

I guess many in Singapore will Never understand,how lucky we are to not experience such natural disasters.

You have to experience a typhoon, earth quake yourself, to understand the destructive powers of Mother Nature. Many here just brush it off!

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

yes, and now you will know where their resilience comes from.  they have had to endure massive disasters and what not.  

Case in point, Fukushima just a few years ago.

I guess many in Singapore will Never understand,how lucky we are to not experience such natural disasters.

You have to experience a typhoon, earth quake yourself, to understand the destructive powers of Mother Nature. Many here just brush it off!

If singapore have such natural disasters, think there would be no more sg liao.

• Praise 1

hmmm..and to think im supposed to go Japan, ie, Kansai airport for my honeymoon...

not time I guess 

Dang! I would have taken your car seats.... [sly]

They were just recovering from the bad floods recently.

Actually i tot they had unusually high fatalities just 1-2 mth ago, from.... heat wave...

floods were china mah.

what extremes...

hmmm..and to think im supposed to go Japan, ie, Kansai airport for my honeymoon...

not time I guess 

wah lao... if honeymoon kanna this, straightaway it will add one 'a' instead to become

Kanasai

experience lor...

Actually i tot they had unusually high fatalities just 1-2 mth ago, from.... heat wave...

floods were china mah.

what extremes...

wah lao... if honeymoon kanna this, straightaway it will add one 'a' instead to become

Kanasai

experience lor...

Japan had flood and heat wave on different part of the island in past 6 months.

floods were china mah.

what extremes...

China had floods. Even just 2-3 days ago, guangdong flooded.

The floods in JP had the most number of fatalities in south western japan.

> 200 people died

When they were dealing with the aftermath of the floods, they kana the heatwave which made life miserable for the survivors and aid personnel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Japan_floods

Those cars can claim insurance?

maybe they just touch up and export them to a particular country in SEA [sweatdrop]

China had floods. Even just 2-3 days ago, guangdong flooded.

The floods in JP had the most number of fatalities in south western japan.

> 200 people died

When they were dealing with the aftermath of the floods, they kana the heatwave which made life miserable for the survivors and aid personnel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Japan_floods

wah lao... so cham arrh???

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-asia-storm-jebi/typhoon-kills-at-least-nine-in-japan-boats-move-tourists-from-flooded-airport-idUSKCN1LL05K     Typhoon kills 10 in Japan, boats move stranded passengers from airport

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-09-05 at 3.18.04 PM.png

Wahhh...

Got prius..Alphard.. lexus.. Integra.. Many many car.....

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-09-05 at 3.18.04 PM.png

Airport became jetty liao too [sweatdrop]

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-09-05 at 2.37.58 PM.png

May God bless Japan! [angel]

• Praise 2