Singapore has the world’s worst annual leave

ChaosMyth

51 members have voted

1. 1. How many days of Annual Leave is sufficient in your opinion?

• 0. Dont need to rest la.
    • 4 Day Work Week better. Lol...

post-186600-0-54889800-1536283546_thumb.jpg

https://www.businessinsider.sg/singapore-has-the-worlds-worst-annual-leave-and-it-could-actually-be-shortening-peoples-lives/?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1535970560

Singaporeans have the world’s least holiday leave, which researchers say could be lowing citizens’ life expectancy. Pixabay If you’ve ever felt you’re practically working till you die, you might be right – according to science.

A recent research report from online home rental company Spotahome ranked 89 global cities by key health factors such as life expectancy, work life balance, and days of annual leave. And while Singapore came out as the city with the world’s second highest life expectancy, researchers explained that it lost the top spot to Tokyo solely because of its poor annual leave numbers.

The country came in dead last out of 89 cities for vacation leave, meaning people from every other city – including Hong Kong, New York and Seoul – had more vacation days on average. 

While statistics were generally taken from the UBS Global Cities Ranking 2018, a spokesman explained to Business Insider that Spotahome used Singapore’s state-mandated 7 days minimum annual leave as its data point.

The researchers acknowledged that Singaporeans get between 7 to 14 days annual leave – depending on an employee’s years of experience – but this number was still “low compared to other countries” and could have a “negative impact on overall life expectancy”.

The highest scorer for annual leave was the Saudi Arabian capital of Riyadh, with 37 vacation days.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

attachicon.gifcomputer-3368242_960_720.jpg

https://www.businessinsider.sg/singapore-has-the-worlds-worst-annual-leave-and-it-could-actually-be-shortening-peoples-lives/?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1535970560

Singaporeans have the world’s least holiday leave, which researchers say could be lowing citizens’ life expectancy. Pixabay If you’ve ever felt you’re practically working till you die, you might be right – according to science.

A recent research report from online home rental company Spotahome ranked 89 global cities by key health factors such as life expectancy, work life balance, and days of annual leave. And while Singapore came out as the city with the world’s second highest life expectancy, researchers explained that it lost the top spot to Tokyo solely because of its poor annual leave numbers.

The country came in dead last out of 89 cities for vacation leave, meaning people from every other city – including Hong Kong, New York and Seoul – had more vacation days on average. 

While statistics were generally taken from the UBS Global Cities Ranking 2018, a spokesman explained to Business Insider that Spotahome used Singapore’s state-mandated 7 days minimum annual leave as its data point.

The researchers acknowledged that Singaporeans get between 7 to 14 days annual leave – depending on an employee’s years of experience – but this number was still “low compared to other countries” and could have a “negative impact on overall life expectancy”.

The highest scorer for annual leave was the Saudi Arabian capital of Riyadh, with 37 vacation days.

...what do you expect from a C*owns that pay themselves over the roof to give the citizens reasonable holidays....you work until you die is your business...and they will still extend your Cee Pi F withdrawal further....sighhhhh

• Dislike 2

I think make quite a hooha over nothing.

How many countries have childcare leave? 

USA don't even have paid leave for pregnancy. U have to take NPL. 

I think that's really terrible. 

U want to see how much actual leave per worker we take compared to the PRC, japanese and koreans? I think we will win hands down by a large margin.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 4

Ya I only have 28 days

Wah! Ancient service award winner sia. [laugh]

U want to see how much actual leave per worker we take compared to the PRC, japanese and koreans? I think we will win hands down by a large margin.

Probably surveyed the DINKs, BBFAs, etc. [laugh]

How abou compare to French, German or Brit?

I think in term of # f day leaves , jap and china not much diff from us.

Not sure abt KR.

But in term of MOM policy ... they are much better than SG.

• Praise 1

I'll just give u this fun fact which was recently released.

The japanese MOM that regulates overtime working environment, MEDIAN leaving work time is ELEVEN PM. 

Irony at it's best.

Edited by Lala81

Which of these economies do we want to emulate?

France, British ? Not really.

The German economy is essentially a high class version of the PRC economy, which is almost completely 80+ % export driven.

It's ok to be high productivity with many holidays depending on which region of the world you're in. In SG, whereby many of the neighbouring capitals also have potential hardworking employees at much much lower wages than us, we have got to be realistic.

U go ask the rank and file japanese and koreans, how many of these official leave days do they take? It's well documented. sometimes they don't even take half their allotment.

For Jap , it is in their culture they avoid taking leave. Not that they are not entitled.

When jap takes leaves .. they vanish into thin air . When we take leaves , we still need to check email , make calls , join conf. Again culture different.

• Praise 1

I'm all for companies improving leave allotments especially for the lower rank and file employees. Or especially for people who work jobs that are very hard to get standby employees (like cleaners, security guards).

But i don't really think the PMETs in singapore are really having terrible AL situations vs the other economies here in asia.

↡ Advertisement