Will the Toyota Estima 2.4 be ok for windy and hilly roads?

tomjman

Just wanted to check if Toyota Estima 2.4 is ok to buy when considering driving on windy and hilly roads ?

I had been driving a Swift 1.2 with 5 people, and at certain roads especially with steep curves, it can only cruise at 30 KM / hour. and cars behind me becomes impatient.

Or would an SUV be more a powerful car?

I drove Swift 1.2 with 5 people including myself. That was 4 adults and my 5 yr old child. My daughter was always irritated when she was put in the car :) because of no leg room and small space at the back seat.

I am considering Estima 1.2 , 7 seater all because of it's space and practicality, and cost.

There is also Estima with 3.4 liter engine, but I think the mileage per KM would be lower than 2.4 one. \

Not sure if I really need Estima 3.4 ... or 2.4 would be sufficient. We will be 2 adults and 1 child travelling with some luggage most of the time on long road trips.

( Im new here and cannt make new posts , hence replying here ) 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Just wanted to check if Toyota Estima 2.4 is ok to buy when considering driving on windy and hilly roads ?

I had been driving a Swift 1.2 with 5 people, and at certain roads especially with steep curves, it can only cruise at 30 KM / hour. and cars behind me becomes impatient.

I drove Swift 1.2 with 5 people including myself. That was 4 adults and my 5 yr old child. My daughter was always irritated when she was put in the car :) because of no leg room and small space at the back seat.

I am considering Estima 1.2 , 7 seater all because of it's space and practicality, and cost.

There is also Estima with 3.4 liter engine, but I think the mileage per KM would be lower than 2.4 one. \

Not sure if I really need Estima 3.4 ... or 2.4 would be sufficient. We will be 2 adults and 1 child travelling with some luggage most of the time on long road trips.

2.4 is enough Power...3.5 very heavy FC.

• Praise 1

Estima must buy 3.5L. 2.4L Boh Lat.

I drove 2.4L with 6 passenger. Boh lat go up slope.

looks like you will be using the car for 2 adults and 1 child with luggage most of the time. 2.4L is good enough.  I have owned 2.3L and 2.4L for more than 10 years, no issues with power . MPV is not a race car in the first place. But power wise it is good enough to drag a few adults. You wont be driving up hill all the time anyway. For windy road, 2.4L has good enough power unless you are hungry for power. Since you have been driving 1.2L,  a .4L car will be a huge incremental the moment you step on the accelerator. 

• Praise 1

Estima must buy 3.5L. 2.4L Boh Lat.

I drove 2.4L with 6 passenger. Boh lat go up slope.

3.5 paid about $2800 Road Tax,while 2.4 paid $1700...per Year,well,if budget allow,of course 3.5 is a better choice,but for those who use alot,the FC is a killing,2.4 is enough for S'pore Roads.

3.5 paid about $2800 Road Tax,while 2.4 paid $1700...per Year,well,if budget allow,of course 3.5 is a better choice,but for those who use alot,the FC is a killing,2.4 is enough for S'pore Roads.

Yes. Better take 2.4 since he is coming from a Suzuki. 3.5 will bleed him dry with the double whammy of consumption and roadtax.

Who don't know 2.4L is good enough for Sg?

Be prepared to crawl up slope when fully loaded.

Edited by Davidtch

Who don't know 2.4L is good enough for Sg?

Be prepared to crawl up slope when fully loaded.

Should better than his 1.3 Suzuki...

Edited by ER-3682

Hi everyone

Thank you very much for your reply.

In fact I have to buy a family car using in New Zealand where there are steep curves and hilly roads everywhere.

Last time I had a bad time driving swift 1.2 with fully loaded, and it wouldn't climb up the hill at all... And drivers behind me become impatient

Hi everyone

Thank you very much for your reply.

In fact I have to buy a family car using in New Zealand where there are steep curves and hilly roads everywhere.

Last time I had a bad time driving swift 1.2 with fully loaded, and it wouldn't climb up the hill at all... And drivers behind me become impatient

I drove 2.4L Estima fully loaded with 7 passengers from Dunedin to Christchurch.

I have difficulty going up certain stretch of the road.

Thanks Davidtch. Looks like I might face the same issue with 2.4 liter engine. Plenty of roads in NZ is with steep curves, hill, and climbing up and then slopes...

I drove 2.4L Estima fully loaded with 7 passengers from Dunedin to Christchurch.

I have difficulty going up certain stretch of the road.

Bro, no need go so far. My personal test is at genting highlight.

I was having breakfast while going up the steepest slope. Just floor it and eat at the same time.

• Praise 3

Thanks Davidtch. Looks like I might face the same issue with 2.4 liter engine. Plenty of roads in NZ is with steep curves, hill, and climbing up and then slopes...

This is not true , 2.4 L estima even with that fairly big box size, it is still a lot more powerful than a suzuki 1.3L. If both cars park side by side starting from zero or accelerating from third gear, suzuki 1.3L would not be able to pace an Estima.

Very simply put it, estima has about 90% more cc than that of a 1.3L suzuki but the weight is probably only 50% heavier than a suzuki, no way an estima can be less powerful than a suzuki in real driving experience.

Other than my own mpv in sgp, i have driven Estima in Australia and Velfire in Japan with 6 to 7 passengers, no issue driving the car. Again, unless you drive many passenger up and down hill all the time. Otherwise 2.4L is good enough.

But if money is not a concerned, 3.5L is the best. Thise whi driven big car in the US before would agree with me.

Edited by Ct3833
↡ Advertisement