Lithium-Iron Battery (LFP) - New & Better Alternative?

jumpwarrior

Hmm, you don't normally jump start a battery, .. you jump start the engine.

Actually also have jump start the battery. Either u connect to higher voltage to shock it or u connect both terminals to shock it. This is for lead acid battery only.

Never never try it on lithium batteries. You will have a shock of your life.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

If we are now in a 4 seasons country, it would be a clear cut YES for me (for using LiFePO4 which is housed in a car boot). Here in Singapore, if one is to park the car in an unsheltered carpark, temperature within the boot and cabin can reach 50 deg C or more too.

@jumpwarrior, I would like to point out another thing for your consideration. From risk management point of view, battery management system, active cooling system are NOT entirely fool proof to prevent temperature from hitting the critical level (just like most if not all modern mobile phone and charger have auto cutoff feature to prevent over-charging the battery, yet there are still reported case of phone fire). In a nutshell, it does help to reduce the risk, but NOT eliminating it totally.

Last, LiFePO4 is NOT immune to thermal runaway...

lattice-energy-llclithium-iron-phosphate

From my experience, when the battery is weak, upon starting the car (using push start button), the cabin light and speedometer panel will become much dimer till the engine starts. This is best biggest tell tale sign...

@carbon82

Would like to ask what's the average temperature for LiFePO4's thermal runaway to start happening? Would also like to trouble you to also share with us what's the average thermal runaway temperature for lead-acid batteries, for comparison.

Also, from the slide it states that "we have provided several reasonable well-documented examples of serious thermal runaway...", able to share what are the examples so that we can all learn from it?

Hi. I am using LiFe for my r/c applications but only in low discharge applications. The running of my r/c models are still using LiPo batteries with high discharge rates, 60C.

For high discharge rates, i dont think LiFe is suitable. So i think that is why it is not used in real cars. They are unable to hold its voltage under high loads.

My LiFe batteries used in transmitter and receiver applications.

I was about to reply to TS about this LiFe batteries.. LOL

We been playing RC so many years, LiFe is old standards already.

Nothing to shout about.

So let's move on.

What research ?

It's already done by our RC gurus.

It's old game.

Its high specific energy makes Li-cobalt the popular choice for mobile phones, laptops and digital cameras. The battery consists of a cobalt oxide cathode and a graphite carbon anode. The cathode has a layered structure and during discharge, lithium ions move from the anode to the cathode. 

anyone knows if the car is left for a week or so, would you return from a trip with flat batt?

Mine OK so far. Been out for 2 trips of 8 days each this past 5 weeks and car okok. BTW, I did not unplug my car cam. It auto cut at a preset voltage.

anyone knows if the car is left for a week or so, would you return from a trip with flat batt?

One week usually no problem. more than that then need to depend on what electronics you are using.

(edited)

LiFePO4 actually is better suited for EVs/hybrids than regular petrol cars, based on my understanding.

I am planning to switch to a LiFePO4 battery for my Prius, but once I can confirm the car temperature in the battery bay doesn't get hot too much (max 45 deg C?) via the use of my temperature logging sensor, I think it's safe to swap out my normal lead acid battery to a LiFePO4 one.

Edited by daffodilistic
↡ Advertisement