The all new Lexus UX

DACH

(edited)

Haven't took a photo of the interior, but here's the exterior.  :D

post-155424-0-38060100-1559480068_thumb.jpg

post-155424-0-09396100-1559480076_thumb.jpg

Will take better photos another day, this was from the car collection haha..

Edited by 0pires7
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9

Any owner care to share their driving experience with the UX ?

Allow me to get the ball rolling :-

I've got this annoying 'shift shock' (from a CVT ?!) from 1st to 2nd gear often,

especially in stop & go situation during heavy traffic. It does not happen if the

driving off is more of "heavy-footed". It is kind of a disappointment to have such

a problem coming from a Lexus. Read somewhere in those Ang Mor's forum,

Lexus uses don't know what mechanical gear for 1st to 2nd for better acceleration

before the CVT comes in from 3rd ??. However, Lexus's service advisor said it's

some kind of electronic gear control for better acceleration and it's normal to

experience the 'shift shock'. It can be deactivated in the ECU setting if the owner

find it annoying, but will affect the acceleration aka 'pick up'.

My question is does any other owner have same experience & is there really such

a CVT system ?.

• Praise 1

38 minutes ago, Olderman said:

I've got this annoying 'shift shock' (from a CVT ?!) from 1st to 2nd gear often,

especially in stop & go situation during heavy traffic. It does not happen if the

driving off is more of "heavy-footed". It is kind of a disappointment to have such

Lexus uses don't know what mechanical gear for 1st to 2nd for better acceleration

experience the 'shift shock'. It can be deactivated in the ECU setting if the owner

a CVT system ?.

I assume your UX is the 200 variant with the new "Direct-Shift CVT", and not the e-CVT in the UX250h.

And yes, this latest gearbox does have a launch (1st) gear which will be used when accelerating from rest, before switching over to the CVT. Read this:

https://www.classictoyotatyler.com/blogs/2332/toyota-direct-shift-cvt-tyler/

Why not take the test-drive car out to determine if the shift shock is excessive? If its the same, then it is the characteristic of the gearbox and nothing is wrong with the car. I personally don't think deactivating it is a good idea.

• Praise 2

On 10/2/2019 at 11:00 AM, Toeknee_33 said:

I assume your UX is the 200 variant with the new "Direct-Shift CVT", and not the e-CVT in the UX250h.

And yes, this latest gearbox does have a launch (1st) gear which will be used when accelerating from rest, before switching over to the CVT. Read this:

Why not take the test-drive car out to determine if the shift shock is excessive? If its the same, then it is the characteristic of the gearbox and nothing is wrong with the car. I personally don't think deactivating it is a good idea.

This system sounds more complicated. Hope this new technology will be just as reliable.

On 10/2/2019 at 11:00 AM, Toeknee_33 said:

Wow Toeknee_33, thanks a million for the head up, you an expert ! 👍

Currently the Hybrid is still not available over here, as yet. The link was helpful,

giving a better understanding of this new technology

Guess I'll just have to get use to it & adjust my driving accordingly, as I remember

the test-drive car also has this issue. Noticed the courtesy car(an NX) driver also

drives aggressively from standstill, maybe that's the best way to avoid the shift

shock 😂

Edited by Olderman
  • Praise 1

On 10/3/2019 at 2:52 PM, andrewyewkc said:

This system sounds more complicated. Hope this new technology will be just as reliable.

There is yet another gearbox even more complicated - Lexus Multi-Stage Hybrid System. It merges a conventional 4-speed torque converter gearbox to a e-CVT to come up with a 10-speed gearbox. It is in the LC500h and LS500h. Read about it here - 

https://paultan.org/2017/02/22/lexus-ls-500h-will-feature-multi-stage-hybrid-system/

• Praise 2

On 10/9/2019 at 6:36 PM, Toeknee_33 said:

There is yet another gearbox even more complicated - Lexus Multi-Stage Hybrid System. It merges a conventional 4-speed torque converter gearbox to a e-CVT to come up with a 10-speed gearbox. It is in the LC500h and LS500h. Read about it here - 

https://paultan.org/2017/02/22/lexus-ls-500h-will-feature-multi-stage-hybrid-system/

Wow, that's really complicating though intriquing to read 

The UX comes with 10 speed manual select as well, is there a different from that ?

Edited by Olderman

20 hours ago, Olderman said:

Wow, that's really complicating though intriquing to read 

The UX comes with 10 speed manual select as well, is there a different from that ?

Well, not really. The 10 speeds in the UX gearbox are ratios that are set electronically in the supposedly gear-less system, whereas the Multi-stage really has 4 real cogs.

For Toyota's 10sp direct shift cvt the first gear is transmitted thru a real gear pinion to eliminate the lag of the cvt belt drive. See video demo. (ignore the Japanese English. I dunno why they would call it a "launch gear". Their ang moh can be rather confusing.)

The rest of the 9 gears are virtual gears or programmed gear ratios. Gearbox is the hardware . You also need a software to run it. Engineers are able to program the virtual gears using software.

But whether it's a planetary gearbox or a cvt gearbox it's still transmitting power thru a series of gear pinions and onto the torque converter. CVT gearbox are also mated to a torque converter like a planetary gearbox. So for Toyota they have combined the cvt and the planetary gearbox to reduce the cons and improve on the pros of the two gb.

A planetary gb is what ppl here called the "conventional auto" gb. 

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

On 10/2/2019 at 10:13 AM, Olderman said:

a CVT system ?.

What you are experiencing is the transition or shift from a gear drive to the belt drive. If you saw the video I posted earlier you will see the "fork" shift from the gear pinion to the belt drive. I know at certain low speed you will experience the shift but when you floor it you dont feel it at all. It's a short coming but it isnt critical.

The 10sp direct shift cvt is quite efficient, right? When you are cruising at 100km/hr what is your engine speed? Approx. 1500rpm right?

Most cars running at that speed the engine rpm is around 2000rpm.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Contemplating these choices, UXh, Kia Niro hybrid, Corolla hybrid, CX30, CX5. Any thoughts, advice or experiences to share.

thanks!

9 hours ago, Hybrids said:

Contemplating these choices, UXh, Kia Niro hybrid, Corolla hybrid, CX30, CX5. Any thoughts, advice or experiences to share.

thanks!

cx5 sticks out of this list.....i think its much bigger than the rest? i personally will pick cs5 though, for its size and design

↡ Advertisement