How do you accelerate in an automatic car?

Philipkee

Is that why we accelerate very fast in Malaysia :D ?

my previous volvo T5, drive slow drink more petrol.

drive fast, the fuel economy is better.

↡ Advertisement

It has nothing to do with sport mode.

Skill + grippy sport tyre.

Cant down shift.....so let the selector choose the gears for you? Yrs back me and a cuz drove around PD and cupping corners due to the road design. He was driving an 2.4 auto and his cornering line was everywhere while i was mostly on 3rd and 4th. Didnt ask him but i think he was doing mostly acceleration and braking.

Cant down shift.....so let the selector choose the gears for you? Yrs back me and a cuz drove around PD and cupping corners due to the road design. He was driving an 2.4 auto and his cornering line was everywhere while i was mostly on 3rd and 4th. Didnt ask him but i think he was doing mostly acceleration and braking.

Kayu driver lo

Brake before exit. Sure no problem even AT

I have no problem cupping corner in Mitsubishi Triton AT le.

Edited by Davidtch

Kayu driver lo

Brake before exit. Sure no problem even AT

I have no problem cupping corner in Mitsubishi Triton AT le.

I not sure....he would of course brake before the corners but the car seem to be drifting wide on exit. For my mt i would down from 5th to 4th or sometime 3 depending on the corner. Never drove an auto cupping corners before so its rather awkward for me to give an opinion.
  • Praise 1

I not sure....he would of course brake before the corners but the car seem to be drifting wide on exit. For my mt i would down from 5th to 4th or sometime 3 depending on the corner. Never drove an auto cupping corners before so its rather awkward for me to give an opinion.

Honestly, cup corner no need downshift.

All you need is smooth line.

On road, you can't be too aggressive on entry and exit speed.

yes i really dislike that especially the turbodiesel cabs with a lot of torque, then ease off, torque again ease off.

I really don't like sitting in cabs

They think they are still driving manual.

Actually don't need to stomp on the gas. Diesels don't have enough RPM range to play.

Release brake and step to about half way, then maintain pedal position, the car will accelerate forward quickly due to the high torque.

• Praise 1

PHV drivers also drive the way they like.....just saying :D

Is he 49 years old, drivers a Maserati

and good in geography? Is that Henry?

:D

• Praise 3

Honestly, cup corner no need downshift.

All you need is smooth line.

On road, you can't be too aggressive on entry and exit speed.

I scared not to downshift hor......i nearly slammed into the right railing of bke to sle once.....got distracted just before the corner so i didnt shift down so i braked but the car seemed to be on a straight trajectory even as i was steering to the left. Not sure how but i managed to downshift and made the s corner. Nowadays seldom can get both lane free due to heavy traffic and slow heavy vehicle.

Just look at your car's power graph and you can easily extrapolate how to maximise the power from the engine.

Eg. In this glc's power graph, you see the torque max out really early in rpm and remains flat throughout but only till 4k rpm. After 4k rpm, the torque drops off and the hp also plateau off. So just need to keep your rpm boiling between 1.5-4k rpm to maximise the returns. 

Mercedes-Benz-GLC-88.jpg

It has nothing to do with sport mode.

Skill + grippy sport tyre.

Agree. Many often underestimate the importance of good grippy tyres in giving the driver more confidence to corner faster and safer. 

• Praise 1

Just look at your car's power graph and you can easily extrapolate how to maximise the power from the engine.

Eg. In this glc's power graph, you see the torque max out really early in rpm and remains flat throughout but only till 4k rpm. After 4k rpm, the torque drops off and the hp also plateau off. So just need to keep your rpm boiling between 1.5-4k rpm to maximise the returns.

Mercedes-Benz-GLC-88.jpg

Should it be 4k to 6k to max out the power? The graph says so....
  • Praise 1

I scared not to downshift hor......i nearly slammed into the right railing of bke to sle once.....got distracted just before the corner so i didnt shift down so i braked but the car seemed to be on a straight trajectory even as i was steering to the left. Not sure how but i managed to downshift and made the s corner. Nowadays seldom can get both lane free due to heavy traffic and slow heavy vehicle.

I rarely need to downshift to cup corner.

As I don't commute, I always get to cup corner at quite high speed.

I rarely need to downshift to cup corner.

As I don't commute, I always get to cup corner at quite high speed.

I think even Lewis Hamilton will be scared to go into a corner without down shifting....

We talking about acceleration from stop. That's all torque.

Only when we talking about high speed top end, hp will then come in. 

Which is why turbo diesels like taxis will out drag most NA 1.6 (even 2.0) petrol cars from traffic light but losses their grunt when reaching higher speed. 

Should it be 4k to 6k to max out the power? The graph says so....

Edited by Vratenza

I guess most drivers in Singapore use method 3 and probably are worried to rev past 2000rpm worrying that their expensive piece of metal may explode past that threshold. It takes them forever to pick up speed from red light and they slow down when they reach a little gradient. That way of driving is probably the first cause of traffic congestion here.

No need to jam the throttle either. A steady press is all what is needed. Modern gearbox addapt the gear change according to the throttle angle so there is no need to force shifting by lifting off the throttle.

And the taxi drivers who pump the throttle all the time they should be arrested, jailed, canned and hung for the sake of common good! 

• Praise 5

I guess most drivers in Singapore use method 3 and probably are worried to rev past 2000rpm worrying that their expensive piece of metal may explode past that threshold. It takes them forever to pick up speed from red light and they slow down when they reach a little gradient. That way of driving is probably the first cause of traffic congestion here.

No need to jam the throttle either. A steady press is all what is needed. Modern gearbox addapt the gear change according to the throttle angle so there is no need to force shifting by lifting off the throttle.

And the taxi drivers who pump the throttle all the time they should be arrested, jailed, canned and hung for the sake of common good!

I notice some cab drivers did (2) once they hit the highway to recharge their prius hybrid batteries.

I ever witness before the cabbie pump the pedal and the display shows the engine charging the batt and running the car. Then when he let go the pedal the rolling of the car continue to charge the batt while engine cut off. Then pump again to repeat process.

The cabbie manages to charged his batt from 1/4 full to 1/2 full in that 10 to 15min trip in the highway!!

Edited by Pocus
↡ Advertisement