Singapore Reckless Drivers Part VI

RadX

I know PHVs have become easy targets, but this could've happened to anyone.

That Shell station design is very poor with one entrance (Bt Timah Rd) and two exits (Bt Timah and Winstedt).

It is possible to do this quite unknowingly if one is unfamiliar with the design of the road.

I would say more than a few stations have their entry and exits being done weirdly ... you have to be there a few times before you know your way around.

I also get confused sometime when I am pumping at new stations ... eg the Shell at Bishan ...

↡ Advertisement

Poor design of petrol stations is one issue. That should be feed back to the petrol station management for corrective actions such as putting up large prominent signs to direct the traffic.

Going against the flow of traffic without taking care to check the road markings and signs resulting in  endangering other road users is another separate issue.

If we all take a minute to pause and look at all the available exits at the petrol station, observe the traffic flow, take note of how one came into the petrol station if it is a one way entry or dual way entrance/exit, all these dangerous driving can be avoided.

Most times are just drivers being lazy and not doing their part in sensible driving and road safety.

We have not even talked about blatant disregard for the rules and deliberate flouting of the rules just so that they shave 1 minute off their travel time. That we see a lot of in the recent PHV's antics like cutting across 3-4 lanes perpendicularly just to make a turn.

All said, I too felt that SG Road Vigilante can be pretty petty in terms of the kind of offence they choose to blow up in the social media scene.

Edited by Vratenza
  • Praise 1

Poor design of petrol stations is one issue. That should be feed back to the petrol station management for corrective actions such as putting up large prominent signs to direct the traffic.

Going against the flow of traffic without taking care to check the road markings and signs resulting in endangering other road users is another separate issue.

If we all take a minute to pause and look at all the available exits at the petrol station, observe the traffic flow, take note of how one came into the petrol station if it is a one way entry or dual way entrance/exit, all these dangerous driving can be avoided.

Most times are just drivers being lazy and not doing their part in sensible driving and road safety.

We have not even talked about blatant disregard for the rules and deliberate flouting of the rules just so that they shave 1 minute off their travel time. That we see a lot of in the recent PHV's antics like cutting across 3-4 lanes perpendicularly just to make a turn.

All said, I too felt that SG Road Vigilante can be pretty petty in terms of the kind of offence they choose to blow up in the social media scene.

All I can say is most drivers don't know how to drive.

These drivers only know how to get their license.

Poor situational awareness and judgement.

A lot of massive accidents are caused by daily commuter. Not those drive once in a blue moon drivers.

• Praise 1

smlj is economic geography?

ð¤ð¬

how to sell 99 lh land to 69%

and prepare statements for garmen that try to convince hdb are owners and not leasee as stated in the sales agreement

• Praise 6

I definitely agree with you on this part. I was muted because the admin lost an argument. I promptly left the group after that.

One of the mods/admins is a member here.

I know PHVs have become easy targets, but this could've happened to anyone.

That Shell station design is very poor with one entrance (Bt Timah Rd) and two exits (Bt Timah and Winstedt).

It is possible to do this quite unknowingly if one is unfamiliar with the design of the road.

It may also be *necessary* to do this knowingly given that the exit to Bt Timah is occasionally blocked by heavy vehicles such as tow trucks (I have experienced this personally). Drivers may be left with no option but to turn out into Winstedt road. It is not even practically possible to proceed along Winstedt road in the intended direction of traffic flow and merge with Bt Timah within a reasonable distance - the most direct route I can fathom is to go along Clemenceau Ave and rejoin Newton Circus. This is quite ridiculous.

I know driving against the flow of traffic is quite the hot button issue these days. While driving against the flow can be very dangerous, this is one of those instances when it is actually *not* dangerous, since drivers turning in from the main road will have to slow down considerably and have ample time to spot drivers coming out of Winstedt road. This also gives the "errant" drivers the opportunity to turn into the main road safely. When there is give and take and a little understanding all around, this can all be done efficiently and safely.

But that site (SG Road Vigilante) is definitely *not* about give and take and understanding. It's more about stoking schadenfreude and ensuring the most trivial and niggling offences are reported to the police (that's fine) and also publicly shamed (that's not). The admin is a complete twat also, censoring dissenting opinions and banning those who speak up against him (often on the side of reason and restraint).

It's sad that this site seems to be pandering to that mentality and even driving traffic toward crap sites like that. When the "reckless drivers" thread was first started, it mostly had original content captured by users here and showed really egregious offences. Now it seems anything goes.

• Praise 7

I definitely agree with you on this part. I was muted because the admin lost an argument. I promptly left the group after that.

One of the mods/admins is a member here.

who har?

please advise

thanks

[thumbsup]  [:)]

• Praise 1

who har?

please advise

thanks

[thumbsup][:)]

Yes. Inquiring minds want to know.

After all, it's not like they give a crap about privacy on their FB page. :D

Sauce for the goose... (yes Mr Roast Goose, I still remember). [laugh]

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

I don't see him posting in MCF for quite a while already.

The user name starts with ming****

I remember he used to drive a Ford Focus RS or ST.

who har?

please advise

thanks

[thumbsup]  [:)]

• Praise 1

I don't see him posting in MCF for quite a while already.

The user name starts with ming****

I remember he used to drive a Ford Focus RS or ST.

Thanks. I remember someone called mingsze or something.

Not really. Can see the brake lights came on for quite a while before the impact. Most likely the tires are worn and combined with the wet condition, the taxi is slidding towards the stopped car. 

I had a rear end accident years ago on a straight section of PIE with the red taxi came sliding towards my boot despite a bone dry road and he had 10 car lengths to react. The taxi lau can come out to say, he braked but cannot seem to stop. I looked at the tires, already worn quite badly. He or the taxi company must have tried to max out the lifespan of the tires. 

I think the causal factor is the sudden change in light ambience. Suddenly blackout then bright again.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2