Singapore Reckless Drivers Part VI

RadX

I don't know how the current rules been and when does it changes to cycling abreast allowed .... :slow:

I had been cycling since late 60's and have not been cycling for the past 19 years. I all I know is that on main road, one is to cycle in single row. Not allowed to cycle on expressway.

Pardon me for my naive.  :lll._.:

I learned the existence of Road Traffic Act (Bicycle) from MCF.

Before 2018 amendment, 2 abreast has always been allowed since either 1992 or 2005.

↡ Advertisement

nbz....

accident happened earlier lah....and the bike was left to go on its own

Ya man, but when they run red light, zip thru zebra crossing, anyhow cycle all over the shop we lan lan cause they're legally permitted on the road and methods of identification until they get run over.

See law enforcers then say such long repeated sentences (vocal king), try saying to common road userslike us

• Praise 6

Twincharged

LTA approved such 2 abreast cycling still makes them a nuisance on the road.

LTA is so good with nurturing stupid behaviour on the road. First bus drivers and now this.

Local road is built with no cyclist in mind.

So 2 abreast is simply sheer stupidity.

I actually feel that being allowed to cycle 2 abreast is better. If you overtake in the correct manner leaving a 1.5m gap from a moving vehicle/pedestrian as taught in BTT, it is impossible to overtake anyone without switching to the next lane. So whether cyclists cycle 2 abreast or in a single file, you'll still have to overtake by changing to the next lane if you drive safely and considerately. 

So, if there is a big group of 10 cyclists on the road, if they have cycle in a single file, it means that you'll have to change lanes and overtake one long line of 10 cyclists before you can get back to the left lane. Whereas, if they cycle 2 abreast, the distance you have to overtake is reduced by half which makes it easier for other vehicles to overtake them safely.

Of course this doesn't apply if you are the reckless/inconsiderate kind of driver that will squeeze past a cyclist/motorcyclist to overtake them instead of changing to the next lane.

Edited by Nzy

Twincharged

Sorry to disagree. Riding abreast only serves to inconvenience others. Overtake yes, but continuously, nope.

Like I said, depending on what type of driver you are. The safe and considerate kind or the kind that will squeeze past motorcyclists and cyclists. 

When cyclists cycle abreast, the dangerous kind of drivers will feel inconvenienced because they are being forced to give the cyclists space when overtaking. So definitely some will consider cycling abreast to be inconsiderate.

This debate is never ending.

I only know if there’s an accident, who is at the losing end.

That is true. That is why cyclists have to learn how to make themselves visible and give themselves space. Imagine if you cycle right at the edge of the road, there is no where to go once you meet a reckless driver. Cyclists have to learn to protect themselves if they want to cycle on the roads. Not every driver is safe and considerate. But its getting better now. Most drivers do change lanes when overtaking nowadays. Hardly meet drivers who overtake me with less than 1.5m already. Used to report at least 3-4 drivers a week and have to go down to court at least once a month. Now, report about once a week and only went court once in the past 3 months.

Edited by Nzy

This debate is never ending.

I only know if there’s an accident, who is at the losing end.

precisely, at the end of the day, its metal vs human bones and flesh when something happens. 

• Praise 1

if girl show u 1 breast and u the chin chai type will say ok no 2 breast 1 oso ok la, but some who feel must show 2 will be unhappy why only show 1

if girl one shot show u 2 breast and u the type like to be take it slow and easy type will be unhappy y so quickly show all, but the chin type will say ok la since show liao just take lor

both types will have unhappy users lor

• Praise 2

Singapore roads  and lanes already so narrow compared to big angmoh roads. 

Seem like everyone wants a lane for themselves.  <_<

One lane for bus, one lane for cyclist/PMD SUA! Just leave whatever lanes left over for lorries/trucks to hog and we car drivers just take whatever is left. 

Edited by Vratenza
  • Praise 5