'Fashionable' not to own or drive a car in Singapore: Sitoh

Vratenza

Not true.

I still see many young people aspiring and wanting to own a car. Many young friends I have had already changed or bought their first car for the past few years.

Life is not just about dollars and cents, especially if the money can be used to improve your life. Else why work so hard when you can't even use the money to improve your life and being independent of your needs instead of being deprived from others' control of your needs?

All these costs are man made. Don't be manipulated by these costs, which is being manipulated by other people.

The funny thing is, those who can jolly well afford either buy small car or don't drive. Those who can't and stretch themselves buy and they want the best. So, it is about priority in life and what do you classify and enjoyment. TDM is very good in explaining this subject haha

• Praise 2

Perhaps those who are already rich have nothing to prove.  They are comfortable with themselves.

Those up and coming perhaps still want to compare to their peers, be it property, cars, bags, watches....

The funny thing is, those who can jolly well afford either buy small car or don't drive. Those who can't and stretch themselves buy and they want the best. So, it is about priority in life and what do you classify and enjoyment. TDM is very good in explaining this subject haha

• Praise 4

but hor...I heard most of the MCFers here pay full cash one leh...no loan no trap right? [sly]  [lipsrsealed]  :ninja:

Red Bean Soup buy car shop and house all full cash too  :ph34r:

.......... I know ONE that bought a BMW just to Chop the parking lot in his condo . 

[thumbsup]

• Praise 4

I agree that the current generation (and us, the older generation) are seriously thinking of NOT owning a car. This is the same trend in large cities around the world. Londoners now don't bother to get a drivers license, they prefer ride-hailing. let someone else worry about the driving, navigation and congestion.  In Spore, you do the math - the annual cost of a car is at least $15,000, counting depreciation, car loan interest, insurance, road tax, servicing, parking, ERP and petrol. That is 600 to 700 rides with Grab, or GoJek. If you use MRT/bus for some trips that's probably 900 or more trips a year.

Its not about fashionable - its simply dollars and cents.

Just different priorities depending on different demographics.

Some people like having a car but prefer to eat hawker food. 

Some people like to go stay in nice hotel during holidays or go for 2-3 more expensive holidays a year but want to take public transport or buy the cheapest car available.

Some like to buy nice car, go nice holiday etc but quite often, they are the ones who have earning power. The people who overstretch themselves are probably the minority. The majority of people are not as dumb as the media wants to portray them as.

Frankly i don't know any parent who hasn't bought a car yet (IF they could afford it).

The 5-7mins u wait for Grab or trying to get a taxi (as compared to just walking into the MSCP and immediately driving off) is also 600 x 5 = 50 hrs a year.  Waiting 10mins for grab is not uncommon for me where I stay. Often I've been tempted to just walk to my car and drive off but usually i can't cos i'm going to drink later.

If u have chores etc and have to fetch kids etc to school or classes or what not, this amount of time also can be saved.

Having a car lowers the barriers for me to do other stuff. 

• Praise 3

If everyone has the same priorities in life, the society will collapse under the strain in resources.

Just don't need some one to tell me what is "fashionable" or not.

• Praise 2

Improve life

Or

Debt trap?

Financial independence is MORE important than stuck in debt trap.

You didn't visit the property thread?

Every year increase 3%, what debt trap are you talking about?

• Praise 1

Some people like to go stay in nice hotel during holidays or go for 2-3 more expensive holidays a year but want to take public transport or buy the cheapest car available.

Some like to buy nice car, go nice holiday etc but quite often, they are the ones who have earning power. The people who overstretch themselves are probably the minority. The majority of people are not as dumb as the media wants to portray them as.

Frankly i don't know any parent who hasn't bought a car yet (IF they could afford it).

The 5-7mins u wait for Grab or trying to get a taxi (as compared to just walking into the MSCP and immediately driving off) is also 600 x 5 = 50 hrs a year. Waiting 10mins for grab is not uncommon for me where I stay. Often I've been tempted to just walk to my car and drive off but usually i can't cos i'm going to drink later.

If u have chores etc and have to fetch kids etc to school or classes or what not, this amount of time also can be saved.

True, if you have that extra and want convenient. For those that depend on the car to do this biz or company pays for the car expenditures, the decision is quite simple.

If you have save on others just to drive from point A to B, thrn you must be a car lover to sacrifice so much. I am sure MCF members are smart people.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Just don't need some one to tell me what is "fashionable" or not.

For most people, a car is not part of fashion.

But to other millions making ones, maybe they can regard it as one as they can afford to change 1 every season.

• Praise 1

On 1/14/2019 at 2:23 PM, Lala81 said:

The 5-7mins u wait for Grab or trying to get a taxi (as compared to just walking into the MSCP and immediately driving off) is also 600 x 5 = 50 hrs a year.  Waiting 10mins for grab is not uncommon for me where I stay. Often I've been tempted to just walk to my car and drive off but usually i can't cos i'm going to drink later.

I do know of such people. Super central property though.