Who like dogs?

Discoburg

I love all dogs with exception of those in white with collars bearing a lightning logo.

can u keep this nonsense out of the thread.

pls don't insult dogs. 

Can we possibly keep politics out of one single thread in the entire MCF.

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement
  • Dislike 2

wow nice photos!

Are they adults?

"mini" is 1 yr old and "cooper" is 2 yrs old

photo was taken by pets sister at the boarding house last mth when we are away to US.

can u keep this nonsense out of the thread.

Can we possibly keep politics out of one single thread in the entire MCF.

Ok, I agree dogs are just to sacred to be linked with politics and we should keep this thread "pure breed" doggie related, so as not to offend the many dog lovers here. Let them concentrate on their doggies and not get distracted.

I am constantly looking to adopt or buy a dog, I prefer to keep it from puppy so adoption quite hard unless I go for singapore special which my family don't like. I found local pet shop sell their dogs very expensive no wander is a multi million dollar business.

Lifetime commitment once u have a dog. Its lifetime and sometimes ours, if we go first.

Pls dun adopt or buy one because Alex or Jane or Joe says its fun and easy to take care. Easy if you only do the hugging and loving and the rest like walk the dog, pick up its poo, prepare food and pay the bills is someone else's in the family.

I have a schnauzer. Puppy to now currently 11 plus doggy years. Toilet trained and will not growl when u stroke him or take away his food bowl in the middle of him chomping. Obedient and understands some regular commands like sit, take toy toy, drink water, kaikai, walk walk, treat treat, or or and NO NO. A loud sound TSK TSK will automatically make him sit and look at you.

He still thinks he's a puppy, will behave like one and attempt to leap up the sofa to meet it in his face cos his hind legs spring got abit rusty.

Loves car rides and walks in the garden. Cos of the high sodium content in his dog biscuits where his blood count was something like a 1,060 versus a normal 300, he's now on home cooked food. Just glad that his liver regenerated and recovery was faster than expected. Damage during this period was $2k. When his gum got infected, the operation to remove a growth in his mouth plus medication came up to $1.1k...its not cheap hence u do come across some good pedigree dogs abandoned cos owner did not want to pay so much or cannot afford to.

The pleasure and comfort he brings is not tangible or calculated in terms of processed tree barks. He's very therapeutic and to him, you are really his entire world.

So, please adopt or buy one only if you are willing to take good care of it and walk it to the end of it's doggy life. If you the type that cannot take eternal separation from a pet, then dun. Painful. But it also teaches one to cope with death, in a good way...reminder that life is just a short journey on earth. Dun take everything to heart and so hard on oneself, others etc. Dogs, cats etc ...God's gifts of 4 legged companion to humans.

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 8

I'm all for adoption even for a mongrel. All 3 adopted "children" have passed on in my home, I am satisfied that even if they did not have a very enjoyable time in the beginning of their lives, at least, they passed away in a home that they can called theirs.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mongrel (a cross corgi) - 13 years with me before being put to sleep due to AIHA. Adopted as a puppy.

Silky Terrier - found shivering in Turf City under a tree. Couldn't find the owner and ended up keeping her for the rest of her life. Passed away in her sleep.

Shetland Sheepdog - abandoned by owner when struck by heartworm disease. Claimed not to have money to treat him but ended up buying a new Mercs several months later. Treated him back to full health before putting to sleep when he became too old. Paralysis and all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite all the publicity of the plight of unwanted dogs (all pets in fact), many are still preferring to buy from a pet mill than give a chance to these homeless furballs. Granted, not all of them are suitable for HDB (size concerns etc) but I am sure if one finds hard enough, there will always be one who can fit. The rest, is about your bonding with your new family member.

Be prepared to fork out money and time. Be very honest with yourself on your financial ability and time schedule. I have heard one too many times "ohhhhhh I will plan out my time, no worries" before it quickly become "I really have no choice because of my work" several months later. Really, Seriously, heard enough of these excuses.

A simply routine visit to the vet can cost a simple $200-$300 .... you might not think much of it. But just like car maintenance, when a major problem comes up, you better be sure you can afford the thousands.

The heartworm disease treatment for my Sheltie set back about $3k+ ..... for my AIHA kiddo, his failed treatment still added up to about $6k+ within 2 months for repeated blood tests, change in diet and various medication. It all ended only when the vet and I discussed that there is less than 10% chance of him recovering even with blood transfusion etc.

It's really no joke.

And it wasn't just about the money. The emotional turmoil is one of the reasons some people chose not to have a dog even if they love dog. It wasn't easy getting over the demise of our little ones. Holding his paw, watching the vet punching in the final two syringes, looking at him in his eyes as they went dreary, detecting the stoppage of breathing, his heartbeat....... and yet my hands still feeling the warmth of him as though he is still alive. Putting him in the black bag, preparing for cremation etc..... Can you handle this kind of emotions?

This is not a challenge of whether you are strong enough to withstand it, but rather, this concerns the life of a living creature. Fully with emotions and love. This is beyond just a four-legged creature crawling up to you when you get home.

• Praise 7

I am constantly looking to adopt or buy a dog, I prefer to keep it from puppy so adoption quite hard unless I go for singapore special which my family don't like. I found local pet shop sell their dogs very expensive no wander is a multi million dollar business.

Go visit SPCA regularly ( I used to go to the Mt Vernon one quite regularly ) in the old days ..... many nice dogs are there and some pedigree ones too at times and check their website too
  • Praise 3

If you think buying a dog is expensive. You should look at my vet bills. 

your dogs look quite healthy in the photos ... What's wrong?

Just trying to make the time to walk the dog regularly (if not everyday) is a major effort, i can tell you that.

My wife takes care of the dog, I'm in charge of walking. 

I can't say i do it everyday but on some days, just too tired or busy to spare the time.

Lol still must entertain her, haha go different routes to smell different smells  [laugh]

(edited)

It's a major undertaking.

If you don't want to adopt, just get a puppy.

Surely got some costs to it one lah especially most of them are pedigree dogs. 

If u are not sure about the timing, wait on it for a few years and when you are interested then do it lor.

Honestly, I think it's quite a lot of trouble taking care of a healthy dog (don't even talk about older or ones with health problems).

But my wife and kids love the dog, and it's just part of the family lor.

Edited by Lala81

Turbocharged

If u are budget consicious, pls think thrice about having a dog. The medical bills during old age can be scary.

Supercharged

Think you should not even adopt. The cost of upkeep will be much more than the prices at the shops which is “expensive” to you........ just go play with someone else dog....... you are not ready yet.

• Praise 2

my dog whom died about 9 months back ; with a 3 day stay in the Vet clinic and treatment came to over $4,000++ almost 5K ... money gone never mind..... excluding the funeral expenses which was another few hundred $ ..... the trauma he went thru' and my whole family as a whole was like Hell, the detachment was painful .... akin to your own kid gone 

If u are budget consicious, pls think thrice about having a dog. The medical bills during old age can be scary.

• Praise 5

my dog whom died about 9 months back ; with a 3 day stay in the Vet clinic and treatment came to over $4,000++ almost 5K ... money gone never mind..... excluding the funeral expenses which was another few hundred $ ..... the trauma he went thru' and my whole family as a whole was like Hell, the detachment was painful .... akin to your own kid gone 

Tough to see a family member go ...

Ready to get another one yet?

Tough to see a family member go ...

Ready to get another one yet?

Nope ..... memory lingers on ..... too painful
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1