COE Bidding – 1st Round of October 2018

Carbon82

Should regulations change that OPC car do NOT need a COE? Or just a fixed cost eg SGD100 for an OPC COE?

- OPC only drives during off peak and Public Holidays. Using road spare capacity when it's not jam. Not contributing much to peak hour jam

- OPS driven during leisure times, people are not in hurry. It doesn't hurt too much on country economy output efficiency.

- Malaysian cars enter for free without VEP during nights, weekends and public holidays (similar period of time as OPC is allowed). VEP objective, from my understanding, is to make cost more "equal" between Singaporean and Malaysian cars on Singapore roads. So, why Malaysian cars no need VEP and OPC is still subject to COE when they are allowed same period of times?

- We can have higher e-day license like SGD35  or same as VEP rate.

- If OPC wants to convert to normal car, then you need to bid for a COE and pay yo proportion number of years remaining.

- OPC doesn't need to be subjected to car population limit. 

Just idea.

Strangely i find myself agreeing with you in terms of your logic. But actually even on weekends the roads can be quite crowded at times and if more people start buying and driving OPC on weekends then soon weekends will become jammed as well. Anyway even without COE most people still won't buy OPC as their first car as they need their car almost daily. Other than making weekend traffic worse, the other downside I can forsee is that the high SES people may start buying more 2nd (or 3rd) car as OPC to drive them on weekends. This will increase the number of cars and may cause parking issues at HDB estates (private condos already have limits on number of season parking allowed per unit) which do not have multi storey carparks. Probably HDB needs to impose higher season parking charges for household who want second season parking ticket. 

Based on the current COE levels of around $30k, OPCs not having to pay COE is not going to be seen as much of a big deal to those who paid for normal COE especially if the e-day license is increased to say $30 ot $35 because the e-day license will quickly outstrip the COE savings. But if COE goes back to the $60k levels (or more) then the impact is much greater and by then $30 e-day license fee may no longer be seen as "enough".  Based on $30 e-day license, a $60k saving on COE can buy 2000 e-day licenses which is 200 weekday days a year (not including weekends and PH). And since these are paid on a per use basis, it also reduces the upfront cost (including interest from loan) to OPC buyers compared to normal car buyers who pay for the whole of the COE upfront. That's prob why the govt fixed the OPC "discount" at $17k so that it can tie to the e-day license rate. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

Should regulations change that OPC car do NOT need a COE? Or just a fixed cost eg SGD100 for an OPC COE?

- OPC only drives during off peak and Public Holidays. Using road spare capacity when it's not jam. Not contributing much to peak hour jam

- OPS driven during leisure times, people are not in hurry. It doesn't hurt too much on country economy output efficiency.

- Malaysian cars enter for free without VEP during nights, weekends and public holidays (similar period of time as OPC is allowed). VEP objective, from my understanding, is to make cost more "equal" between Singaporean and Malaysian cars on Singapore roads. So, why Malaysian cars no need VEP and OPC is still subject to COE when they are allowed same period of times?

- We can have higher e-day license like SGD35 or same as VEP rate.

- If OPC wants to convert to normal car, then you need to bid for a COE and pay yo proportion number of years remaining.

- OPC doesn't need to be subjected to car population limit.

Just idea.

9-10 years ago, many OPC car owners never pay COE. lol.
  • Praise 1

I just replaced my 10-yr old Altis with Elantra. I can feel Altis pickup is slightly better but in term of space and comfort...

Elantra wins... the back seats are at least 5inches longer with Aircon outlet. A colleague who own i30 Hyundai for 9+ Yr with 250,000km on it with little maintenance issue... hope reliability ok on my Elantra :).

Are you taking  your previous 10 years old model Altis or new model Altis to compare?

last time got some property agent friends also kept repeating "property prices sure rise one, prices will never fall cos Singapore land is limited, dun buy now sure regret next time"

after that they also went diam diam for a good long period :D

I think that because Gov keep coming up with new measures to ensure prices down... there is no way price increase can be a lot of stamp duty keep increasing and maximum loan % keep reducing. :) Edited by Vicloo

Neutral Newbie

you will always start the thread timely. Respect !
Looking at your table, five years on and COE of both Cat A and B have dropped from the high of >$90k to now $30k. If without the uber distription, price would have come down much earlier and likelihood, lower.
Buy buy buy, this is the good time.  thank your service!

• Praise 1

9-10 years ago, many OPC car owners never pay COE. lol.

At that time let say COE 12k and off peak car just got rebate 12k instead of 17k ?

you will always start the thread timely. Respect !

Looking at your table, five years on and COE of both Cat A and B have dropped from the high of >$90k to now $30k. If without the uber distription, price would have come down much earlier and likelihood, lower.

Buy buy buy, this is the good time. thank your service!

Stupiak Ubor !

@carbon82, time for community service :D

looks like he has left for year end holiday . we can continue the COE TCSS here . 

Edited by Ct3833
↡ Advertisement