Multimillion-Dollar Civil Suits against 3 Workers’ Party MPs

Carbon82

11 hours ago, Playtime said:

It was really a master stroke..

The moment they realise they may lose seats,  they fast hand fast leg started the TC system.  So they can carry out targeted strikes at disobedient voters. Other wise,  if centralised, very hard to justify why certain wards specially targeted for punishment. 

Just imagine if old system  how to tell the civil service rank and file that certain wards must punish?😳

Now so much easier. 

And the rejected pap candidate seem can act like godfather behind tbe scenes.. who sometime seem to have more powers than the elected mp.

Today ST say WP is after political interest 🤯.. the whole TC system is set up for PAP political interest never say. 

Ya.. Really hope things change after the coming GE. Be it opposition win the seat, these opposition party should be given an opportunity to just take over all the existing system without creating a new one. 

If not it really makes no sense every 5 years new party take over, change system that cost money. So every 5 years Hugh expenditure for unnecessary. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Lai lao.. Even hdb also come out and comment. Now there is one issue.. Will hdb comment for future cases that let's say involved with Pap Town Council wrong doings too? If yes, it will be fair, if not then we all know already. 

Something need to be stopped.. There are just many people just want to put a good book to their bosses and then thinking that doing certain action can score point. However if look deep, it may backfire. So will this post backfire? Hmm.. 

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Fcw75 said:

Aiya, why so surprised? 

What they did with the selected president, what else they can’t do?

$ingapore is indeed a 'democratic society'! 赞👍👍

• Praise 4

previously under the MPs care, several town councils lost millions in Lehman brothers.

public money that was supposed to only be invested in safe instruments

if the majority wants the same then be it

if and if should the country returned to a fishing village then dont blame anyone but ourselves

it is incredible those who fight with teeth and claw to want more of the same BUT shxt hits the fan on them suddenly they cry mother  and cry father.

in any case, it is a democratic process even if there is political maneuvering, still we have a vote that is solely determined by us alone, so literally the future is in our own hands.

More importantly we have to respect the outcome because the majority choose their and our fate.

Nothing we can do except bite the pillow corner at night and cry while you sleep.

• Praise 3

14 hours ago, Christan said:

https://www.straitstimes.com/politics/ahtc-case-residents-not-surprised-by-verdict-but-most-hope-wp-mps-will-not-be-disqualified

Somehow when I read the headline, I get the impression the residents acknowledged it is a foregone conclusion that the WP MPs will be found guilty, no other verdict. Seems this is the one fix to end all fixes

Knn.... all the low ses voters casting doubt on our court.. never learn from LSW... go overseas also sue until you pants drop. 

Must sue and fix them ALL.... then election will be fair...🙄 wan sui wan sui wan wan sui

9 hours ago, Yewheng said:

Lai lao.. Even hdb also come out and comment. Now there is one issue.. Will hdb comment for future cases that let's say involved with Pap Town Council wrong doings too? If yes, it will be fair, if not then we all know already. 

Something need to be stopped.. There are just many people just want to put a good book to their bosses and then thinking that doing certain action can score point. However if look deep, it may backfire. So will this post backfire? Hmm.. 

Have they politicized the civil service?  I don't know but given the concern, HDB should do a LTA-on-MRT/bus thingy by taking back the running of all town councils to avoid putting more $34m at risk. They can outsource to private sector like LTA did for the public transport system.  Anyway, they own the TC assets and it is in their best interest to ensure these are put to good use and not abused for political reasons.  

I certainly didn't vote for my MP because he or she studied estate management in school and or is a great estate manager.  We expect our MPs to more importantly look after our interest at the national level and to vote / voice concerns against stupid agreements like CECA or White Paper 10.0, which is akan datang.

• Praise 6

4 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

Remember JB Jeyaretnam ?

Nothing has changed.

Growing up... I only have govt newspapers.. only read that jbj is basically siaolang and govt always right one... then i grew up and saw the real world, plus the internet came,  I learned that the truth it's not so simple.. for a start, highly qualified people like jbj don't throw their futures away if there wasn't a worthy cause. 

But then... I see the same kind of tricks still being used... maybe.. nothing has changed 😕

• Praise 5

3 minutes ago, Playtime said:

Growing up... I only have govt newspapers.. only read that jbj is basically siaolang and govt always right one... then i grew up and saw the real world, plus the internet came,  I learned that the truth it's not so simple.. for a start, highly qualified people like jbj don't throw their futures away if there wasn't a worthy cause. 

But then... I see the same kind of tricks still being used... maybe.. nothing has changed 😕

Pity CSJ too but kudos to him for staying true to himself.

• Praise 7

If one tries to understand how the courts work then you really cannot fault the court

when a charge or civil claim is made, the courts often just look at the legal aspect of that particular issue, that is,

if you are a robin hood, robbing from the rich to feed the poor, even you gain nothing but injuries, you still get convicted

from this we can then appreciate how the learned judge comes to his conclusion

irrespective of the reasons for appointing the agent by WP, even because there is a real political threat or perceived or preservation reasons to engage the agent service, by no open tender and worse working together with agent to ensure a smooth transition by having the agent, it still go against the principal of fair play

on this issue WP was found by the courts to be wrong

the courts handles legal issues in a logical and consistent manner and often does not allow society's moral issue to get in the way, this is precisely, why in some murder cases, it is obviously the person is the murderer but due to technical reasons (legal) he or she is set free

I am very sure the judge knows what is going on but his discretion of dealing the case is limited

• Praise 1

Good article..

http://theindependent.sg/ahtc-trial-the-real-monkey-in-the-room/

.....👍

Finally, the real monkey in the room has always been: Why are political parties in charge of running town councils? Is this not the job of the HDB? Should not everything be thrown back at the HDB? This is its work and this is what it is good at doing, taking care of the municipal problems at the constituency level. Development work other than these should be the territory of the relevant ministry or agency and they should be answerable to Parliament where the elected representatives can then question their decisions or plans.

There is a blockbuster Netflix series called Stranger Things. I would classify the HDB questioning someone on what itself ought to be doing as one of these Stranger Things. Can only happen in Singapore.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3