Multimillion-Dollar Civil Suits against 3 Workers’ Party MPs

Carbon82

oppo fixed.....qed

good job everyone! make sure remember to put into performance appraisal this year end to get good bonus

🤣

↡ Advertisement

On 3/5/2019 at 2:28 PM, Weez911 said:

Now we know what is this suit for....

===============================================================================================

https://mothership.sg/2019/03/ahtc-reply-submissions-rebut/

AHTC trial: WP leaders say AHTC lawyers suing them did not rebut key evidence

Next up, oral arguments in the High Court. ~ March 5, 11:08 am  

Did you think that the Aljunied Hougang Town Council-Pasir Ris Punggol Town Council (AHTC-PRPTC) trial was over?

You’ve got another think coming.

On March 4, Workers’ Party (WP) Secretary-General Pritam Singh, who is one of the case’s defendants, shared a post (see below section) that detailed arguments that the independent panel suing them has not responded to in the course of the case.

The post on their In Good Faith case blog summarised their latest round of reply submissions, as prepared by their lawyers at Tan, Rajah & Cheah.

Key evidence not rebutted

According to Pritam’s team of defendants and their lawyers, the plaintiffs have to prove the following in order to succeed:

•The appointment of FM Solutions and Services (FMSS) was improper.

•The appointment of third party contractors was improper, and

•The respective payments were made to them.

They said the plaintiffs have not done so, and provided “key evidence” that they believe have not been rebutted in the course of the trial, which concluded on Oct. 30 last year.

“Crucial” witness not called

Examples of “key evidence” remaining “unrebutted” include:

•Aljunied Town Council’s incumbent managing agent, CPG Facilities Management Pte Ltd, asked to be released after the WP won Aljunied GRC;

•FMSS/FMSI (FM Solutions and Integrated Services) and third-party subcontractors did in fact carry out the services for which they were contracted;

•The appointments and payments were done in accordance with the processes of the Town Council.

According to Channel NewsAsia, lawyers for FMSS agreed that key evidence was not rebutted, and said that the plaintiffs did not call “crucial” witnesses like Jeffrey Chua, CPG’s managing director.

During the AHTC trial, it was revealed that Chua held shares in CPG’s parent company, which supposedly presented a conflict of interest because he also happened to hold the post of Secretary at Aljunied Town Council at the time.

Closing submissions in January

In their closing submissions filed on Jan. 18, 2019, lawyers from Shook Lin & Bok, who represent the AHTC panel, argued that the defendants did not act in good faith.

They also highlighted the alleged conflicts of interest involving FMSS, as well as the “surge in profits” the company received after they were appointed Managing Agent of AHTC.

Counsel for the defence, on the other hand, argued in their closing submissions filed on the same day that the defendants had acted in good faith and owed only statutory duties to the Town Council, not a fiduciary obligation.

The case in brief

AHTC’s lawsuit was initiated by an independent panel that had been appointed to help AHTC recover allegedly improper payments.

The panel included senior counsels Philip Jeyaretnam, N. Sreenivasan and KPMG managing partner Ong Pang Thye.

AHTC is suing eight defendants, chief of whom being WP leaders Pritam, Low Thia Khiang and Sylvia Lim, over alleged improper payments involving millions of dollars.

They are also accused of breaching their fiduciary duties in the appointment of FMSS as their managing agent.

Both sides will present their final oral arguments in the High Court on April 9 and 10.

===============================================================================================

https://www.facebook.com/211352328887088/posts/2233476546674646

Pritam Singh

19 hrs ·

Dear friends,

Our reply submissions as prepared by our lawyers are as attached.

Sylvia, Mr Low and Pritam

Summary

————-

“For the Plaintiffs to succeed, they need to prove that the appointments of FMSS and the other third party contractors and the respective payments made to them were improper. They have not done so. The following key evidence of the Town Councillors remains unrebutted:

With respect to the Appointment and Payment of FMSS

(1) The incumbent MA, CPG requested to be released after WP was elected to Aljunied GRC.

(2) In appointing and paying FMSS, Ms Sylvia Lim was acting pursuant to the authority delegated to her by the TC to facilitate the handover during the interim period.

(3) When a tender was called in 2012 for the 2nd MA Contract and 2nd EMSU Contract, there were no bidders other than FMSS.

(4) The provider of the Town Council Management System (“TCMS”), Action Information Management Pte Ltd (“AIM”) terminated the provision of TCMS in June 2011.

(5) The incumbent EMSU contractors, CPG and EM Services did not wish to extend their provision of EMSU services after 30 September 2011.

With respect to the Appointment and Payment of FMSS and Third Party Contractors

(6) FMSS, FMSI and the other third party contractors did carry out the services which they were contracted for.

(7) FMSS, FMSI and the other third party contractors were paid in accordance with their respective contracts at rates charged by the previous contractors and/or were considered reasonable by the Town Councillors.

(8) The appointments and payments were in accordance with the processes of the TC.”

many knew the final conclusion even before it ended

do you remember the 200m radius around the polling station incident

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Simi the end?

They are not going to hang. If bankrupt got chance to discharge and make comeback some other day.

please give me sometime

let me have a talk with our banker the undertaker

I understand he has billions or even trillions

the problem is his currency is not as easily tradable like once CHINESE RMB used to be

in any case, I will do my best to convince the undertaker to contribute when the need arises

I heard his high tech note printing machine is even more advance than the USA Fed's printing machine, his money is printed with plenty of soul.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

54 minutes ago, Enye said:

oppo fixed.....qed

good job everyone! make sure remember to put into performance appraisal this year end to get good bonus

🤣

KPI for 2019 --> Sue until pants drop -- Achieved 😂

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 2

3 hours ago, Kyrios said:

May i say..the timing of the verdict is just nice...everything well planned and swee swee..good job!

It is expected!

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Ash2017 said:

many knew the final conclusion even before it ended

do you remember the 200m radius around the polling station incident

I don't remember but I googled...

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/current-affairs-lounge-17/pap-1997-omg-absolutely-ridiculous-5126683.html

This attorney general Chan Sek Keong went on the be our CHIEF JUSTICE for 6 freaking years..........

It is such stuff that makes you want to vote for opposition. 

The other incident in my mind of the Halimah election thing and how they can say our first elected president is not President Ong.

To me, I think this has shown how low they have dropped when they can give arguments which they know are not convincing to anyone.  

Edited by Wind30
  • Praise 2
  • Sad 2

29 minutes ago, Lycanthrope said:

gone liao  .. nothing to fight anymore ...   

Not really, im sure these folks would already have transition plans in place. Anyway time for ltk to take a step back, relak one corner and take out his popcorn and rear some song birds. He has done quite a fair bit these last 10-20 years. Respect...👍

Edited by Kyrios

4 hours ago, Weez911 said:

It's over. Even if they can pay the damages, the electorate has lost their confidence in them. This is a popularity contest, remember?

I do hope to be proved wrong next year.

Got chance wan lah. Sgp ppl are the most forgetful bunch. After a while they forget it ever happened and the popularity game starts all over again.

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, Kyrios said:

Bro..it is 34mirrion this time..dun think will be achievable..yeah looks like they will be finger snapped soon

AHTC lost $34m due to mismanagement? I doubt it.... Based on the suit, the trios are said to put $34m at risk. If AHTC had lost  so much money, Service & Conservancy Charges would have went up to cover the hole.   Has it went up drastically in recent years?  I would love to see the maths and hear the arguments on the damages.

• Praise 4

37 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

AHTC lost $34m due to mismanagement? I doubt it.... Based on the suit, the trios are said to put $34m at risk. If AHTC had lost  so much money, Service & Conservancy Charges would have went up to cover the hole.   Has it went up drastically in recent years?  I would love to see the maths and hear the arguments on the damages.

Nope in fact i tot i heard a colleague staying in that ward say it had gone down...but you know i know...

• Praise 3

1 minute ago, Freeder said:

WP machiam like sugarcane ...

kanna squeezed until dry dry..😅

Even dry dry already still kenna squeezeeeeeee.

Make sure no chap is missed.

2 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Got chance wan lah. Sgp ppl are the most forgetful bunch. After a while they forget it ever happened and the popularity game starts all over again.

i peasant didn’t forget 

just that ah gong very nice to me leh.. build sheltered walkways, enhance my slum value, give gst vouchers, utilities rebate and free chicken rice 

😂🤣

↡ Advertisement