Malaysia to ban smoking at all restaurants, hawker stalls

ChaosMyth

KEDAH - Malaysia will enforce a smoking ban on restaurants, coffee shops and hawker stalls nationwide from Jan 1, Sin Chew Daily cited Deputy Health Minister Lee Boon Chye as saying on Thursday (Oct 11).

The ban will cover all air-conditioned and non-air-conditioned restaurants, coffee shops, open-air hawker centres and street stalls.

Dr Lee announced the mandatory ban while chairing a health forum at the Asian Institute of Medical, Science and Technology in Kedah.

Those caught smoking at prohibited areas will be fined RM10,000 (S$3,300) and eateries found not enforcing the ban will be fined RM2,500.

The Star newspaper reported in September that the health ministry was pushing to gazette all open-air restaurants as no-smoking areas, according to Dr Lee.

The gazettement was not only to encourage smokers to kick the habit, but also to protect non-smokers from second-hand smoke due to tobacco products.

"No doubt smokers will say they have the right to smoke, but non-smokers also have the right to have smoke-free areas," Dr Lee had said.

The Gopeng MP is also seeking his fellow MPs' support to shut down the smoking room in Parliament by October.

He hopes the MPs who smoke will take the opportunity to quit smoking.

"This gazettement is Malaysia's commitment as a member state to the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control and adheres to the guidelines under Article 8 of the World Health Organisation," he added.

The current Control of Tobacco Product (Amendment) Regulations 2017 prohibits smoking in 21 areas including hospitals, public toilets, lifts, government premises as well as air-conditioned shops and offices. 

post-186600-0-21401300-1539247946_thumb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

KEDAH - Malaysia will enforce a smoking ban on restaurants, coffee shops and hawker stalls nationwide from Jan 1, Sin Chew Daily cited Deputy Health Minister Lee Boon Chye as saying on Thursday (Oct 11).

The ban will cover all air-conditioned and non-air-conditioned restaurants, coffee shops, open-air hawker centres and street stalls.

Dr Lee announced the mandatory ban while chairing a health forum at the Asian Institute of Medical, Science and Technology in Kedah.

Those caught smoking at prohibited areas will be fined RM10,000 (S$3,300) and eateries found not enforcing the ban will be fined RM2,500.

The Star newspaper reported in September that the health ministry was pushing to gazette all open-air restaurants as no-smoking areas, according to Dr Lee.

The gazettement was not only to encourage smokers to kick the habit, but also to protect non-smokers from second-hand smoke due to tobacco products.

"No doubt smokers will say they have the right to smoke, but non-smokers also have the right to have smoke-free areas," Dr Lee had said.

The Gopeng MP is also seeking his fellow MPs' support to shut down the smoking room in Parliament by October.

He hopes the MPs who smoke will take the opportunity to quit smoking.

"This gazettement is Malaysia's commitment as a member state to the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control and adheres to the guidelines under Article 8 of the World Health Organisation," he added.

The current Control of Tobacco Product (Amendment) Regulations 2017 prohibits smoking in 21 areas including hospitals, public toilets, lifts, government premises as well as air-conditioned shops and offices.

Team Mahathir seems to be making inroads .....let’s see what happens when some yayapapaya Royalty smokes or drinks liquor
  • Praise 4

here the stupid ban at kopi thiam is really half past 6.

Confined within the yellow compound as if smoke does not travel , Rubbish to the max.

Ban once and for all and to smoke at least 10m away from the dining area like the bus stop.

Too harsh? Maybe try giving up smoking for everyone's health.

• Praise 3

Last time at a Chinese airport .. Right in the middle of the indoor and air-conditioned waiting area for boarding, draw one box for å¸è¸å and people smoked inside .. I really chio ka peng ...

Ownself draw yellow box? :grin:

Box draw swee swee one .. got proper signs, ash trays and all. But really chio ka peng .. LPPL.

Tiagong my no marnie pay cn

Maybe need to raise money

when I was in USA, their smoking zone makes more common sense and not some half past six effort like in Singapore/China :

5-Best-US-Airport-Smoking-Lounge-For-Smo

At least all the smokers can share each other's second-hand smoke....if feeling poor, can just go into these enclosed areas for free smokes.... :D

Last time at a Chinese airport .. Right in the middle of the indoor and air-conditioned waiting area for boarding, draw one box for 吸菸區 and people smoked inside .. I really chio ka peng ...

• Praise 1

Team Mahathir seems to be making inroads .....letâs see what happens when some yayapapaya Royalty smokes or drinks liquor

I see it as pocket $$$ for enforcer.

$10k is no joke.

Sure have back lane warning to settle the offence.

• Praise 1

Confined within the yellow compound as if smoke does not travel , Rubbish to the max.

Ban once and for all and to smoke at least 10m away from the dining area like the bus stop.

I have seen a few coffee shop, I think is Broadway, put up those transparent partition wall around the smokers corner. It does help. Edited by Ender
  • Praise 1

Hey, most of our leaders are scholars. Surely their brains work better than you and I! :XD:

I fully agree with you, but they don't understand what nonsense means! [thumbsdown]

Simply put, there is No Political Will!

Edited by Fitvip
  • Praise 2