Pump Petrol In JB - Worth it

Charmaine12

Can anyone help me to calculate if it is worth to pump in Jb. Some ppl say worth, some say not worth. 

Staying at Pasir ris - about 26km into JB via woodlands. 

Usually I can pump 35Litre, go in at half tank and pump to brim. 

The cost of pumping in JB: 

- 35 x 2.76Rm = 97RM

- Msia Toll - 20rm + 3Rm 

- SG Toll - SGD 1 

Total convert to SGD is about $42 for 35 litres of Ron 97. 

In Singapore, SPC Ron 95 $2.29 x 35 litres = $80 - 15% = $68. 

So still have a saving of $26. Am I correct?

Thank you and other forummers here who suggested ways to beat the 3/4 tank rule. 

We have screen captured all the posts and forwarded them to ICA and LTA for further processing. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Dislike 3

My takeaway from this anecdote is that he didn't get stopped or penalised  [laugh]

Seems like a good idea if I go into jb regularly or have a kaki who does so.

I’ve seen a joker on my last week jb trip pumping a jerry can in JB shell and drove in to SG because I was tailing him from behind queuing back to SG. Best part was that the joker was driving an E class merc, really mind blowing.

Twincharged

Thank you and other forummers here who suggested ways to beat the 3/4 tank rule. 

We have screen captured all the posts and forwarded them to ICA and LTA for further processing. 

hmm  i wonder what will ICA and LTA do with such an information?  [hur] . submit many many many more please. Flood their email boxes is the best to alert them, that it is none of their business.... hahhahahahahahaha [laugh]

Edited by Mkl22

Is it illegal to dabao petrol in SG using a fuel can (paid for accordingly of course)?

Then is it illegal to dabao petrol from across the causeway? At least can enjoy savings for one more top-up if you don't go into JB weekly.

You can buy fuel in a can in SG but need to show NRIC I think. That's how all the rich fellows fill up their lawn mower.

I don't have a lawn mower but I've run out of fuel in the middle of the road before  [laugh]

My takeaway from this anecdote is that he didn't get stopped or penalised  [laugh]

Seems like a good idea if I go into jb regularly or have a kaki who does so.

Isn't it dangerous to store the petrol at home even if didn't get caught when entering SG at the checkpoints?

In terms of fire risk and the fumes? 

Anyway how much can you store in these cans? 10l per trip at most? Might as well ride a motorbike in and transfer some of the fuel to the car. 

• Praise 1

See the way some people shake and bounce their cars when pump in jb, dabao 10L also shiok for sure

Anyway how much can you store in these cans? 10l per trip at most? Might as well ride a motorbike in and transfer some of the fuel to the car. 

In Singapore??  :o

I don't have a lawn mower but I've run out of fuel in the middle of the road before  [laugh]

the saving on jb patrol vs car wear & tear & my time is not significant enough to motivate my drive for jb patrol, 

although I stay around springleaf area and the traveling distance to jb is not too far.

if wanna drive, don't border about these small saving, just enjoy your ride as life is short.

• Praise 2

3-4 years ago i went in every weekend for no other reason than to pump petrol. And to maximise my trip i timed it such that it's barely before the top up fuel tank light turns on. Every week for 2 years, never got stopped :)

well done ...  [thumbsup]

In Singapore??  :o

Ride a SG bike to MY. I think the toll fees are lower and maybe no 3/4 rule?

All that effort just for the additional 10l of petrol, I have better things to do. 

• Praise 1

the saving on jb patrol vs car wear & tear & my time is not significant enough to motivate my drive for jb patrol,

although I stay around springleaf area and the traveling distance to jb is not too far.

if wanna drive, don't border about these small saving, just enjoy your ride as life is short.

Only crazy people go in just to pump petrol only.

The norm to go jb you have to do grocery shopping, movie, massage and go eat seafood then it’s worth it.

• Praise 3

Ride a SG bike to MY. I think the toll fees are lower and maybe no 3/4 rule?

All that effort just for the additional 10l of petrol, I have better things to do. 

There are no toll fees and 3/4 rules for bikes.

can go in almost empty to top up.

• Praise 2

Only crazy people go in just to pump petrol only.

The norm to go jb you have to do grocery shopping, movie, massage and go eat seafood then it’s worth it.

Instant savings if u go JB massage small head.

• Praise 3

I really do hope the authorities step up on the 3/4 tank rule and make it stick. The congestion is just getting out of hand and it is a hassle for people who really need to use the checkpoints not for fuel runs , groceries shopping and massages. 

I apologize to all the PHV bros but some of you could have selected better timings to fuel up and why not a diesel so that you could go in less often?

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 6

I really do hope the authorities step up on the 3/4 tank rule and make it stick. The congestion is just getting out of hand and it is a hassle for people who really need to use the checkpoints not for fuel runs , groceries shopping and massages.

I apologize to all the PHV bros but some of you could have selected better timings to fuel up and why not a diesel so that you could go in less often?

What does really need to use the check points mean?

Groceries and massage not considered a real need?

Apparently its not his/her needs la.. Cos he/she can only think of his/her personal needs and not bothered abt others who have other needs. People making an honest living wanna save some money because it means a lot to them but still, this didnt cross his/her mind cos he/she couldnt be bothered. Edited by Buadongdong
  • Praise 3

Long time no drive in because totally confuse with changes in VEP + tolls + car registration. Any JB regulars can provide an update and is it worth just for petrol top up only?

There are people (not only Malaysians) who live in My and work in Sg and they need to commute daily to maintain their job/studies. I am not one of them but I do feel their pain. 

Groceries and massage is your own selfish needs. 

Thanks for the dislike. 

• Praise 1

Long time no drive in because totally confuse with changes in VEP + tolls + car registration. Any JB regulars can provide an update and is it worth just for petrol top up only?

The amount of savings one can derived from refuelling in JB depends on several factors:

(1) The capacity of your fuel tank;

(2) The amount of fuel you top up when in JB.

Some bros may choose to head into JB when tank is half empty while some bros may take the risk to go JB when fuel tank is almost dry. In terms of price as well as toll charges, the more you refuel in JB would equate to more savings you made on your every trip into JB.

There was a time when I was driving Toyota Axio, I chose mot to do top up in JB as my weekly fuel cost is only about S$50. When I switched to a bigger car, I am heading into JB more often for both refuelling and shopping reasons as it now makes more economical sense to do so. I reckon that my net savings per trip to JB just on refuelling alone amounts to S$70 and convert that to RM and that would covers my meals and some grocery shopping needs.  

Everyone heads to JB for their own reasons and in that aspect, we could classify all of these as selfish reasons.

There is no right or wrong in each of their decisions. If you deem that the delay due to traffic congestions at the checkpoints is worth more than the potential savings and/or convenience one can derived from a trip to JB, then stay away. Otherwise, there is no stopping one from heading into JB, selfish or not.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4