2019 All new Mazda 3

csy_sky

Test drove both the Mazda 3 and Civic 1.6 today. Below is my comparison between both the cars.

Driver seat

Mazda gives a slightly better feel compared to Civic. In terms of width, it feels a little bit tight in the M3 (might be due to the way I sit). One thing that slightly annoyed me on the Civic is the steering wheel blocking part of the dashboard (I like to keep my steering wheel low).

Rear seat

Civic's wins in terms of space by a very significant amount. In terms of comfort, feedback from missus is that Civic's seat feels better and Mazda's was a bit too hard.

Overall interior quality

Mazda wins hands down on this. In terms of "plushness", the difference is still significant between the M3 and M6 (thickness of the cushioning is pretty thin on the M3). Civic interior is like your typical B&B car with tons of plastic.

Driving and Handling

The feel and handling of both car is very different so it's a matter of preference here.

Mazda definitely feels much heavier when moving off (a bit like driving my father's old MPV) but it's still pretty much alright in terms of power and for overtaking in Singapore. There's always the option of flooring the accelerator and setting it to sports mode if I wanted to. Brake-wise, you need to be a bit more heavy-footed to make the car come to a stop. Turning-wise, it's pretty interesting as I don't feel the typical body-sway. Because of the design of the car, there are also more blind spots to take note of.

Civic is pretty responsive in terms of moving off and the drive-off is quite easy. It's my first time driving a CVT gearbox and I can still somewhat feel the gearshift. Brake-wise, it's a bit more sensitive so there's a tendency to jam-brake (i'm heavy footed when it comes to braking)

Pricing

Both M3 and Civic (2019 FL) have OMV >20k so max loan of 60% applies to both. Needless to say, Civic is priced slightly more attractively. The only open question is whether the CVT can last till 10 years (if someone has the answer, do let me know) and how much it will cost to fix it after the warranty ends.

https://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2712283-2019-all-new-mazda-3/page-6

On page 6. There r few members complaining abt the material n quality used on mazda interior

Not sure is it the overseas unit quality is diff or they r a bunch of loyalists who just love to talk cock

↡ Advertisement
  • Dislike 2

https://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2712283-2019-all-new-mazda-3/page-6

On page 6. There r few members complaining abt the material n quality used on mazda interior

Not sure is it the overseas unit quality is diff or they r a bunch of loyalists who just love to talk cock

Page 6 was just filled with chatters. The new mz3 wasnt even available worldwide then. Maybe they are comparing to bmw 5 series or audi a6
  • Praise 2

Nope. Don't really like the interior (design and quality) so didn't put it on my list.

Just came to my mind that I drove a 2018 Corolla in Perth 2 months ago. I supposed it's the same model? Handling-wise, I feel it's similar with the Civic

not it's not. firstly, the hatch version is japan built whereas the sedan version is thai built (which is the similar SEA mdoels). secondly, the powertrain is different. the hatch follows the US models with an addition of a hybrid system on higher spec models. whereas the sedan is a 1.8L engine.

the only thing that's same is the look of the sedan which is built in thailand..

• Praise 1

Supercharged

In this segment of sedans.

1. Jetta. Too bad not avail in sg. They dun make righr hand drive for jetta anymore.

2. Altis

3. Mazda 3

4. Cerato/k3/forte

5. Avante/elantra

6. Fluence. Think also no more in sg

7. Civic

8. Cruze. Also no more.

9. Toledo.

10. Skoda eq?

11. Suzuki eq?

U see all these cars for sg marker wont be heavier road tax. Nor wont they have the acceleration of 1 to 9s thingy.

The road tax structure basically kills the 1.8 n 2cc for this range.

Malaysia u see altis base is 1.8 to 2000cc.

Same for elantra. Mazda 3. Etc.

So dun comprain about the acceleration of these rides avail for sg market

• Praise 1

In this segment of sedans.

1. Jetta. Too bad not avail in sg. They dun make righr hand drive for jetta anymore.

2. Altis

3. Mazda 3

4. Cerato/k3/forte

5. Avante/elantra

6. Fluence. Think also no more in sg

7. Civic

8. Cruze. Also no more.

9. Toledo.

10. Skoda eq?

11. Suzuki eq?

U see all these cars for sg marker wont be heavier road tax. Nor wont they have the acceleration of 1 to 9s thingy.

The road tax structure basically kills the 1.8 n 2cc for this range.

Malaysia u see altis base is 1.8 to 2000cc.

Same for elantra. Mazda 3. Etc.

So dun comprain about the acceleration of these rides avail for sg market

I would say that these cars acceleration are good enough for spore roads. Spore is not like usa, with expansive uninterrupted highways.
  • Praise 2

I would say that these cars acceleration are good enough for spore roads. Spore is not like usa, with expansive uninterrupted highways.

Totally agree. Even in Australia where the roads are long and hilly, higher CC cars are better.

I remember renting a 1.4l Hyundai Getz going road trip at Tazmania up a small mountain. I was surprised that the engine didn't kaput on my way up. It was the most excruciating drive as I couldn't even outrun a trailer carrying logs on the highway.

• Praise 2

Supercharged

Totally agree. Even in Australia where the roads are long and hilly, higher CC cars are better.

I remember renting a 1.4l Hyundai Getz going road trip at Tazmania up a small mountain. I was surprised that the engine didn't kaput on my way up. It was the most excruciating drive as I couldn't even outrun a trailer carrying logs on the highway.

Ouch. My getz 1.1 back then cant climb bemjamin shears bridge well lor. Lol.

Those were the days.

• Praise 2

Supersonic

Ouch. My getz 1.1 back then cant climb bemjamin shears bridge well lor. Lol.

Those were the days.

Your Getz 1.1 so underpower or too many passengers inside car liao?  [:p]  Thought manual car should have power?

• Praise 1

Went to see this car over the weekend.

As many bros said, the interior is really good. The exterior to me looks like a minor facelift over the previous version. The un-informed aunty / uncle on the road probably can't tell the difference.

At this price point, I will go for the Astra 1.4T, looks chic and drives well too!

• Praise 3

Supercharged

Your Getz 1.1 so underpower or too many passengers inside car liao? [:p] Thought manual car should have power?

Trust me. Boh power when uphill. Hehe..

No passenger also struggle.

But it was a fun car then.

Now old man liao cannot take it on manual liao

Supersonic

Trust me. Boh power when uphill. Hehe..

No passenger also struggle.

But it was a fun car then.

Now old man liao cannot take it on manual liao

Maybe that car too heavy liao? Now even you can take it on manual also hard to find manual car la.

Do they have test drive cars at leng kee for the new mazda 3? I passed by there yesterday, no see any new mazda 3 test drive on the road le?

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Maybe that car too heavy liao? Now even you can take it on manual also hard to find manual car la.

Do they have test drive cars at leng kee for the new mazda 3? I passed by there yesterday, no see any new mazda 3 test drive on the road le?

I din test drive. But there were test cars leh. I saw a hatchback one being tested

if you want an actual comparison, my 2.5l 2015 mazda 3 does 0-100 in 6.3s compared to whatever you guys mention before for the 1.5. (i think it's 11 or 12s?)

a lot of the b&b cars are actually produced in the 1.8l to 2.5l range. but whenever it comes to singapore, it's always brought down by 1 level. eg. mz3 1.5l and 2.0l, unfortunately because of the road tax and COE.

so whatever b&b car you drive in singapore, it's not a true representation of it's true performance stats...

• Praise 4

Page 6 was just filled with chatters. The new mz3 wasnt even available worldwide then. Maybe they are comparing to bmw 5 series or audi a6

During that time mazda bring in the left hand drive during the car show.

Im pretty used to how those loyalists lied blindly

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Definitely love the look of the hatch mz3.. beats all other Jap competitors and even some of the European counterparts..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1