2019 All new Mazda 3

csy_sky

Thanks for the review.

Initially also afraid whether the 1.5l would be underpowered, and asked the SE several times whether they would be bringing in the 2.0l engine or X-engine

What colour did you get by the way?

Moving off the line doesn't feel sluggish at all when i test drove. the small electric motor probably helped abit. At highway speeds that is another consideration

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

(edited)

i still believe no replacement for displacement.

for our regular sedan/hatch, minimum is 1.4 turbo. my personal gut and butt feel. [:)]

No replacement for displacement until it comes time to pay road tax ;). Then no replacement for the dollars in your wallet.

In all seriousness, I used to believe similar, until I drove several US cars vs Conti cars. US have crazy displacements (3.0 to 6.0L), yet the engines are tired and old. It's like the US manufacturers got lazy developing their engine technologies. So to keep up with the crowd they just increased displacement.

I think the reality of today is that compromise is important. The days of large displacement are gone. Emissions standards are the new norm and forced induction engines help achieve those emissions. Whether they achieve them legitimately is a different story. But it's clear that every manufacturer is starting to consider turbo engines now (along with electric and diesel engines).

I think the view of natural aspirating engines being better driver engines is fair. But it just doesn't fit in the era we are in right now. I mean BMW M once went on record in saying they would never do a forced induction engine. Look where they are now...

Edited by GTO-1
  • Praise 2

Anyhoo, Not in the intention to upset any folks here but just thought I'd give an honest review of the MZ3 Hatchback - I got the astina

Straight to the point

- Lack of space for Rear seats/boots - If this is a concern for you, then yeah just don't get the Mazda 3! I agree it is smaller/tight compared to it's competitors. I don't have a habit of ferrying people other than my BOR so .. no complains.

- Underpowered - Don't feel it frankly. Maybe I'm not as hungry as some of the bigger bosses who's used to driving bigger cars. I used to drive a 2L e88 but.. I don't feel the sluggishness etc from traffic light - Personally, I genuinely don't see a need/to race people off traffic etc esp in Singapore's traffic conditions. Overtaking? step a bit more, you should be able to overtake easily. But hey, that's imo... and with 18 inch rims. Not sure if that's good but at least it makes the ride look good

- Overpriced - I really think this is where it is subjective - Unless you have test driven the car, I think overpriced is just probably a passing statement - I am very pleased with how smooth the drive is thus far. the gadgets/seats/bose speakers.. and i must emphasize, there is little no 'cheap plastic feel' - Leather feels good. Nice screen, great knobs in the middle to navigate. The Android Auto/ Apple carplay is just like any other out there - It's bloody convenient when you need waze or play music from spotify/music player. Great stuff.

- Design - Love it. Some people hate it but I think done a bloody brilliant job @ blacking out grills fenders (front/rear) Even the headlights look massively tinted. Love it, some hate it but hey then go shop somewhere else i guess!

- summary : No one asked for it but - old engine + hybrid battery + new facelift + amazing interior - I don't mind paying that premium. But if you're constantly comparing it with other makes then you really have to dig deeper to what MZ has to offer that other makes don't. Vice versa.

Not paid, just genuinely.. happy i guess.

I haven't driven the new Mazda3 yet, but if it was anything like the old Mazda3, I got super frustrated at the lack of any go forward.

Sometimes I legitimately needed to get in front of another car at the traffic lights to get in the correct lane. Why? We all know what SG drivers are like - if you indicate to go into their lane, they will speed up to stop you going in. Kiasuness.

Going from a Mazda2 to as Mazda3 as a loaner, it just wasn't possible to do that, whereas the Mazda2 with the same (down tuned) engine was zippy. It just felt lethargic and it frustrated me. So there is nothing wrong with the engine, it's just the decisions they made to meet cost expectations.

I have no idea if the new Mazda3 is the same, but the old one was a good car let down by poorly suited engine. To be fair, it's only poorly suited in SG. Elsewhere the engine and car was pretty good (especially AU that recieved the 2.5L).

• Praise 1

(edited)

Anyhoo, Not in the intention to upset any folks here but just thought I'd give an honest review of the MZ3 Hatchback - I got the astina

Straight to the point

- Lack of space for Rear seats/boots - If this is a concern for you, then yeah just don't get the Mazda 3! I agree it is smaller/tight compared to it's competitors. I don't have a habit of ferrying people other than my BOR so .. no complains.

- Underpowered - Don't feel it frankly. Maybe I'm not as hungry as some of the bigger bosses who's used to driving bigger cars. I used to drive a 2L e88 but.. I don't feel the sluggishness etc from traffic light - Personally, I genuinely don't see a need/to race people off traffic etc esp in Singapore's traffic conditions. Overtaking? step a bit more, you should be able to overtake easily. But hey, that's imo... and with 18 inch rims. Not sure if that's good but at least it makes the ride look good

- Overpriced - I really think this is where it is subjective - Unless you have test driven the car, I think overpriced is just probably a passing statement - I am very pleased with how smooth the drive is thus far. the gadgets/seats/bose speakers.. and i must emphasize, there is little no 'cheap plastic feel' - Leather feels good. Nice screen, great knobs in the middle to navigate. The Android Auto/ Apple carplay is just like any other out there - It's bloody convenient when you need waze or play music from spotify/music player. Great stuff.

- Design - Love it. Some people hate it but I think done a bloody brilliant job @ blacking out grills fenders (front/rear) Even the headlights look massively tinted. Love it, some hate it but hey then go shop somewhere else i guess!

- summary : No one asked for it but - old engine + hybrid battery + new facelift + amazing interior - I don't mind paying that premium. But if you're constantly comparing it with other makes then you really have to dig deeper to what MZ has to offer that other makes don't. Vice versa.

Not paid, just genuinely.. happy i guess.

enjoy your ride bro Edited by Contipro
  • Praise 1

wow is mazda overpriced or audi underpriced? haha

Mazda 3 price is now a little on the high side. But it's expected as it's a new model. Give it a year or 2, I'm sure the price will come down significantly barring any changes in Coe.

Badge aside, the interiors are equally cheap. Made in Japan plastic vs made in hungary plastic. Length wise, a3 is just 0.1m longer. Whatever premium you paid for audi is just for the badge.

If you want a proper audi compact sedan, go for a4 period. A3 is just for those who cant afford a4 but just want the badge to show.

24k profit for TEK, and $800 for SE :0 good margin sia

I would prefer the interior of the Mazda 2 deluxe though.

Though I had never drove the A3 before, but the driving feel and insulation of Mazda 2 is miles apart from Mazda 3. I find it hard to believe that the Audi a3's drive and feel is like a Mazda 2.

• Praise 1

Nope that's an inaccurate observation to the current motoring scene worldwide... and pls... no one cares about what SG gov and our public thinks or believe.

Forced induction engines are NOT new engine tech. Seems like some forummers here think turbochargers are a recent invention. It first appeared in the mid 1920s and it was deployed in high end cars of that era but more impt they were used in aircraft as forced induction made more power to the engines and it prevented the engines from loosing power due to thin air at high altitude.

There are still plenty of manufacturers today that offers great engines WITHOUT resorting to force induction. Mostly from the Big 3, Japs and Korean. NA engines is still th best if you are looking for utmost durability, smooth and progressive power and even fuel economy.

Turbo engines typically pollutes more vs a well designed NA engine of the same size.

Turbo engines are not magic bullets, and you cannot defy the laws of physics and expect a say 1L turbo engine from offering the same kind of fuel economy and linear power op as NA 1L of the same size. When u force the engine to produce > twice the power it can produce in NA, you need twice the amount of fuel to achieve that also. The heat and stress generated by the turbo is tremendous as well.

Engine designers and engineers now realize that they cannot downsize their engines too much without hurting drivability and fuel economy. The current rule of thumb is a reduction of CC of no more than 20% of irs original capacity.

NA engines is still the prefered design and they can be made to make big power too... Just increase the capacity will do. You have never driven a 5 - 6L NA V8 before I guess.

And the difference driving these tiny turbo engined cars on NSHW vs driving one with a big >2.5L NA engine on the same highways is starkly obvious.

ok.. so you view of Stinger turbo would be?

Thanks for the review.

Initially also afraid whether the 1.5l would be underpowered, and asked the SE several times whether they would be bringing in the 2.0l engine or X-engine

White!

(edited)

Thanks for the review.

Actually, best to take the car for a spin on the highways. Alot also depends on your driving style.

For me, personally, I won't go for it with a 1.5L engine as I feel a lack of grunt from 80-100 when trying to overtake someone in the middle lane. Id be very happy with the 2L version. But....they're not bringing it in.

But again, that's me. It's best you do a test drive using your usual driving style.

Moving off the line doesn't feel sluggish at all when i test drove. the small electric motor probably helped abit. At highway speeds that is another consideration

Agree, highway driving is the acid test. Edited by Rickster

:a-happy:  :a-m1212:  [drivingcar]  [wave]

I would prefer the interior of the Mazda 2 deluxe though.

Though I had never drove the A3 before, but the driving feel and insulation of Mazda 2 is miles apart from Mazda 3. I find it hard to believe that the Audi a3's drive and feel is like a Mazda 2.

(edited)

I haven't driven the new Mazda3 yet, but if it was anything like the old Mazda3, I got super frustrated at the lack of any go forward.

Sometimes I legitimately needed to get in front of another car at the traffic lights to get in the correct lane. Why? We all know what SG drivers are like - if you indicate to go into their lane, they will speed up to stop you going in. Kiasuness.

Going from a Mazda2 to as Mazda3 as a loaner, it just wasn't possible to do that, whereas the Mazda2 with the same (down tuned) engine was zippy. It just felt lethargic and it frustrated me. So there is nothing wrong with the engine, it's just the decisions they made to meet cost expectations.

I have no idea if the new Mazda3 is the same, but the old one was a good car let down by poorly suited engine. To be fair, it's only poorly suited in SG. Elsewhere the engine and car was pretty good (especially AU that recieved the 2.5L).

I feel the same with the previous generation Mazda 3. My dad drives one and I recently drove it up NSH and it's really shows that a 2L engine would compliment this car much better.

If 0-100 timing of a car is any useful indication, the previous gen Mazda 3 is 11+...that's better than the current Mazda 3 timing of 12+.

Edited by Rickster
  • Praise 1

Actually, best to take the car for a spin on the highways. Alot also depends on your driving style.

For me, personally, I won't go for it with a 1.5L engine as I feel a lack of grunt from 80-100 when trying to overtake someone in the middle lane. Id be very happy with the 2L version. But....they're not bringing it in.

But again, that's me. It's best you do a test drive using your usual driving style.

Agree, highway driving is the acid test.

greatly agreed your point.

so sometime when I see those review said how bloody smooth the ride when cruising NSHW at 120-130km/hr with 1.5 to 1.6 NA, 听就好。。

I bet if NA min 1.8L would be less stressful..

but high tax and COE in sg lack alot of choices for 1.8L NA.

sadly...

i still believe no replacement for displacement.

for our regular sedan/hatch, minimum is 1.4 turbo. my personal gut and butt feel.  [:)]

so true. nothing better than a 6L v8...

6.2L LS3 V8 with a straight pipe and 3in exit. the glorious sound when you hit 7000rpm....  [inlove]  [inlove]

Well if u put 2 cars on a drag race, the 999cc will win hands down. When it comes to overtaking, the 999c will win hands down too. If you talking about fc, the 999cc will win again by a big margin. Road tax? Lower as well. What’s wrong with it?

It’s about technology. It has turbo. Cc is not all it matters. It is able to win the Mz3 with so little cc, so you should marvel at the tech instead.

congrats. you can read the brochure.. 

power figure is not everything. the numbers are there as a gauge. how you put the power down, suspension, tyres and alignment etc, can all play an important role. not to mention the fact that most factory turbos have turbo lag whereas an NA engine has a more useable powerband throughout it's rpm range. 

that's the only reason why my mazda 3 at can outrun a GTI, fiesta ST and the likes all day long..

congrats. you can read the brochure..

power figure is not everything. the numbers are there as a gauge. how you put the power down, suspension, tyres and alignment etc, can all play an important role. not to mention the fact that most factory turbos have turbo lag whereas an NA engine has a more useable powerband throughout it's rpm range.

that's the only reason why my mazda 3 at can outrun a GTI, fiesta ST and the likes all day long..

Bro, yours is the MPS version?

Another important thing that greatly affects the overall performance of the car is the gearbox.

↡ Advertisement