2019 All new Mazda 3

csy_sky

(edited)

Amazing engineering marvel from Mazda, the car so long but still managed to make the rear seats so cramp... really is li hai

it’s not easy to screw up and continue to screw up

even the coming bmw 1-series the rear seat is going to be bigger ... with 30mm extra legroom compare with previous model

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement

Amazing engineering marvel from Mazda, the car so long but still managed to make the rear seats so cramp... really is li hai

That is one thing I realised about Mazda 3s and 6s. Wheelbase is comparable or even exceed (for the 3 case) its rival but interior space just doesn't correlate. Cars like the City, Sylphy all can have amazing amount of legroom. Just doesn't know where those space in Mazda gone to.
  • Praise 1

That is one thing I realised about Mazda 3s and 6s. Wheelbase is comparable or even exceed (for the 3 case) its rival but interior space just doesn't correlate. Cars like the City, Sylphy all can have amazing amount of legroom. Just doesn't know where those space in Mazda gone to.

4dGd82g.png

4lFY5ge.png

TpsKLUw.png

Can see the differences among the 3 models you mentioned? Can't tell the diff? OK, here is the answer.

eSId9VC.png

Wheelbase measurement started from middle of the front to middle of the rear wheel, and covers part of the engine compartment, cabin space, as well as boot space.

For Mazda 3, not difficult for all to see that there are lot of space (relative to City & Sylphy) between the front wheel and the front door, meaning some cabin space are wasted. The "cost" of having a longer bonnet.

Next, rear seat of Mazda 3 are position before the rear wheel, while the seat for the other 2 are position almost at the centre of the rear wheel, and again, that affect the cabin space. The "cost' of having a larger wheel.

Last but not least, the seat design also play a part in determining the cabin space. Thicker and less curvy front seat and the extended rear seat make the cabin space tighter, as compared to the other 2 model. A very good example of looking good vs practicality.

• Praise 9

4dGd82g.png

4lFY5ge.png

TpsKLUw.png

Can see the differences among the 3 models you mentioned? Can't tell the diff? OK, here is the answer.

eSId9VC.png

Wheelbase measurement started from middle of the front to middle of the rear wheel, and covers part of the engine compartment, cabin space, as well as boot space.

For Mazda 3, not difficult for all to see that there are lot of space (relative to City & Sylphy) between the front wheel and the front door, meaning some cabin space are wasted. The "cost" of having a longer bonnet.

Next, rear seat of Mazda 3 are position before the rear wheel, while the seat for the other 2 are position almost at the centre of the rear wheel, and again, that affect the cabin space. The "cost' of having a larger wheel.

Last but not least, the seat design also play a part in determining the cabin space. Thicker and less curvy front seat and the extended rear seat make the cabin space tighter, as compared to the other 2 model. A very good example of looking good vs practicality.

Nice comparison pics. For Mazda 3, the engine might be mounted further back, for better weight distribution and driving dynamics.

At the rear, if the seats are close to the center of the wheel, it might be less comfortable, more vibration felt by the passengers.

• Praise 1

(edited)

pretty much sum it up

go try honda jazz/fit

the leg room could be better than many jap/korean small sedan car

A very good example of looking good vs practicality.

Edited by Wt_know

4dGd82g.png

4lFY5ge.png

TpsKLUw.png

eSId9VC.png

Yup, you are right on this analyse. Mazda probably focus on driving dynamics with slight compromised on the space efficiency.

so the long wheel base does not translate to bigger room..
  • Praise 2

Yup, you are right on this analyse. Mazda probably focus on driving dynamics with slight compromised on the space efficiency.

the Korean avante and cerato also have good drive dynamics right?

but does not affect much no interior room

If Mazda made the back of the 3 so spacious

who will buy the 6?

The less profitable 3 will just eat the sales of the more profitable 6.

Mazda smart.

:D

(edited)

the Korean avante and cerato also have good drive dynamics right?

but does not affect much no interior room

Don't think Avante or Cerato is to the point of Mazda 3 handling. Several foreign reviews do praise the new Mazda 3 on its handling and ride dynamics. Reviews however do comment about Elantra Sport handling which has independent rear suspension setup. Edited by Heartbreakid

Supersonic

If Mazda made the back of the 3 so spacious

who will buy the 6?

The less profitable 3 will just eat the sales of the more profitable 6.

Mazda smart.

No le, you see altis back also spacious but you dont see nobody buy camry lo. Lol.

Wow 30 years later the Astina grew a big butt.

Just like my MIL.

V4M.jpg

my19-mazda3-hatchback-premiumpackage-sou

That 90s Astina when I first sat in, impress me with the digital gauge, velvet like fabric covering top half of all door panels and the pop up headlights. Actually the insulation wasn't too bad either and the 1.6 litre engine sounds pleasant too.
  • Praise 1

That 90s Astina when I first sat in, impress me with the digital gauge, velvet like fabric covering top half of all door panels and the pop up headlights. Actually the insulation wasn't too bad either and the 1.6 litre engine sounds pleasant too.

I love the second gen Astina.  The slim headlights and the auto retractable radio antenna...:)

The interior with the top and bottom glove compartment also very unique at that time.

Thinking back, Mazda does make nice cars....

929 coupe was one of my fav as well...

• Praise 1

The shape still looks stylish today.

If they made this car today with newer mechanicals

I think people will buy it.

It might even compete with the Scirocco,