2019 All new Mazda 3

csy_sky

When the Mz3 is loaded with passengers then you will feel the power is quite bad.

Stick to the 2.0L and above ride.

Any existing owners want to share how is the Mazda 3 drive for a 1.5L car? In terms of acceleration/pickup/overtaking does the car do well? When we need to overtake on expressway, can the engine do the job comfortably?

I test drove at ubi and felt initial pickup from standstill and also the power while on the move is still not too bad. Wasn't as bad as I thought. Not sure if on expressway the car can overtake easily not.

My family car (currently estima) and last few cars I used to drive are all 2L or 2.4L. So the torque always felt good when I need it for quick acceleration.

A bit undecided on Mazda 6 or Mazda 3 hatchback now.
Mazda 3 exterior and interior totally wow me with its design and features. Only thing is 1.5L (low hp and torque) and price that makes me think twice.

Mazda 6 looks good too and interior feel very luxurious and comfortable and has decent power/torque. Pricing also looks attractive with the promo now. But the size is very big since this will be my family 2nd car and I'm usually the only driver and occasional passengers (mum/sis or friends).

Happy to hear from fellow drivers on their thoughts regarding the new Mazda 3.

↡ Advertisement

Any existing owners want to share how is the Mazda 3 drive for a 1.5L car? In terms of acceleration/pickup/overtaking does the car do well? When we need to overtake on expressway, can the engine do the job comfortably?

I test drove at ubi and felt initial pickup from standstill and also the power while on the move is still not too bad. Wasn't as bad as I thought. Not sure if on expressway the car can overtake easily not.

My family car (currently estima) and last few cars I used to drive are all 2L or 2.4L. So the torque always felt good when I need it for quick acceleration.

Mazda 3 exterior and interior totally wow me with its design and features. Only thing is 1.5L (low hp and torque) and price that makes me think twice.

Mazda 6 looks good too and interior feel very luxurious and comfortable and has decent power/torque. Pricing also looks attractive with the promo now. But the size is very big since this will be my family 2nd car and I'm usually the only driver and occasional passengers (mum/sis or friends).

My advise is to go for Mazda 6 2L or other brands with turbo engine below 2L. Once you are used to power from larger engine, its difficult to get used to smaller engine. If you rev the engine harder to extract the peak power, you'll end up sacrificing fuel economy.

• Praise 2

i've read the many suggestions from the owners - likewise, I bought the 1.5 hatch - response in bold!

response : power is fine. it isn't sluggish for pick-up.

response : Don't expect a punch - if you're expecting to overtake i don't see why that can't be done. But clearly if it's a nother TC/Much bigger car... just stay in your lane. This 1.5L is probably meant for light overtaking and cruising.

Response : likewise, the interior was the deciding factor for me - I was absolutely blown away by the Interior, the finish is frankly second to none. But.. if you're comparing to the MZ6? - MZ6 Honestly is also very nice, but it's dated 2018 for its interior. it is still very, very nice. But hey, you'll definitely prefer the punch of the 2/2.5L of the Mazda 6 as compared to the 3. 

Response : most of my colleagues and friends ended up buying the 6 after seeing my 3, they went to showroom, and bought 6 instead. doesn't make sense to get a 3 if you have a family

Response : All in all, I love my 3. Nothing drives quite as comfortably with all the improvement of the NVH.. it's insane how quiet the ride can be. But essentially, if power is what you're looking for, the 3 is not something you'd like to own.

Cheers m8

• Praise 3

Thanks everyone for sharing their views. Solomongrundy thanks for sharing the breakdown too.

I guess it's pretty much wait and see how now. Not urgent to get a 2nd family car now and we'll see how prices move over the next few mths.

• Praise 1

Anyone with this mild hybrid mazda 3 had gotten blackvue dash cam installed with backup battery? I know hella branded dash cam is given FOC by TEK, but i have opted out of it in view of brand reliability.

Currently trying to install backvue DR900S-2CH with cellink neo, then realised the passenger fuse box is kinda different. anyone can share experience? 

Edited by aztreonam
  • Praise 1

Guess now the only 'mods' are aesthetic mods like stickers and stuffs from Taobao. Doubt the real mod stuffs are available for the ride yet. 

it'll be nice to see if anyone has started on mods. i know it's fairly new so i'm not expecting much but rims, suspension etc...

• Praise 1

Guess now the only 'mods' are aesthetic mods like stickers and stuffs from Taobao. Doubt the real mod stuffs are available for the ride yet. 

hahaha of course. but surely the first thing you do when you have a new car is to get new rims and get rid of the shitty stock tyres. in saying that, are they still using dunlops sp maxx for 18in??

Haha yeah. New wheels must be forged wheels and not some Taiwanese wheels.

Not sure about the tyres fitted by TEK.

hahaha of course. but surely the first thing you do when you have a new car is to get new rims and get rid of the shitty stock tyres. in saying that, are they still using dunlops sp maxx for 18in??

Was at the Star Vista Mazda road show yesterday and checked out the new 3. 

Immense showroom appeal- superior cabin compared to all it's Japanese/ Korean peers. Also it's loaded with all the safety gizmos we are usually deprived of because of our unfriendly car taxation structure (I hope other ADs will realise that some people are willing to pay for the extra gear and bring in better equipped cars). 

It's pretty. I prefer the balance of the sedan to the back heavy look of the hatch. 

The car is refined on the move. I found pulling power to be adequate at best. It felt a bit draggy with 4 pax in the car. At least it felt smooth and was relatively muted by good sound insulation. Cruising at legal speeds is very comfortable.

This car deserves a better power plant. Unfortunately two SEs told me the TEK is not bringing in the ActiveX (told them no plans to as it will cannibalise the Mz 6 sales). This is contrary to what I've read in the press. Not sure who is correct. I think petrolheads really want to get the ActiveX model.

I'm going to check out some small turbos next. They won't be as posh or have all of the safety gear but they may be more fun to drive. We can't have it all at this price range I think.

• Praise 4

Twincharged
13 hours ago, Hotnyh said:

Immense showroom appeal- superior cabin compared to all it's Japanese/ Korean peers. Also it's loaded with all the safety gizmos we are usually deprived of because of our unfriendly car taxation structure (I hope other ADs will realise that some people are willing to pay for the extra gear and bring in better equipped cars). 

It's pretty. I prefer the balance of the sedan to the back heavy look of the hatch. 

The car is refined on the move. I found pulling power to be adequate at best. It felt a bit draggy with 4 pax in the car. At least it felt smooth and was relatively muted by good sound insulation. Cruising at legal speeds is very comfortable.

This car deserves a better power plant. Unfortunately two SEs told me the TEK is not bringing in the ActiveX (told them no plans to as it will cannibalise the Mz 6 sales). This is contrary to what I've read in the press. Not sure who is correct. I think petrolheads really want to get the ActiveX model.

I'm going to check out some small turbos next. They won't be as posh or have all of the safety gear but they may be more fun to drive. We can't have it all at this price range I think.

Compared with 4 in your swift? Is the swift still more perky? 

13 hours ago, Hotnyh said:

I was there too. Out of fun, I sat at the rear seat. Very very tight. cant compare with the civic space but interior quality so much better classy.

10 hours ago, Davidtkl said:

I was there too. Out of fun, I sat at the rear seat. Very very tight. cant compare with the civic space but interior quality so much better classy.

If the new mazda 3 rear is spacious like altis and civic, this car can be consider perfect in terms of interior quality and features.

• Praise 1

11 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

Compared with 4 in your swift? Is the swift still more perky? 

Actually the Swift is my wife's car. I'm in a COE 2L Camry and I feel the the new 3 is about the same as the Camry in terms of acceleration. In terms of refinement... the 3's road noise is at least equal if not slightly better than my old Camry.  Of course it has lots and lots of gizmos absent in my old car and handles much more nicely. The only new tech in my Camry is a Pioneer head unit with Android Auto/ Apple Carplay. Compared to the Swift... I think the Swift pulls harder at town speeds- maybe it's perception as the torque comes on clearly when the turbo kicks in vs a more gradual rise in the NA Mz 3. Noisier for sure though.

The SEs told me no 2L Mz3 is planned at the moment, whether SkyActiveG or SkyActiveX. How true I don't know. 

Edited by Hotnyh

ljZ9Ziw.jpg

Been about a month - Still swooning over the design! 

Anyways there were some folks that founded a whatsapp group for MZ3 2019 owners, I'm just helping to gather like minded individuals. Pls ping!

Edited by Solomongrundy
  • Praise 10

12 hours ago, Hotnyh said:

Actually the Swift is my wife's car. I'm in a COE 2L Camry and I feel the the new 3 is about the same as the Camry in terms of acceleration. In terms of refinement... the 3's road noise is at least equal if not slightly better than my old Camry.  Of course it has lots and lots of gizmos absent in my old car and handles much more nicely. The only new tech in my Camry is a Pioneer head unit with Android Auto/ Apple Carplay. Compared to the Swift... I think the Swift pulls harder at town speeds- maybe it's perception as the torque comes on clearly when the turbo kicks in vs a more gradual rise in the NA Mz 3. Noisier for sure though.

The SEs told me no 2L Mz3 is planned at the moment, whether SkyActiveG or SkyActiveX. How true I don't know. 

Money can buy happiness , dont defer your happiness. 😄😄

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1