2019 All new Mazda 3

csy_sky

(edited)

Bro, yours is the MPS version?

Another important thing that greatly affects the overall performance of the car is the gearbox.

no it's not. the MPS is gen 1 and 2. mine is the previous gen 3 model with a 2.5l NA and a 6sp manual.. but with a tuned suspension and really sticky tires. a wavetrac LSD is coming soon too.. i'm down about 50bhp on the GTI but with the right launch from start or the right gear and RPM on the move, it's not a problem..

true that on the gearboxes, especially on automatics. 

Edited by louisbosco
↡ Advertisement
  • Dislike 1

no it's not. the MPS is gen 1 and 2. mine is the previous gen 3 model with a 2.5l NA and a 6sp manual.. but with a tuned suspension and really sticky tires. a wavetrac LSD is coming soon too.. i'm down about 50bhp on the GTI but with the right launch from start or the right gear and RPM on the move, it's not a problem..

true that on the gearboxes, especially on automatics.

That's a beast of a Mazda 3 you've got! Guess it's well over 200bhp!

That's a beast of a Mazda 3 you've got! Guess it's well over 200bhp!

actually just a little short of 200fwhp on a 98ron remap.. putting out about 190fwhp.. 

but my point was that figures don't really tell a whole story based on them comparing the small displacement turbos to naturally aspriated..

(edited)

actually just a little short of 200fwhp on a 98ron remap.. putting out about 190fwhp..

but my point was that figures don't really tell a whole story based on them comparing the small displacement turbos to naturally aspriated..

We are talking about the 1.5NA. How can you compare yours which is 2.5 against a 1 litre car? Pretty unfair? No?

Be more relevant in your arguments. 1 litre and 2.5 is too much of a gap already. Then you should be comparing against 2 litre turbos. And yours even have modifications done to it.

In case you are wondering which 1.5NA we r referring to, yes the one selling now. 118bhp that one. Not your version.

Edited by Midorima
  • Praise 1

(edited)

We are talking about the 1.5NA. How can you compare yours which is 2.5 against a 1 litre car? Pretty unfair? No?

my point wasn't about size. i'm not comparing my 2.5 to the 1L. i'm comparing mine to a GTI. which is  a 2.0T 4 pot..

my point was that the stated figures only tell 1 part of the story.. a lot of other factors can come into play. it doesn't mean that the 1L turbo will outrun the 1.5na. with good tyres, a lot can change in putting the power down. also, not to mention turbo lag vs power throughout the rev range for NA.

in all fairness, the mods are a standard remap for fuel mix and tyres which most people will change during the lifetime of their vehicle.. the only difference is how much you pay for tyres. which is quite realistic in a daily driven scenario..

Edited by louisbosco

my point wasn't about size. i'm not comparing my 2.5 to the 1L. i'm comparing mine to a GTI. which is a 2.0T 4 pot..

my point was that the stated figures only tell 1 part of the story.. a lot of other factors can come into play. it doesn't mean that the 1L turbo will outrun the 1.5na. with good tyres, a lot can change in putting the power down. also, not to mention turbo lag vs power throughout the rev range for NA.

in all fairness, the mods are a standard remap for fuel mix and tyres which most people will change during the lifetime of their vehicle.. the only difference is how much you pay for tyres..

Ok. My previous post was however quoting a post which says that the 1litre car had a more ridiculous price than the mazda3 now, which I beg to differ.

AND if you r going for stock vs stock, with a same skilled driver, the dsg with turbo will more likely be faster and more engaging to drive.

Ok. My previous post was however quoting a post which says that the 1litre car had a more ridiculous price than the mazda3 now, which I beg to differ.

AND if you r going for stock vs stock, with a same skilled driver, the dsg with turbo will more likely be faster and more engaging to drive.

ahh okay but what i was replying to was the drag race which i linked to power output etc. i can't really comment on price since i'm lucky enough to move away from sg and enjoy real prices on cars. i'll have to admit that if i think the 2.0 mazda 3 is slow, i cannot imagine what the 1.5 will feel like. unfortunately, the market here in aus doesn't have it but it is still a little overpriced even for a market here with no COE.

unfortunately, with a lot of european models, the omv or total figures you get are not a true representation of what the car cost since it's usually a base or popular model. once you start ticking the boxes on the options list, it tends to get really expensive. unlike most japanese manufacturers which have a maximum of maybe 3-5 grades with differing levels of kit rather than a never ending list of options.

i disagree with the dsg being more engaging though. i had a mk7.5 gti for a short period of time on holiday. it's a quick transmission yes, but definitely not more engaging than a 6sp manual. i'll admit that at a traffic light the LSD helps and it's quick off the line. but just trying to get going while you're cruising on a highway, gosh that thing is slow af for the turbo to kick in.. i had fun in it but i definitely wouldn't want one..

my point wasn't about size. i'm not comparing my 2.5 to the 1L. i'm comparing mine to a GTI. which is a 2.0T 4 pot..

in all fairness, the mods are a standard remap for fuel mix and tyres which most people will change during the lifetime of their vehicle.. the only difference is how much you pay for tyres. which is quite realistic in a daily driven scenario..

you mentioned 1.5 NA remap vs 1.0 turbo remap engine ,

or 1.5NA remap vs 1.0 turbo stock??

Updated spreadsheet to include details for Mazda 3 HB, as well as Audi A3 SB and sedan, since many kept mentioning it here. Do note that Mazda 3 enjoy a $10K VES rebate (and thus $5K lesser in PARF), whereas Audi A3 attract a $10K surcharge, which do not add value to PARF however.

QxdFuk5.png

BTW, the above have yet to take into consideration other income of AD, such as commission of loan, motor insurance, trade-in car, etc. I assume that shall be used to cover the other overhead, such as salary, showroom maintenance, etc.

For those hatchback lover, the Audi A3 Sport Back might be worth considering after all, if you are looking at VFM perspective. I know they belongs to different class, but dollars and cents wise, hard to debate any further on it.

I think I will receive pm from Mazda SE very soon. :ouch-it-hurts: I am not called "bane of SE" for nothing... :XD:

suggest to include mazda 6 as comparison as well, may be 6 is even VFM

greatly agreed your point.

so sometime when I see those review said how bloody smooth the ride when cruising NSHW at 120-130km/hr with 1.5 to 1.6 NA, 听就好。。

I bet if NA min 1.8L would be less stressful..

but high tax and COE in sg lack alot of choices for 1.8L NA.

sadly...

i still remember driving my dad's 1.8l civic 10 years ago.

it was gd fun compared to the other 1.6l car he used to own 

• Praise 1

ahh okay but what i was replying to was the drag race which i linked to power output etc. i can't really comment on price since i'm lucky enough to move away from sg and enjoy real prices on cars. i'll have to admit that if i think the 2.0 mazda 3 is slow, i cannot imagine what the 1.5 will feel like. unfortunately, the market here in aus doesn't have it but it is still a little overpriced even for a market here with no COE.

unfortunately, with a lot of european models, the omv or total figures you get are not a true representation of what the car cost since it's usually a base or popular model. once you start ticking the boxes on the options list, it tends to get really expensive. unlike most japanese manufacturers which have a maximum of maybe 3-5 grades with differing levels of kit rather than a never ending list of options.

i disagree with the dsg being more engaging though. i had a mk7.5 gti for a short period of time on holiday. it's a quick transmission yes, but definitely not more engaging than a 6sp manual. i'll admit that at a traffic light the LSD helps and it's quick off the line. but just trying to get going while you're cruising on a highway, gosh that thing is slow af for the turbo to kick in.. i had fun in it but i definitely wouldn't want one..

I guess you need to put in Sg context. Nobody really drives a manual here cos of traffic lights and jams.

And a high cc car in sg is expensive cos of road taxes. FC as well due to city driving

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Any reason why mazda 3 'downgrade' their engine size from 1.6L to 1.5L for a mid sedan? Unless mazda 3 is same range as vios and city, so having a 1.5L engine is justifiable?

Any reason why mazda 3 'downgrade' their engine size from 1.6L to 1.5L for a mid sedan? Unless mazda 3 is same range as vios and city, so having a 1.5L engine is justifiable?

may be for their local market which subject to regulations..

there are many small cc choices in japan.

like previous MIJ Lancer EX also of 1.5L only.

Supersonic

may be for their local market which subject to regulations..

there are many small cc choices in japan.

like previous MIJ Lancer EX also of 1.5L only.

The previous Lancer EX changed from 1.6L to 1.5L and later revert back to 1.6L. But mazda 3 seems still continue with the 1.5L engine.

The previous Lancer EX changed from 1.6L to 1.5L and later revert back to 1.6L. But mazda 3 seems still continue with the 1.5L engine.

likely they find EX too heavy for 1.5L..

(edited)

Mazda have this 1.5L as the base engine for their small cars.  They do not have any 1.6L.

And pls, how many countries on this planet uses engine CC as SMLJ Cat A or B? SG market certainly doesn't rep the world and it is silly to expect a manufacturer would design a totally new engine just to suit out nonsensical tax system. 

Honda did that to the 13yr old R16A 1.6L you see in the base Civic now. It is supposed to be 1.8L R18A in all countries where it is sold 

But that one still made sense for Honda can use that destroked block in other large markers eg Turkey where they also have similar nonsensical engine CC tax system as we do.

But the 1.5T L15B7 is always there to provide big power with even smaller engine... So the need to die die hit the 1.6L mark is totally irrelevant. 

Edited by Cheefarn
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2