Is this the all new 2020 VW Passat?

DACH

simple and elegant. Like.

unlike lexus that tries too hard to put on an alien looking grill.

Our taste really different. I think this grille looks pretty awful. It looks too American or too prc. One look can tell Its for these markets.

The back looks not bad though I think the current passat back looks quite understated.

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement

Wouldn't be able to comment on the quality since I don't have interest in Toyota. Did recently gone to test the VW Golf TSI for my wife.... The SE was trying to push me towards a passat....i will say the quality is decent for a conti, better than land rover and maybe even jaguar. 

Now, I was actually talking about design language in my previous post. The 2020 passant just look so...... unremarkable. 

At least they can count me out as potential customer.

I have seen the Camry in one of the PI roadshow before and it’s really not as good as what you think. The quality of interior fit and finish is really low grade. I do not think a VW or any conti would be as bad. It is also quite “low tech”. Lol.

• Praise 1

Please note that the current USA Passat (for whatever reason VW has) is actually a much uglier car than the Euro Passat that we get here.

USA Passat looks almost identical to our previous gen Passat (which pretty much almost can no longer find on SG roads)

So the above pictures may look interesting to USA VW fans, if there are any left there. But definitely not to folks here, who already get the good stuff years ago.

The new US Jetta finally ditched the DSG for a traditional 8 speed autobox. If the same one is used for the passat then we'll finally be looking at more reliability

I think the current Passat are quite reliable. So far, I have not heard any B8 Passat (1.8 or 2.0) that has any gearbox related issue (I in an active Passat chat group). Mine had been serving me really well for close to 2 years till it was traded in last month.

I have seen the Camry in one of the PI roadshow before and it’s really not as good as what you think. The quality of interior fit and finish is really low grade. I do not think a VW or any conti would be as bad. It is also quite “low tech”. Lol.

I had seen JDM Camry. It is an improvement over previous gen

post-16870-0-97636800-1539762798_thumb.jpeg

I think the current Passat are quite reliable. So far, I have not heard any B8 Passat (1.8 or 2.0) that has any gearbox related issue (I in an active Passat chat group). Mine had been serving me really well for close to 2 years till it was traded in last month.

Wow 2 years change already....

Can share reasons?

Yes, I have a Golf mk7.5, it is pure shit, even past gen Toyota also better. No gearbox problem but small things that irritates you like shit. Unlocking car only unlock 3 doors; Battery suddenly die after 5 months etc.

This model I don't think will come to SG, it will kill Audi. The reason they can do that in China is because fact: the Audi brand for years have been the government official's car, corrupted or not, it is a lower class for business use than Mercedes or BMW, those 2 are the CEO manager's car. VW China is allowed to compete directly with Audi. They're under 2 different corporates - SAIC 上海大众 vs Northeastern 一汽奥迪

To be fair, VW usually does have better interior than Toyota, even though it's the lowest order in Germany, the rich cities of Munich and Dusseldorf is infested with Mercedes and BMW, little Audis, lots of Volkswagens. If it's not good enough for Germans, they won't buy it. But truth to be told cars like the Polo Jetta is banned from being sold in Germany, the recent reliability issues are complaints for them as well, we're not alone.  

Edited by Destiny_Benyhaha
  • Praise 1

Funny thread: loop discussions.

Some ppl buy small condo, big HDB flats, lease ending landed for the same price range. Whatever rock your boar man, its your money.

I switched from toyota wish to audi, same price different driver satisfaction, like comparing branded bags with quality haversack, same function.

I owned a passat while in UK for a short while, best car i have ever owned. 2.0 Avant all-road. Quality is excellent, strong tidal winds wont break the doors when flunked open. However the engine oil lights always bleeping, asked vendor he say dont care as long the car still in good functioning condition. Ppl there not as anal about their cars unlike singapore.

When i come back in singapore due to peer pressure and local sentiments on volkswagen, i bought a toyota wish brand new. Regret like hell. Feel like changing car during the first week of ownership, the turning sway is like cruise ship, recommended to upgrade to bigger rims, still swaying. The braking distance was borderline dangerous. Keep complaining to friends n family abt the car, my neighbour say once u go conti u dont want go back jap. After 2 years of ownership, a friend dad offered to buy my car, get the deal done within a week.

• Praise 3

Yeah, been getting positive feedback from many kakis as well. B8 rocks!! :a-good:

Funny thread: loop discussions.

Some ppl buy small condo, big HDB flats, lease ending landed for the same price range. Whatever rock your boar man, its your money.

I switched from toyota wish to audi, same price different driver satisfaction, like comparing branded bags with quality haversack, same function.

I owned a passat while in UK for a short while, best car i have ever owned. 2.0 Avant all-road. Quality is excellent, strong tidal winds wont break the doors when flunked open. However the engine oil lights always bleeping, asked vendor he say dont care as long the car still in good functioning condition. Ppl there not as anal about their cars unlike singapore.

When i come back in singapore due to peer pressure and local sentiments on volkswagen, i bought a toyota wish brand new. Regret like hell. Feel like changing car during the first week of ownership, the turning sway is like cruise ship, recommended to upgrade to bigger rims, still swaying. The braking distance was borderline dangerous. Keep complaining to friends n family abt the car, my neighbour say once u go conti u dont want go back jap. After 2 years of ownership, a friend dad offered to buy my car, get the deal done within a week.

I was told the DSG problem is fixed with software upgrade before I bought my car . But my Passat started to show transmission problem after a few months. It totally loses power on the road several times. Because it is still within warranty, I requested to extend warranty to cover the transmission issue but VW service center does not agree. Where shall I complain for my case?

Ytd i was at volkwagen centre. I spoken to one of the SE. He mention that the latest batch 7 speed DSG has no issue.

I was told the same words before I bought my car . But my Passat started to show transmission problem after a few months. It totally loses power on the road several times. Because it is still within warranty, I requested to extend warranty to cover the transmission issue but VW service center does not agree. Where shall I complain for my case?

Twincharged
(edited)

I was told the DSG problem is fixed with software upgrade before I bought my car . But my Passat started to show transmission problem after a few months. It totally loses power on the road several times. Because it is still within warranty, I requested to extend warranty to cover the transmission issue but VW service center does not agree. Where shall I complain for my case?

I was told the same words before I bought my car . But my Passat started to show transmission problem after a few months. It totally loses power on the road several times. Because it is still within warranty, I requested to extend warranty to cover the transmission issue but VW service center does not agree. Where shall I complain for my case?

if its brand new car, go to the agent and get them to replace under lemon law. You got 6 months to do that.

IF its a "he say, she thinks, I heard "  situation and you bought from a second hand car dealer, then you on your own.

Because dealer will tell u , go VW and claim warranty if its an issue.

VW will tell you no fault code, cannot claim as its working to specs.

Edited by Sdf4786k

if its brand new car, go to the agent and get them to replace under lemon law. You got 6 months to do that.

IF its a "he say, she thinks, I heard "  situation and you bought from a second hand car dealer, then you on your own.

Because dealer will tell u , go VW and claim warranty if its an issue.

VW will tell you no fault code, cannot claim as its working to specs.

I got the brand new  1.8T highline Passat from VW and encountered intermittent transmission problem a few months later. At begining, the RPM can suddenly increase and I can feel the power became weaker. Restart the engine can recover to normal. I informed VW service center several times during regular servicing but they did not fixed the problem in the past 2 years. In the last servicing, they changed clutch and the problem became more severe.  Power totally gone 3 times on the road within 3 days.  I had to send it to service center 1 week ago. It is still there. Because the warranty is expiring in 6 months, I requested to extend the warranty to cover the transmission issue. But they refused my request. I think it's a intrinsic design problem commonly happen with VW vehicles. I am seeking legal assistant and calling for cluster actions to VW.

My 1.8T Passat (puchase in Nov 2016) has transmission issue from the beginning and recently showed transmission error and down on road  several times.

(edited)

I just saw a fairly new white passat broke down and towed at Novena around noon today. Maybe same transmission problem? 

Like a reminder to stay away from VW.

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 1

I got the brand new  1.8T highline Passat from VW and encountered intermittent transmission problem a few months later. At begining, the RPM can suddenly increase and I can feel the power became weaker. Restart the engine can recover to normal. I informed VW service center several times during regular servicing but they did not fixed the problem in the past 2 years. In the last servicing, they changed clutch and the problem became more severe.  Power totally gone 3 times on the road within 3 days.  I had to send it to service center 1 week ago. It is still there. Because the warranty is expiring in 6 months, I requested to extend the warranty to cover the transmission issue. But they refused my request. I think it's a intrinsic design problem commonly happen with VW vehicles. I am seeking legal assistant and calling for cluster actions to VW.

maybe you go to the dedicated VW forum, vagsg iirc, to gather more people to take action and cluster bomb VCS  

↡ Advertisement