Fibre TV and termination point

Rollagt

Need to seek fellow MCFers view on this.

I read that Starhub will be terminating the cable TV and migrate to fibre TV in a few years time and in order for fibreTV to work, the TV set and supporting hardwares had to be connected to the termination point (OpenNet) via cables.

If my termination point is located at the main door area, does it mean I have to engage technician to relocate the termination point to my living room with drilling thru walls and ugly trunking ?

Is it possible for FibreTV to work via WIFI ?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Yes and yes.

My wife asked the tech who came to run extension and drill hole into the study where the router is for better signal to the bedrooms.

By right there’s a cost to it but Aunty 出招 acted cute and blur so...

Yes and yes.

My wife asked the tech who came to run extension and drill hole into the study where the router is for better signal to the bedrooms.

By right there’s a cost to it but Aunty 出招 acted cute and blur so...

I was told the cost is S$160.

How do you get it free?

Who does it for you?

BTW I am perfectly happy with the cable connection but as you say this will stop soon, Starhub can't or won't say when, so I want to get the indoor fibre point sorted.

Edited by Neutrino
  • Praise 1

I read that Starhub will be terminating the cable TV and migrate to fibre TV in a few years time and in order for fibreTV to work, the TV set and supporting hardwares had to be connected to the termination point (OpenNet) via cables.

If my termination point is located at the main door area, does it mean I have to engage technician to relocate the termination point to my living room with drilling thru walls and ugly trunking ?

The OpenNet termination point will near the main door where it will connect to the modem and router (wifi) in the living room, you can then lay LAN cable trunking to your room.

If you require another TV box (singtel tv or starhub tv) in the room, it cannot be transmit via wifi, you need the cable. 

I was told the cost is S$160.

How do you get it free?

Who does it for you?

BTW I am perfectly happy with the cable connection but as you say this will stop soon, Starhub can't or won't say when, so I want to get the indoor fibre point sorted.

I meant any extension...

Twincharged

Need to seek fellow MCFers view on this.

I read that Starhub will be terminating the cable TV and migrate to fibre TV in a few years time and in order for fibreTV to work, the TV set and supporting hardwares had to be connected to the termination point (OpenNet) via cables.

SH is using back the ONT... So basically you can leave the ONT at your TP original location ...but only need to pull one cable from the ONT to your TV, not a whole bunch.

Wait for recontract yr SH TV.. I did a recontract.. They gave me FREE SH fibre 1 gig.. Free linksys AC router. Free 1 x lan point wring to living room TV.

Edited by Digthis1

I am not sure what the current situation is.

My guess is that SH is putting all its digital tv signal on fibre /ethernet.

That means, you'll need a router/wifi and SH will probably provide a set top box (with decryption) to convert ethernet signal from the router to HDMI, so you can connect to TV

That means the end of coax cables.

Refer to the diagram I post. If you want to replace the IP switch with wifi. How are you going to get the wifi client to connect to STB? Most wifi client need a pc to set the config unless u use a stand alone wifi client.

There are 2 ways - One is to use powerline plug. Another one is to use MoCA device and run thr existing coax tv point.

I am using MoCA as the starhub Samsung STB is MoCA 1.1 certified. I just use back the existing coax cable via current tv point.

Refer to the diagram I post. If you want to replace the IP switch with wifi. How are you going to get the wifi client to connect to STB? Most wifi client need a pc to set the config unless u use a stand alone wifi client.

There are 2 ways - One is to use powerline plug. Another one is to use MoCA device and run thr existing coax tv point.

I am using MoCA as the starhub Samsung STB is MoCA 1.1 certified. I just use back the existing coax cable via current tv point.

How’s the powerline plug performs against a more powerful router?

I ask this is because I’m procrastinating to get this for each room as the wifi at home generally good till my girl watched YT on her OPPO hp, it seems to suck up most of the bandwidth...

Howâs the powerline plug performs against a more powerful router?

I ask this is because Iâm procrastinating to get this for each room as the wifi at home generally good till my girl watched YT on her OPPO hp, it seems to suck up most of the bandwidth...ð¤ª

Yt can suck bandwidth meh?

Suspicious :grin:

How’s the powerline plug performs against a more powerful router?

I ask this is because I’m procrastinating to get this for each room as the wifi at home generally good till my girl watched YT on her OPPO hp, it seems to suck up most of the bandwidth...

Edited by Queks

She usually watches music beedeos while I watch prawning...shouldnât have conflicts right?

Shouldn’t lah

Both usage very Low one

Unless is wifi coverage issues

You download the wifisweetspot app, see get how many mbps. (This is not actual mbps. This just check for how many mbps from router. Not internet speed. But if Low mean coverage issue)

Edited by Mustank

If she watches Youtube UltraHD channels

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCve7_yAZHFNipzeAGBI5t9g

and you watch Ultra HD Lobstering......highly likely the wireless router bandwidth kenna maxed out :D

No wonder...we both like HD stuff.

Shouldnât lah

Both usage very Low one

Unless is wifi coverage issues

You download the wifisweetspot app, see get how many mbps. (This is not actual mbps. This just check for how many mbps from router. Not internet speed. But if Low mean coverage issue)

Oh yah. My colleague mentioned this before...I’ll try that...thanks for the reminder.

No wonder...we both like HD stuff.

Oh yah. My colleague mentioned this before...Iâll try that...thanks for the reminder.

today’s life is so dependent on network

Young and old need to learn simple network troubleshoot

↡ Advertisement