Tenants/Customers to pay 20 cents per tray issued at hawker centres

Mcf777

Attended the Punggol Town Hub ground breaking recently and these are the hawker centres by 2027

I am abit unsure.

If our government keep saying our GDP increases every year, $500,000 mediocre, all the high street brands are available here, mega sphopping centres in almost every town centres ....... shouldn't we be building more restaurants and food court instead.

The fact that they are building more hawker centres is it because statistics points that in future more and more people will be able to affort at most hawker centres.

They drum up hawker fair as heritage so to make it look high class for the masses to eat at.

So which is which?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

[inlove] for me is Bukit Merah view hawker center [inlove]

I was there two weeks ago to eat lunch

must pay S$1 for the stupid tray. i say dont need tray

I need to help keep the jobs of the elderly workers.

I was there two weeks ago to eat lunch

must pay S$1 for the stupid tray. i say dont need tray

I need to help keep the jobs of the elderly workers.

Not Bukit Merah central

Is Bukit Merah view

True old stuff

Attended the Punggol Town Hub ground breaking recently and these are the hawker centres by 2027

Huat Ah!

Huat Ah!

Huat Ah!

KNN, only operator huat Ah!

Unless Hawker give half size bowl...

Like when I went Taiwan always thought their food is really cheap compare to Singapore.....

Most of the food is 80% the price and 60% the serving.

NETT Nett still 20% cheaper but all tourist thought 40% cheaper.

Social Enterprise run Hawker Centres providers provided an even bigger illusion.....

We thought we don't mind paying higher amount to Hawker to ensure they get higher returns.....

In the end Hawker didn't raise price only the operator raise cost.....

In the end it's the hawkers subsidising cost of food to maintain ie: a $4 CKT while operator pocket all the difference.

Does it benefit the consumers?

Maybe...because the prices are maintain.

But will it make hawkers cut quality....Maybe

Is this sustainable?

Unlikely

Is this profitable?

Likely only for the operators

If it goes on....

我们即将没口福了。

Not Bukit Merah central

Is Bukit Merah view

True old stuff

My favourite mutton soup is there!
  • Praise 1

Near your old house?

Yes yes

Good High ceiling

Very windy and airy because there is Bukit Merah view

Lots of wind

Got atm machine

Got nice old feel to it

Huat Ah!

Huat Ah!

Huat Ah!

KNN, only operator huat Ah!

Unless Hawker give half size bowl...

Like when I went Taiwan always thought their food is really cheap compare to Singapore.....

Most of the food is 80% the price and 60% the serving.

NETT Nett still 20% cheaper but all tourist thought 40% cheaper.

Social Enterprise run Hawker Centres providers provided an even bigger illusion.....

We thought we don't mind paying higher amount to Hawker to ensure they get higher returns.....

In the end Hawker didn't raise price only the operator raise cost.....

In the end it's the hawkers subsidising cost of food to maintain ie: a $4 CKT while operator pocket all the difference.

Does it benefit the consumers?

Maybe...because the prices are maintain.

But will it make hawkers cut quality....Maybe

Is this sustainable?

Unlikely

Is this profitable?

Likely only for the operators

If it goes on....

æ们å³å°æ²¡å£ç¦äºã

My favourite mutton soup is there!

There is really solid stuff

So many ridiculous T&C.

Many worms are out

http://www.makansutra.com/stories/1/1732/PleasePreserveourPublicHawkerCentres

c643a9_20centspertrayreturned.jpg

Open Letter to Snr Minister of State Dr Amy Khor

Dear SMS Dr Amy Khor,

Please Preserve our Public Hawker Centres

Thank you so much for studying the situation on the unfair practices of the Social Enterprise Hawker Centre (SEHC) organisations. You now asked them to be transparent in their additional service fees and to keep it optional. But allow me to share that it is not about the transparency of the fees but the high overall operation fees in general, at such public owned and built hawker centres. You also said the rental and fees of a SEHC are comparable to other private food courts and halls in Singapore but I should suggest that it instead be compared to the other 100 plus established NEA run public hawkers centres and coffeeshops (some of which are already run by NTUC Foodfare now). The difference is quite stark. Private food courts can charge and levy any amount they deem fit as it’s a private enterprise.

I thought I saw the worst in an East sited SEHC contract terms until a hawker from another SEHC shared their woes with me. This one takes the cake.

Pay Rent Till Next Tenant Signs Up

They operate a SEHC noodle stall managed by a famous local food court chain. After a year, they decided to give up their $4k a month (the usual basic rents and with service fees that more than double it) stall as they could not sustain the business because footfall began to freefall after opening. To my horror, they are made to pay up the remaining years and months of rent and fees left in their contract, or till another tenant is found (to management’s satisfaction, see image). That’s a painful minimum of $2k a month until further notice. This new hawker is relocating to a high footfall residential area private coffeeshop for about the same rent and operation fees that guarantees an existing crowd and diners every day with less operation control. They now have to pay up the monthly “penalty” fees in the SEHC and also for rents their new stall. They are a start-up hawker fending for their family seeking help by running a public hawker centre stall with a so-called social enterprise model. But that’s not all.

20cts Per Tray Returned

I also note this SEHC has introduced a tray return for cashback system for customers (20cts each one they do so). The irony is- the hawkers are made to pay 20cts each time for each tray returned to their stall. I note from the hawker that the figure amounts to anything from $400 to $800 a month just on tray returns alone (which is over and above the cleaning and maintenance fees).

Raise Fees Anytime and Binding.

Even more.. they send professionally and independently written lawyer contracts on any update in management terms and charge the hawkers for the contracts drafted. This is rather ridiculous. Landlords do not charge tenants for standard contract offer letters in market practices. Worse, they say there’s even a clause that allow landlord to raise service and monthly fees anytime with given notice and that it is binding.

Please Take Back Control of Public Hawker Centres, NEA.

I suggest the National Environment Agency (NEA) consider taking back control of the public owned hawker centres and SEHCs as these private companies are not totally clear and mindful as how they should be managed to public satisfaction, despite their best efforts. There are almost 30,000 hawker street food licenses in Singapore and only 6000 are sited in 114 public owned hawker centres. I urge NEA to run these 6000 like they always had, effectively and with minimal fuss, using even a market rate bidding system with minimal control on service and operation. The NEA are trained to have Singapore Civil Service obligations when they run it. The private operators don’t. These 114 public owned Hawker Centres are created for, and powered by the people, which makes it such a great culture for the other 24,000 private stalls to emulate. Even our PM sees this as Unesco Intangible Award worthy.

These revenue hungry private operators can rightly do their commercial rental and operation model, on a mutually agreed buyer-seller agreements in the privately owned coffeeshops, food halls and markets, canteens, food courts etc.. but please keep them away from our public hawker centres. We have to preserve low operation cost so hawkers can comfortably offer cheaper meals for poorer customers in our midst who depend on it, preserve this food heritage and encourage a new breed of hawker to rise to the fore and address continuity and sustainability.

It’s a Not-For-Profit Operation

If NEA should continue to allow these SEHC to be run by the private sectors, then allow a public independent team/committee to check up that they deliver on their promises to help promote and make the hawker food culture viable, affordable and sustainable for even the future generations. It is run on a Not-For-Profit model after all.

I have suggested that this hawker write to you personally to share their struggles (and the likes of them) with you, so you can factor their concerns moving ahead as you craft even better policies for the public owned hawker centre operations in future.

Thank you for taking time to understand my concerns for this great food heritage of our nation. I will be happy to provide more feedback if you so require.

KF Seetoh

Founder, Makansutra

Prominent public figures slam SMRT Feedback for character assassination of Makansutra’s K F Seetoh, claim it is “typical of PAP” | The Independent

http://theindependent.sg/prominent-public-figures-slam-smrt-feedback-for-character-assassination-of-makansutras-k-f-seetoh-claim-it-is-typical-of-pap/

post-167240-0-73629000-1539772980_thumb.png

• Praise 5

All the others companies Koufu engaged, are own brothers or own set-up company.

No 3rd party

==========================

Hawker centre operator must ensure open, fair competition, Koufu upfront about contracts: NEA

CHONG JUN LIANG
PUBLISHED4 HOURS AGOUPDATED3 HOURS AGO
FACEBOOKTWITTEREMAIL
Benson Ang 

SINGAPORE - The National Environment Agency (NEA) said it requires the operator of Jurong West Hawker Centre to ensure that there is open and fair competition, as well as a transparent, value-for-money system, when procuring cleaning services for the centre. It also pointed out how the operator's parent company Koufu has been upfront about its relationship with GreatSolutions, which provides cleaning services.

The directors of the companies are brothers.

NEA was replying to a query after the relationship was highlighted by some netizens last weekend.

According to a Koufu IPO prospectus dated July 11 this year, it was stated that it obtains dishwashing, cleaning, landscaping and vector control services from GreatSolutions for several of its food centres.

NEA noted that the document made it clear that GreatSolutions was an "interested person". The document went on to state that Koufu will only enter into contracts for the provision of such services, or electrical services, by the mandated interested persons if it is "satisfied that the rates or prices from (them) are not higher than the most competitive quote provided by other third-party service providers for comparable services".

According to the prospectus, such contracts will only be entered after obtaining competing quotes from at least two unrelated third-party service providers, and taking into account other relevant factors.

Koufu's chief executive is Mr Pang Lim. His younger brother, Mr Pang Pok, is the director of GreatSolutions. Both men are in their 60s. Koufu also listed another company Brightlink Electrical as an interested party. It provides electrical services to Koufu's food and beverage outlets and is part-owned by another brother, Mr Pang Pong San.

The lunchtime crowd at Pasir Ris Central Hawker Centre, one of the new centres managed by private social enterprises and cooperatives. Footfall is a key consideration among hawkers at the centres under the new model. Some hawkers at the Jurong West H
Related Story
Teething problems with new hawker centre model
Related Story
Jurong West Hawker Centre operator, tenants discuss alternatives to controversial 20-cent tray-return system
Hawker Management, which operates the Jurong West hawker centre, said it sources for competitive quotes for all procurement of goods and services, adding: "All such transactions are subject to a rigorous review process and entered into on an arm's length basis."

According to previous reports, the Pang brothers started their first coffee shop, an eight-stall unit in Yishun, in 1991. Their late father ran various businesses, including a coffee stall, and their mother was identified as a school janitor. The couple had seven children.

NEA also said it was present at a discussion which Hawker Management held with six tenants on Tuesday. The hawkers were among a group of 12 who submitted a petition in August against them having to pay customers 20 cents each time a tray is returned.

Hawker Management described the meeting as cordial and effective, and said both the operator and the tenants recognise that all parties want to drive improvements at the hawker centre.

The NEA spokesman said: "NEA continues to monitor the situation closely, and to support both sides to try and work out an amicable solution as soon as possible."

I am abit unsure.

If our government keep saying our GDP increases every year, $500,000 mediocre, all the high street brands are available here, mega sphopping centres in almost every town centres ....... shouldn't we be building more restaurants and food court instead.

The fact that they are building more hawker centres is it because statistics points that in future more and more people will be able to affort at most hawker centres.

They drum up hawker fair as heritage so to make it look high class for the masses to eat at.

So which is which?

wtf. build hawker centre also wrong?

knn, my complaint is they should build it faster instead of talking about it. And build MORE.

• Praise 1

Prominent public figures slam SMRT Feedback for character assassination of Makansutra’s K F Seetoh, claim it is “typical of PAP” | The Independent

http://theindependent.sg/prominent-public-figures-slam-smrt-feedback-for-character-assassination-of-makansutras-k-f-seetoh-claim-it-is-typical-of-pap/

Tray return works like this....

hawker charged 20c per tray passed to their stall. They charge 20c more to the customer. Customer returns the tray to some machine and gets 20c back.

It's a stupid system but not exactly and extra cost to the hawker.

Now I go hawker center, get free wifi, Jin happy :grin:

But I won’t go all these new hawker center

I will support my favourite hawkers in good old hawker centers

• Praise 1

Now I go hawker center, get free wifi, Jin happy :grin:

But I won’t go all these new hawker center

I will support my favourite hawkers in good old hawker centers

Hawker centre now have free wifi?

Tray return works like this....

hawker charged 20c per tray passed to their stall. They charge 20c more to the customer. Customer returns the tray to some machine and gets 20c back.

It's a stupid system but not exactly and extra cost to the hawker.

It is charging 20 cents commission for each meal they sell.  Assuming the meal is $3 each, that's 6.7% EXTRA profits for the hawker centre operator, ON TOP of other charges/profits for the operator.

Bl@@dy good business, considering most decent companies don't make 6.7% net profits on sales.

pays to be have grassrhoot membership.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2