All About Wines

Atonchia

Need to have a topic on something I love.

Find it odd after so long there is no thread about wines.

Not wine investment crap

Not about cheap wines

But wines that you love

Wines that you want share

It can be Chateau Lafite Rothschild 1982.

Or boast how many Romanee Conti you have pour in the basin.

Or share the wine and food pairing that makes your day.

Best deal and bang for buck vino.

Edited by Atonchia
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

Need to have a topic on something I love.

Find it odd after so long there is no thread about wines.

Not wine investment crap

Not about cheap wines

But wines that you love

Wines that you want share

It can be Chateau Lafite Rothschild 1982.

Or boast how many Romanee Conti you have pour in the basin.

Or share the wine and food pairing that makes your day.

Best deal and bang for buck vino.

It depends on your disposable income.

In Singapore, alcohol attracts a lot of tax which makes enjoying drinking them a lot more expensive, in short, not value for money.

I always believe in value for money even if you got money to throw. 

Unless you want to haolian.

Alcohol, like wine, is actually highly dependent on individual taste. Even if Parker gives a 99 marks, it may not to your taste and also depends on your experience tasting wine.

It is a process, that is, you graduate from enjoying young wine to graduating to more full bodied wine.

I always view that if someone can find a "cheap" wine that taste as good as some top wine, then you have hit jackpot.

Like all things in life, there are many more options to enjoy life, not necessarily wine, fast cars or even lolex. 

• Praise 8

(edited)

In Singapore, alcohol attracts a lot of tax which makes enjoying drinking them a lot more expensive, in short, not value for money.

Alcohol, like wine, is actually highly dependent on individual taste. Even if Parker gives a 99 marks, it may not to your taste and also depends on your experience tasting wine.

It is a process, that is, you graduate from enjoying young wine to graduating to more full bodied wine.

I always view that if someone can find a "cheap" wine that taste as good as some top wine, then you have hit jackpot.

Like all things in life, there are many more options to enjoy life, not necessarily wine, fast cars or even lolex.

Good for you.

I find the watches thread mainly revolves on Rolex.

Which defeat the discussion of Watches

Might as well to change the thread as Rolex instead.

Just as you mention wine is subjective, it does not need to be a Haolian thread like the watches thread which only serve for the a specific brand.

This thread is not about cheap or expensive wines

But wines that a person like with the food.

Most importantly is to share how each individual liking.

There are so many Haolian people in this forum

I would like to see if any will post photo no video of them pouring Romanee Conti down the drain.

Then can't say I so rich I just lot away a good wine.

But I want to see genuine love of wines than being a show off.

Is about type of wines, the varietal, the blends, the origins

Not just about brands

Edited by Atonchia
  • Praise 2

agree that wine in SGP is more expensive than most of the places eleswhere, not value for money. But we live here and this is the kind of money we have to pay, unless we can go elsewhere to drink which is not viable. It is like in SGP, a car is about 4 times more expensive than that of many other countries, but people still buy car. End of the day is we have no choice, so just pay and drink.

Alcohol tax is not very expensive but it is the operating cost and margin that is causing the wine price to be expensive. In SGP, Alcohol tax is $70 per litter of alcohol , for a 750ml bottle of red wine with 13% alcohol, the tax is only about $7/ bottle.

Anyway, if you enjoy drinking, just buy and drink. life is short and vulnerable. Just remember, dont drink and drive, and dont consume excessively. drinking wine with friends, plus some food is always a very enjoyable session.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 5

agree that wine in SGP is more expensive than more of the place. It is not value for money. but we live here and this is the kind of money we have to pay, unless we can go elsewhere to drink which is not viable. It is like in SGP, a car is about 4 times more expensive than that of many other countries, but people still buy car. End of the day is we have no choice, so just pay and drink.

Alcohol tax is not very expensive but it is the operating cost and margin that is causing the wine price to be expensive. In SGP, Alcohol tax is $70 per litter of alcohol , for a 750ml bottle of red wine with 13% alcohol, the tax is only about $7/ bottle.

Anyway, if you enjoy drinking, just buy and drink. life is short and vulnerable. Just remember, dont drink and drive, and dont consume excessively. drinking wine with friends, plus some food is always a very enjoyable session.

I drive

Then drink

• Praise 2

Let me start the sharing

Gotten a bottle a New Zealand Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc from supermarket.

Original price is almost $40, was on promotion of 30+% off. Then with wine membership there's a further reduction.

Sau Blanc is like everyday drinking wine quality. There isn't much a wine maker can do to change the taste profile or quality of the wine.

About the region Marlborough, is at northern part of South Island, largest wine region in NZ.

The main characteristic of the Marlborough climate is its dryness. Summer droughts are frequent, and the region is often swept by warm, dry northwesterlies. The climate is rather continental in type, with hot, dry summers and cold winters. However, in coastal areas, this effect is significantly moderated.

The wine

It has a unique bright colour on the label. There is also a small rounded silver sticker which will have an ice crystal turning blue when it's chilled to the right temperature.

Like any Sau Blanc or young white wine almost always has the greenish hue to the rim, the signature citrus and herbaceous notes on the nose with a hint of grapefruit.

On the palate,

the fresh and crisp characteristic just makes one salivate after each mouthful.

Most people like to pair Say Blanc or dry Riesling with fresh seafood.

I had a takeaway Taiwanese oyster vermicelli noodles together with the chilled wine.

The umami taste of the food balance the crisp acidity of the wine.

Just kept me going alternating mouthful of vermmicelli and mouthful of Sau blanc. Then wash down the oysters with another mouthful.

To me that is enjoyment of simple food with everyday drinking wine.

This is my review this week.

• Praise 5

Last week I shared a NZ wine.

This week will be moving to another continent, North America.

This wine was shared by my neighbour who recently went to California.

So he visited a winery that serve the wines to White house to more than 50 US presidents and foreign delegates they host.

I always thought USA wines lack intensity and structure until I have tried a glass of this wine.

However it really quite pricey and can't really find the wine in SG.

Anyway, we googled the wine tasting notes while trying the wine. It was recommended to cellar it another 5 years or more.

The wine he shared is the exact wine pour in White House.

It's a Cabernet Sauvignon, it's unctuous fruit character and dense structure. Hugely complex, the wine reveals a broad spectrum of briary blackberry, black cherry and currant notes, with nuances of violet and bittersweet chocolate.

Muscular tannins support the plush, expansive palate, while impeccably balanced acidity adds vibrancy.

Wines Advocate gave the 2014 Vintage 97 points.

"Blended of 93% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Petit Verdot and 3 % Merlot, all coming mainly from the Rutherford AVA, the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon has a deep garnet-purple color and nose of baked black berries, dried mulberries and preserved plums with hints of allspice, cardamom, lavender and cigar box. Full-bodied, rich and expressive even today, it has a firm, chewy backbone and bags of freshness, promising a long life and much more to come with careful cellaring. 6,600 cases were made." - Lisa Perrotti-Brown, Wine Advocate

VINTAGE NOTE

Dry, early and shaking is how 2014 will be remembered in Napa Valley, yet it had a silver lining with small, concentrated grapes and high quality. February’s rains brought the total rainfall up to low but adequate, helping to relieve three years of drought conditions. Warm temperatures promoted early budbreak in spring and accelerated grape maturation. Just as harvest began, a dramatic 6.0 earthquake shook Napa Valley awake on August 24. We finished the very compact, plentiful harvest by mid-October and celebrated the vintage’s beautifully ripened grapes.

This wine definitely not for daily drinking or will burn a huge hole in the pocket.

A bottle can pay for >70 litres of VPower.

• Praise 1

Just to say when I first started holidaying in France the currency was francs not Euros.

The cheapest wine in the supermarkets was ... well can't remember the name now but it was 5 francs a bottle perhaps if my math is correct about one Sing Dollar.

Couldn;t resist trying it and saw that a lot of French people were buying it by the case.

Anyway I thought it was great, I may have been influenced by the price but it was great.

So I've never been put off by cheap wines.

Buying wines in Singapore is ssooo dificult.

I still will try the cheapest wines in fact Atonchia I'd like your opinion of the Tini wine bought from Fairprice which is easily quaffable.  It's an Italian red.

Back to Singapore Supermarket wine.

I find a lot of the cheap stuff to be a lot better than the 30 to 40 dollar stuff and will never buy a wine over S$ 35 here as it just isn't worth it, imo.

Rather than 'expensive' Sauv Blanc me and the missus like to drink a Chenin Blanc with sea food.

Another red we like to buy here is Finca Las Moras, any opinion on it?

I like to read what you write but we drink what we like and when we have bought expensive wines they've always disappointed.  Maybe it's our palates.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Just to say when I first started holidaying in France the currency was francs not Euros.

The cheapest wine in the supermarkets was ... well can't remember the name now but it was 5 francs a bottle perhaps if my math is correct about one Sing Dollar.

Couldn;t resist trying it and saw that a lot of French people were buying it by the case.

Anyway I thought it was great, I may have been influenced by the price but it was great.

So I've never been put off by cheap wines.

Buying wines in Singapore is ssooo dificult.

I still will try the cheapest wines in fact Atonchia I'd like your opinion of the Tini wine bought from Fairprice which is easily quaffable. It's an Italian red.

Back to Singapore Supermarket wine.

I find a lot of the cheap stuff to be a lot better than the 30 to 40 dollar stuff and will never buy a wine over S$ 35 here as it just isn't worth it, imo.

Rather than 'expensive' Sauv Blanc me and the missus like to drink a Chenin Blanc with sea food.

Another red we like to buy here is Finca Las Moras, any opinion on it?

I like to read what you write but we drink what we like and when we have bought expensive wines they've always disappointed. Maybe it's our palates.

A lot of times is dependent on luck to get a cheap wine that taste good.

Yes I have tried wines that is cheap and good. Our excise is already $7-10 a bottle, the 5 frac wine could easily be $15 on SG.

Prices of wines are very dependent on the value chain it went through.

What I understand is wines especially white wines if doesn't require wooden barrel maturation, price will be lower. Because wooden barrel require plantation, manufacturing and logistic, the issue is it cannot be use for a long long time and smaller capacity than a huge stainless tank.

Wines like Chenin Blanc can be make in huge stainless steel tank, thus will have fresh and fruity characteristic.

These wines are made to enjoy young and doesn't require complexity and structure for cellaring.

Think these white varieties which just single dimensional can source the fruits from a larger geography. So not restricted to smaller regions which will limit supply....Thus economy 101 more supply less pricey.

The alcohol content is usually also lower. Thus with 3 major factors that affect price, Chenin Blanc and some unoak chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc or white blends can command very lòw price.

For reds is similar, but is more complicated because of the tannins.

I ever bought a $15 French, Product of France wine from a supermarket.

I only took a sip from the glass then can't really swallow the rest. So I open the same brand white which I bought together with the red in the offer. I found the white more drinkable.

The following day I try the red again. It's definitely gone.

I've actually poured the wine down the basin. It's the only bottle I've ever pour away.

Edited by Atonchia

I like red wines. To choose bottles Iâm not familiar with, I rely on the Vivino app. Normally works :)

Yes me too.

It's the power of sharing.

Last week I shared a NZ wine.

This week will be moving to another continent, North America.

This wine was shared by my neighbour who recently went to California.

So he visited a winery that serve the wines to White house to more than 50 US presidents and foreign delegates they host.

I always thought USA wines lack intensity and structure until I have tried a glass of this wine.

However it really quite pricey and can't really find the wine in SG.

Anyway, we googled the wine tasting notes while trying the wine. It was recommended to cellar it another 5 years or more.

The wine he shared is the exact wine pour in White House.

It's a Cabernet Sauvignon, it's unctuous fruit character and dense structure. Hugely complex, the wine reveals a broad spectrum of briary blackberry, black cherry and currant notes, with nuances of violet and bittersweet chocolate.

Muscular tannins support the plush, expansive palate, while impeccably balanced acidity adds vibrancy.

Wines Advocate gave the 2014 Vintage 97 points.

"Blended of 93% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Petit Verdot and 3 % Merlot, all coming mainly from the Rutherford AVA, the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon has a deep garnet-purple color and nose of baked black berries, dried mulberries and preserved plums with hints of allspice, cardamom, lavender and cigar box. Full-bodied, rich and expressive even today, it has a firm, chewy backbone and bags of freshness, promising a long life and much more to come with careful cellaring. 6,600 cases were made." - Lisa Perrotti-Brown, Wine Advocate

VINTAGE NOTE

Dry, early and shaking is how 2014 will be remembered in Napa Valley, yet it had a silver lining with small, concentrated grapes and high quality. Februaryâs rains brought the total rainfall up to low but adequate, helping to relieve three years of drought conditions. Warm temperatures promoted early budbreak in spring and accelerated grape maturation. Just as harvest began, a dramatic 6.0 earthquake shook Napa Valley awake on August 24. We finished the very compact, plentiful harvest by mid-October and celebrated the vintageâs beautifully ripened grapes.

This wine definitely not for daily drinking or will burn a huge hole in the pocket.

A bottle can pay for >70 litres of VPower.ð

Yes , drinking wine can be damaging to one's pocket , and the problem is when the tastebuds get papmered, the expectation will continue to raise. Now i will limit to about $80 to max $150 prr bottle for daily or weekly consumption, only when special occasuina then will pamper alightly.

I like red wines. To choose bottles I’m not familiar with, I rely on the Vivino app. Normally works :)

i seldom drink wine, cannot afford  [bigcry]  [bigcry]

saw your post. Just tried this app, rated with 5 stars - good right?

cannot remember who give it to peasant  [hur]  

post-143314-0-62442100-1540737780_thumb.png

• Praise 1

Yes , drinking wine can be damaging to one's pocket , and the problem is when the tastebuds get papmered, the expectation will continue to raise. Now i will limit to about $80 to max $150 prr bottle for daily or weekly consumption, only when special occasuina then will pamper alightly.

Hahaha so true.

My regular range is $30+

Birthdays and Anniversary then $100+ range.

So far the special range is the vintages I keep are my kids birth year.

Will only open when they turn legal drink age. The rest when they turn 21 then get married.

Wine very similar to watch.

Need to share with people who can appreciate.

↡ Advertisement