All About Wines

Atonchia

(edited)

If anyone is keen to try the $100 range, this single grape sangiovese from Italy would be a good bet with a 98+ Robert Parker rating. Hardly you will find such rating at $100 range. My fridge is full so I cant take in any more, if anyone is keen to share a few bottles for quick consumption, please count me in.

This is a a very young 2016 grapes, they have 2011 vintage as well and is going at about the same price, but I am unable to find any rating. So you will have to decide a young wine with good ratings or a slightly aged wine with no ratings.

https://www.millesima.sg/felsina-fontalloro-2016.html

Enjoy folks, drink wine weekly and you will get happiness every week. Buy car you will get happiness for 3 months, but after that you will pay installment for many years to come, you decide what you want. Haha.

Edited by Ct3833
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Nothing good to buy from Changi DFS. 

I actually bought some single malts last week and didn't buy wines. [laugh]

Sometimes need to jolt the taste buds.

Fortified Wine Types and Uses

GettyImages-524000239-c614c25cf5e84192a4

A fortified wine is a delicious, viscous wine-based sipping treat that is often enjoyed as a drink before or after dinner. The most common types of fortified wines are Madeira, Marsala, port, sherry, and vermouth.

These still wines have been "fortified" with a distilled spirit such as brandy. The original use of fortification was to preserve the wine, as casks of wine were prone to turn to vinegar during long sea voyages. The spirit added might also enhance the wine's natural flavors. The liquor is added to the base wine during fermentation. This fortifying of the wine brings the average alcohol content up to around 17 to 20 percent alcohol by volume.

Fortified wines can be made in either a dry or a sweet style. The middle-ground of medium-sweet or medium-dry is covered in virtually all of the fortified wine categories and they will vary from one producer to the next.

How Is Fortified Wine Made?
Many fortified wines are blends of various grapes and vintages. The majority are stylistically similar to the classifications of the wines that go into the blend.

Fortified wines are not distilled, though some people mistakenly categorize them as a liquor. This is particularly true of vermouth, it is likely the result of its use in ​making martinis. Quite often, the fortifying liquor is simply called a "neutral grape spirit." Essentially, this is a brandy or eau de vie. The amount of time a wine is allowed to ferment before being fortified determines whether it will be sweet or dry.

Once this alcohol is added, the yeast stops converting sugar to alcohol and all of the remaining grape sugar is left in the wine as residual sugar. If a sweeter fortified wine is desired, the neutral grape spirits are typically added within the first day and a half of fermentation. To make a dry fortified wine, you would allow the full fermentation process to run its course. This consumes the remaining sugar before adding the neutral grape spirits.

Most fortified wines have no additional flavoring agents. But in the case of vermouth, botanicals are added during the process to give it an herbal flavor profile.

Aging 
Many fortified wines undergo aging in wood casks. The actual aging time depends on the fortified wine. In general, the cheaper the fortified wine, the less time it has spent aging in oak. As a result of this deep wood aging, many fortified wines will benefit from decanting and aeration.

Types of Fortified Wine

There are five basic styles of fortified wine. These vary by regional preferences or the methods used in producing them:

Madeira is a white fortified wine from the Portuguese island of the same name. It comes with various classifications, including by grape and age.

Marsala is an Italian specialty originating from the country's southern region. It is classified by both color and age, with sweet and dry varieties represented.

Port wine is the best-known fortified wine. Though Portugal is known for creating ports, it's now produced throughout the world. For this wine, you can choose from tawny, ruby, vintage, and white ports.

Sherry is a well-known fortified wine produced in Southwest Spain. It comes in fino (dry and light-bodied) and oloroso (dry but richer) styles.

Vermouth is probably better known as the "other" ingredient in a martini, but it's great to sip on its own as an aperitif. It is generally available as either dry or sweet. Vermouth is produced worldwide and varies in taste and quality depending on the producer.
There are other fortified wines that do not fit conveniently into one of these categories. Those typically rely on proprietary recipes and, quite often, utilize a special blend of herbs or botanicals to make them distinct from all others. Dubonnet and Lillet are two labels that fall into this non-category.

Storing Fortified Wines
Since fortified wines vary by style, it's difficult to give general guidelines about storing and serving. While it is best to look into the recommendations for a particular type, there are a few suggestions you can keep in mind.

Unopened bottles of fortified wine can be stored in a cool, dark location. Some, such as fino and manzanilla sherry, should not sit on the shelf long after bottling. Others will be okay for a few months. With a few exceptions, you can think of the shelf life of most fortified wine as falling in between that of wine and liquor.

Once opened, it is best to drink fortified wines as soon as possible. However, vermouth can retain its flavor for up to three months. All open bottles of fortified wine should be stored upright in the refrigerator.

Serving Recommendations
Similar to other wines, serving temperatures vary with fortified wines. While some are best chilled, its recommended to serve others at room temperature. This is also going to depend on your personal preference as well.

While any fortified wine is designed to be enjoyed straight from the bottle, they're useful in mixing up cocktails. They're often best in simple drinks, such as the sherry cobbler and white port and tonic.

Fortified wines also make a great cooking wine. If you find that your wine is too far gone to drink, add it to a sauce or another recipe that calls for a little wine.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-is-a-fortified-wine-3510908

• Praise 4

Millesima is having 33% discount, but you have to buy three cases in order to get the 33% discount . It is as good as you buy 2 cases and get one free. You can choose any 3 different cases of wine, they will give you 33% off. Some of the wines have above 90 robert parker rating and 17 Janice robinson rating at slightly above $100 per bottle, i think these are the price performance wines that you can try. I dont represent them, so you go navigate the site yourself.  If you need people to team up with you, I am more than happy to combine with you order , my fridge is quite full already,  can take at best two more cases including my regular consumption. 

https://www.millesima.sg/promo-2.html

• Praise 3

(edited)

My friend shared this site with me for some of popular wines available in supermarket.... But at better price.... for certain range. 

However he told me sometimes the <$30 wines might be better off buying at supermarket when they do very good discounts. 

https://thecellar.sg/

Edited by Atonchia
  • Praise 2

Rose wines has been very trendy in the last few years and Provence is one region that has majority of wines being Rose. 

So Googled and share a bit. 

image.jpg

Provence (Provençal) wine comes from the French wine-producing region of Provence in southeast France. The Romans called the area provincia nostra ("our province"), giving the region its name. Just south of the Alps, it was the first Roman province outside Italy.

Wine has been made in this region for at least 2,600 years, ever since the ancient Greeks founded the city of Marseille in 600 BC. Throughout the region's history, viticulture and winemaking have been influenced by the cultures that have been present in Provence, which include the Ancient Greeks, Romans, Gauls, Catalans and Savoyards. These diverse groups introduced a large variety of grapes to the region, including grape varieties of Greek and Roman origin as well as Spanish, Italian and traditional French wine grapes.[1]

Provence

The picturesque southern French region of Provence on the Côte d’Azur is famous for its rosé wines, sunshine and glamour.

Bordered by the Mediterranean, it is home to towns and cities such as Bandol, Cassis and Marseille.

Grapes

The primary grapes used for the production of rosé and red wines are Mourvèdre, Syrah, Grenache, Cinsault, Carignan and Cabernet Sauvignon.

Ugni Blanc, Rolle, Semillon and Clairette are used for white wines.

The region is known predominantly for its rosé, which accounts for nearly 75% of wine production.

Bandol produces the region’s most highly-regarded reds, while the only area known for its white wines is Cassis.

There are three main appellations in the region:
• Côte de Provence
• Coteaux d’Aix-en-Provence
• Coteaux Varois en Provence

The climate here is hot, sunny and dry with little rain, and the brisk mistral wind helps to ripen the grapes quickly.

There are different soil types throughout the region: In the northwest there are rocky hogbacks sculpted by erosion. In the east there is crystalline rock near the sea. 

Read more at https://www.decanter.com/wine/wine-regions/provence/#KUoR489yBD8XHQjg.99

Edited by Atonchia
Edit photo
  • Praise 1

This site do offer some good wines and they are reliable. They have 13% discount for all their wines now, Christmas is  approaching fast, follow by new year and CNY around the corner, mai tu liao . I no  collect commission. 

https://www.millesima.sg/

• Praise 3

During the CCB period, majority WFH also done at home. 

Many are using this period to pamper ourselves with good and wine pairings. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/food/wine-sales-soar-in-circuit-breaker-period%3famp

More people are turning to wine to while away the time at home as distributors, online retailers and supermarkets report spikes in wine sales.

A spokesman from FairPrice says: "We have seen the demand for wines increase by more than 50 per cent compared with the same period last year."

Popular varieties at FairPrice include red, white, sparkling, Japanese and Chinese wines.

More people are turning to wine to while away the time at home as distributors, online retailers and supermarkets report spikes in wine sales.

A spokesman from FairPrice says: "We have seen the demand for wines increase by more than 50 per cent compared with the same period last year."

Popular varieties at FairPrice include red, white, sparkling, Japanese and Chinese wines

At Cold Storage, there was an "initial increase from when the work-from-home measures were announced, as customers started moving away from drinking and dining at restaurants and bars", says Ms Fiona Stephens, 39, Dairy Farm South-east Asia's regional merchandise manager for beer, wine and spirits. "We are now seeing more consistent growth as people settle into the circuit breaker."

During the circuit breaker period, bars and restaurants can offer only takeaways and deliveries.

Cold Storage has also seen an increase in customers picking up more premium wines from countries such as France, Australia and New Zealand.

"Champagne, prosecco, New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, full-bodied New World reds, Chardonnay, Pinot Noirs from the Old and New World, along with Rioja, are also sought after," Ms Stephens adds.

Both supermarket chains are preparing for growing demand as there are still almost six weeks of the circuit breaker to go.

FairPrice says it will continue to "monitor the market and source from various suppliers and from several countries to ensure we offer products at competitive prices".

Meanwhile, Cold Storage has brought forward shipments. It has always been sourcing more than 70 per cent of its wines directly from wineries "so as to pass on the savings to our customers", Ms Stephens says.

Smaller home-grown players such as leading wine importer The Straits Wine Company have seen a 35 per cent spike in retail sales, mainly due to online purchases and home deliveries.

On-trade sales, in contrast, have plummeted with restaurant closures.

Mr Patrick Sng, group chief executive officer of Straits Wine Group, says: "The average expenditure has gone up by about 30 per cent, to around $200, during the circuit breaker period."

Like at the supermarkets, premium red wines are moving, as are white and sparkling wines.

"We suspect people could be starting their drinks earlier in the day," says Mr Sng, who is in his late 40s.

"Since people are cooking and dining at home a lot more, we see more home chefs trying food and wine pairings. Wines that pair easily with day-to-day meals like a Chardonnay, a lighter-style Cabernet Sauvignon, even a Brunello are popular."

The company has rolled out a series of campaigns on its social media platforms, with suggestions for wine pairings with local foods.

For instance, a Brunello di Montalcino from Tuscan winery Fanti goes well with dry beef hor fun, lamb briyani or beef rendang; and a heavier Pinot Noir from New Zealand winery Carrick will go with sio bak (roast pork belly) or Peking duck.

Smaller companies with private clients like Pinnacle Wine & Spirits, as well as ST Wine, which curates wines for readers of The Straits Times, Lianhe Zaobao and The Business Times, have also seen increased interest and sales.

Pinnacle's business manager Caleb Wong, 32, says customers are willing to spend anything from $400 to $1,000 an order.

More customers are also trying new styles and wine-producing regions like Lebanon.

"We have seen a growing trend for wines that are off-the-beaten track. For instance, we have received a lot of inquiries on social media for Chateau Musar, a Lebanese wine we represent," Mr Wong says.

Among those who have stocked up their wine cellar is software company founder Ng Ban Loo, 49, who saw his spending on wines go up by half when the circuit breaker kicked in.

Now that only online deliveries are allowed, the regular customer of The Straits Wine Company says he is forking out $300 to $400 each time. He used to pick up the wines from the outlet nearest his home.

And since he is spending so much time at home, he now goes through 11/2 bottles daily.

Lawyer Chan Hock Sen, 62, noticed a few bargains on ST Wine recently and paid $400 for a case of a dozen bottles.

And, yes, he has been drinking a lot more too.

"It's rewarding yourself for not being able to go out," he says.

"Now that there's nothing much to do, it's a treat at the end of the day."

• Praise 2

Though I have exerise more regularly now,

I have also been drinking more frequently for my dinner. 😅

I suggest those of us who can enjoy wines regularly. 

Please also donate all, if not a portion of the Gov transferred $600 to the charity. 

Cheers 🍷

• Praise 2

Hi fellow bros, thinking of gifting 2 bottles of wines for a vendor cum supplier. Budget is about a 100 bucks per bottle. I know it is not much but is just some thoughts for the holiday season. Any recommendations? As in shop and brand? Tyty..noob in wines cos i seldom touch alcohol..

I try not to go ntuc lah..lol

Edited by Kyrios

7 minutes ago, Kyrios said:

Hi fellow bros, thinking of gifting 2 bottles of wines for a vendor cum supplier. Budget is about a 100 bucks per bottle. I know it is not much but is just some thoughts for the holiday season. Any recommendations? As in shop and brand? Tyty..noob in wines cos i seldom touch alcohol..

Cold Storage then.

1. Wine Connection;

2. Crystal Wines

• Praise 2

59 minutes ago, Kyrios said:

Singapore syndrome - the higher the price the better the product.

I wonder if that's how you see your vendor/suppliers sales to you.

Sorry to be rude but are you sure he could tell the difference between a S$30 bottle and a S$100 bottle of wine.

Or do you intend leaving the price sticker on.  He'll prolly pour 50% wine 50% coke in each glass.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1