8th Gen Toyota Camry (XV70)

inlinesix

4 hours ago, yellowshaun said:

Cause launched during the high COE years.. and 4 speed AT eeyeer!

Reliable can liao. 2 speed At they also can accept

Anyway vios r always no vfm no matter when

↡ Advertisement

On 5/11/2021 at 12:06 PM, t0y0ta said:

For 175k, obviously no one would be buying a camry lah.

A5 is around 175k

Camry from PI should be around 130-140

My point exactly....... 

Other than famous for being reliable and low maintenance, I don't see any reason of getting a Camry at this price point. 

Before anyone starts flaming me, i am currently driving a japanese salon car also..... 

36 minutes ago, Themman said:

My point exactly....... 

Other than famous for being reliable and low maintenance, I don't see any reason of getting a Camry at this price point. 

Before anyone starts flaming me, i am currently driving a japanese salon car also..... 

If you talking about PI Camry, there are many many reasons to get it beside being reliable and low maintenance.

It is frugal, powerful, very quiet cabin, very good chassis and suspension that allows to cup corners at higher speed, very low CG,  very comfortable seats, very spacious with plenty of space, very huge frontal with modern wavy lines, the list goes on and on lah. It is not a towkay car in the past for nothing. Its most worthy rival, the Honda Accord, is being sold at very high price under AD, so no competitors effectively. Mazda 6 is 0.5 class lower imho.

@Heartlander You are right. PI Camry is a good car. Guess the thing that puts people off is the 2500cc road tax. For luxury saloon (excluding contis) Mazda 6 comes very close. It's interior could be better .just that the FC will be higher . People said these 2 cars cannot be compared but I think why not? 

7 hours ago, Tlks said:

@Heartlander You are right. PI Camry is a good car. Guess the thing that puts people off is the 2500cc road tax. For luxury saloon (excluding contis) Mazda 6 comes very close. It's interior could be better .just that the FC will be higher . People said these 2 cars cannot be compared but I think why not? 

FC higher will be an understatement. It should be FC a lot higher for Mazda 6. 

I am driving one Camry Hybrid Ascent and easily clocking an average FC of 23 KM/Litre. Where I used to pump every 6 days for 52 Litres of petrol, these days I pumped 42 Litres in every 12 - 14 days. 

• Praise 1

51 minutes ago, 209752648026519 said:

FC higher will be an understatement. It should be FC a lot higher for Mazda 6

I am driving one Camry Hybrid Ascent and easily clocking an average FC of 23 KM/Litre. Where I used to pump every 6 days for 52 Litres of petrol, these days I pumped 42 Litres in every 12 - 14 days. 

Hybrid technology does wonder. My old Camry 2.4 used to return 9km per litre

1 hour ago, 209752648026519 said:

FC higher will be an understatement. It should be FC a lot higher for Mazda 6

That is fantastic. My wife is getting about 17km/L consistently with bo chap driving attitude. Previously she clocking about 9km/L with B180 with same driving pattern. She is very happy that nowadays she need to pump petrol every 2 weeks instead of every week. And this car is miles ahead in terms of driving comfort and space , only badge is not that good lah.

I frankly do not like sedan as typically too boxy but still very seduced by this Camry. The handling is especially superb as it can cup corner at higher speed than I would normally try and yet never feel in danger of out of control. Chassis taken from Lexus ES series leh. It really swallow humps and imperfection on the roads much like a magic carpet ride. My Steppie really ride like a lorry in comparison haha. 

2 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

I frankly do not like sedan as typically too boxy but still very seduced by this Camry. The handling is especially superb as it can cup corner at higher speed than I would normally try and yet never feel in danger of out of control. Chassis taken from Lexus ES series leh. It really swallow humps and imperfection on the roads much like a magic carpet ride. My Steppie really ride like a lorry in comparison haha. 

Both Camry and ES share the same TNGA-K.

It is not taken from ES.

• Praise 2

9 hours ago, Tlks said:

Let me address the 2500cc road tax part.

Annual road tax at 2500cc hybrid = $1792

Assuming you clock 20,000km/yr as a typical car owner.

With RON95 petrol at $2.35/L, every year it cost: $4700  if Camry FC=10km/L

If you current car is 2000cc petrol and FC is 10km/L, then for your new Camry the difference would be: ($1792-$1200) + ($4700-$4700) = $592 higher every year

With RON95 petrol at $2.35/L, every year it cost: $3133  if Camry FC=15km/L

If you current car is 2000cc petrol and FC is 10km/L, then for your new Camry the difference would be: ($1792-$1200) + ($3133-$4700) = $975 lower every year

With RON95 petrol at $2.35/L, every year it cost: $2350  if Camry FC=20km/L

If you current car is 2000cc petrol and FC is 10km/L, then for your new Camry the difference would be: ($1792-$1200) + ($2350-$4700) = $1758 lower every year

So the new Camry hybrid will help you save despite the higher road tax due to engine capacity. So this road tax thingy is not an issue if you think in totality.

If talking about car cost, Camry Hybrid is sold just slightly cheaper than Harrier Hybrid in Japan.

If you look at Harrier Hybrid pricing from Borneo Motor, it is at $182k upwards. So you can expect Camry Hybrid from BM to be about $170k when available. 

But for now, PI Camry Hrbrid is sold at about $145k --> diff of $25k which is quite abit of savings.

@209752648026519 I got a friend driving a 6. 2.0 L. He said his driving is about 90/10 city. Returning AVE of 16-17km /L. 

Btw, for your Camry hybrid battery, what is the life span ? 

8 hours ago, Heartlander said:

If talking about car cost, Camry Hybrid is sold just slightly cheaper than Harrier Hybrid in Japan.

If you look at Harrier Hybrid pricing from Borneo Motor, it is at $182k upwards. So you can expect Camry Hybrid from BM to be about $170k when available. 

But for now, PI Camry Hrbrid is sold at about $145k --> diff of $25k which is quite abit of savings.

The 2.5l na MIT Camry from BM is already $181888 

Twincharged
2 hours ago, Tlks said:

@209752648026519 I got a friend driving a 6. 2.0 L. He said his driving is about 90/10 city. Returning AVE of 16-17km /L. 

Your Friend is a Doctor.?

14 hours ago, Tlks said:

Mine is 80/20 city and averages around 25+ KM/L over two weeks. Clock around 1100 KM over 42 litres of petrol. 

For Camry Hybrid life span, I don't know yet as mine was like less than 1/2 year old. Anyway, there are dealers out there, including BM, offering 10 years battery warranty so I think it's a safe bet. Even if suay suay need to replace battery, current market price is 2 to 3 K which is quite acceptable in my own opinion. 

• Praise 1

15 hours ago, Tlks said:

There's another thread comparing Mazda 6 and Camry. Maybe u can bring this up there instead. 

Have gone for a test drive and SE did share that the Mazda gets to about 10-12km per litre for mixed driving, very typical for NA engines. If 90 percent hw, I guess 16 is very possible too but so do most saloon cars out there. A hybrid, not limited to the Camry, can even hit 25-beyond 30 with 90% highway though. Just speak to those grab drivers on the prius.

• Praise 2