8th Gen Toyota Camry (XV70)

inlinesix

I am surprised by BM using a sub-standard 7" aftermarket infotainment display for its variant, which seems same for both grades from the brochure. In Japan the facelifted Camry comes with standard 9"display across all variants. Looking at the pictures below you will see the difference. Even its pre-facelift Camry come with bigger screen.

And the difference between the Standard and Elegance grade can be seen from the last picture. There are quite a number of differences, most notably the body-kit, blind-spot detection, ventilated front seats, leather seats and auto steering wheel adjustment, dual chrome exhaust tips, powered front seat adjustment, scuff plates. Whether sll these add up to $16k is subjective lah.

1757166600_CamryBM12935_g11_b.jpg.d063a0c2a8f425e444b30000163a8a84.jpg

2062958231_CamryPI12935_g11_b.jpg.1f91364cf34074bb4d3630b5944dcf4e.jpg

820697631_CamryBMPreFacedlift12935_g11_b.jpg.36fde860d191148f3d607467cb13152f.jpg

image.thumb.png.655908a70f5813163fa81de934d03445.png

↡ Advertisement

12 minutes ago, Invigorated said:

Have seen this posting on sgcarmart and i have to say the previous model looks pretty good with some enhancements to make it look more integrated. It seems to me that the owner has leather-wrapped much of the interior and some of the dash too.

Lexus-like headlights and rear ones too with bodykit. i wonder how much the previous owner has spent on it. I am not affiliated, just sharing. The basic one is spartan but with another 2-3k budget to enhance it, should dress up quite nicely.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

if not wrong, this shd be the TRD version from Toyota, instead of being modded by owner. The front blacked out logo and new grill were all part of this version. TRD = tpyota racing dev which was previously more focused on off road vehicles.  my limited info comes from some recent youtube videos seen ... 

(edited)

46 minutes ago, hansmith said:

@Heartlander This kind of layout, looks like 2018-2019 car to me. Not 2021.

You are right because the car debutted globally in 2017 and locally in 2019, just underwent a minor facelift this Feb which retain most design points and features. But that is what it is, all the cars in the market are not debutted this year, some even earlier. Btw the pre-2017 Camry cabin design is like below. You like this more?

11711_g13_b.jpg

Edited by Heartlander

(edited)

@Heartlander I just checked the Camry at Borneo motors. The interior and quality wise pretty much same as pre-facelift model. The 7 inch touch screen that is on most their models from Borneo motors looks cheap. Before facelift, the center console looks clean and well integrated. This facelift model makes the console looks like an afterthought. The air con vents of the pre-facelift location was blanked off by a plastic piece. It just doesn't look well sorted out compare to pre-facelift model.

Edited by Heartbreakid
  • Praise 2

2 hours ago, Heartlander said:

I am surprised by BM using a sub-standard 7" aftermarket infotainment display for its variant, which seems same for both grades from the brochure. In Japan the facelifted Camry comes with standard 9"display across all variants. Looking at the pictures below you will see the difference. Even its pre-facelift Camry come with bigger screen.

And the difference between the Standard and Elegance grade can be seen from the last picture. There are quite a number of differences, most notably the body-kit, blind-spot detection, ventilated front seats, leather seats and auto steering wheel adjustment, dual chrome exhaust tips, powered front seat adjustment, scuff plates. Whether sll these add up to $16k is subjective lah.

1757166600_CamryBM12935_g11_b.jpg.d063a0c2a8f425e444b30000163a8a84.jpg

2062958231_CamryPI12935_g11_b.jpg.1f91364cf34074bb4d3630b5944dcf4e.jpg

820697631_CamryBMPreFacedlift12935_g11_b.jpg.36fde860d191148f3d607467cb13152f.jpg

image.thumb.png.655908a70f5813163fa81de934d03445.png

The PI camry screen (yes just the screen size) is actually 7 inch as well, which is the same as BM models, but it feels less cheap than BM models. Indeed the pre-lift models have bigger screens. 

Twincharged
58 minutes ago, Heartbreakid said:

The PI camry screen (yes just the screen size) is actually 7 inch as well, which is the same as BM models, but it feels less cheap than BM models. Indeed the pre-lift models have bigger screens. 

I thought is 9".?

58 minutes ago, Heartbreakid said:

Correction to my statement. I was looking at the Ascent (standard) which has the 7" screen (but looks better than BM ones). The Ascent sport has the 9" screen which definitely looks better.

3 minutes ago, Heartbreakid said:

Correction to my statement. I was looking at the Ascent (standard) which has the 7" screen (but looks better than BM ones). The Ascent sport has the 9" screen which definitely looks better.

The pre-facelift Ascent Sport is actually 8" lah.

• Praise 1

6 hours ago, Gz0707 said:

Have seen the BM version over the weekend - was not impressed ... the standard or basic version had mismatched local black leather seats paired with a beige interior.  the head unit looked cheap and almost ready for new owner to swap out.  The better elegant version sitting in the showroom looks better with factory fitted leather.  it's almost like BM wants to test how badly customers want an AD version with stripped down specs and lower pricing.  At over 130k, I think they are really pushing their luck. 

I highly doubt the leather seats for the Camry 2.5L hybrid elegance variant at BM are factory fitted. 

If they were indeed factory fitted, it would be stated in the brochure.

Twincharged
4 minutes ago, noobcarbuyer said:

I highly doubt the leather seats for the Camry 2.5L hybrid elegance variant at BM are factory fitted. 

If they were indeed factory fitted, it would be stated in the brochure.

Most likely is Local Fitted..because even my P.I. "SL" Model..cannot choose Coloured Leather..it is also not full Leather..

(edited)

@Heartlander This is more in line for 2021 ($100k car). 

50409615743_50c8525f81_o.jpg

The Corolla and Camry's dashboard layout is dated. For people who do their research, i am not sure who will buy the camry. Toyota perhaps has been resting on its laurels for too long. Car design is not there and price is higher than competitors for equivalent cars.

Higher up at the entry level luxury segment, we get.

20210223020209_Mercedes_Benz_A_class_Lim

Edited by hansmith

1 hour ago, hansmith said:

The Corolla and Camry's dashboard layout is dated. For people who do their research, i am not sure who will buy the camry. Toyota perhaps has been resting on its laurels for too long. Car design is not there and price is higher than competitors for equivalent cars.

Looking at the number of Camrys on the road, there are still many who will go for more than just interior design. You are right that if you compare to even a mazda 6, the interior quality is up a notch on the Mazda. But.. it isn't too bad. As they say, beauty isn't just skin deep. 

Anyway, it's probably better than the precious generations but not comparable to the very upmarket designs. I'm not sure why Toyota doesn't put in more effort to make the design very upmarket, perhaps it's not to cannibalise their own lexus brand. Certainly, they have the capacity but there are other reasons why they may choose not to do so. 

I'm not a fan of the Hyundai design to be honest as there are hard plastics almost everywhere and the design isn't do seamless. But it's just me and to each his own and I can see how u may dislike the Camry interior.

Just look at the Toyota Avalon that we don't have here and we can tell that it's a matter of choice that Toyota chooses the Camry for the Asia market. Having the Avalon will knock sales of a lexus.

2020_Toyota_Avalon_Hybrid_20.jpg

• Praise 2

(edited)

@noobcarbuyer You reminded me of my experience with the Corolla Altis. BM's MIT Altis' door panel is laid with soft touch plastic. However, PI's MIJ Corolla meant for the Australian market is laid with hard plastic although the design of both door panels are the same.

I was very surprised at such differentiation across markets.

Edited by Shouyi

2 hours ago, hansmith said:

Korean cars indeed shining inside. But after test drive both, I picked camry for the power and smoothness. 

Only complain so far is the lack of USB sockets in car. 

31 minutes ago, Shouyi said:

@noobcarbuyer You reminded me of my experience with the Corolla Altis. BM's MIT Altis' door panel is laid with soft touch plastic. However, PI's MIJ Corolla meant for the Australian market is laid with hard plastic although the design of both door panels are the same.

I was very surprised at such differentiation across markets.

Yes that was the exact feeling I got when I sat on the new facelifted MIJ Camry elegance variant at the BM Leng Kee branch.

Hard plastic everywhere and you see that the leather and much of the accessories are locally fitted. 

Very jarring considering that the BM MIT pre-facelift Camry's interior was a lot more premium and well integrated. 

↡ Advertisement