8th Gen Toyota Camry (XV70)

inlinesix

looks like Toyota still stick on NA and Hybrid,

totally opposite the direction of Conti's turbo-charged

Probably will stay that way for awhile since nothing wrong with NA & Hybrid if it can combine efficiency with performance, which is what the new Dynamic Force engine is doing.

• Praise 3

What do the american consumers want? This is a car that is still the best selling executive sedan in the US market.

Toyota's hybrid tech is quite mature. The camry still has V6 in USA (though the accord has went to 2.0T only).

The camry 2.4L or hybrid has decent enough numbers for their average user (about a 8+ second 0-100 or slightly faster in the hybrid)

Subaru ditched the forester XT in this generation, cos it's not what their consumers wanted. Their buyers all went for the 2.5L NA.

• Praise 2

After creating an old thread nearly 2 years ago for this Camry, good to see some progress. 

I will post a redirect on the old thread.

Looks like Toyota's Thailand factory took a long time tooling for this new Camry, since in the meantime the related new Lexus ES250/300h that launched after the Camry, is already on sale in Singapore today.

Looking forward to more new Camrys on the road other than the PI ones.

More information on the original forum for reading: http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2704135-2017-toyota-camry/?do=findComment&comment=6026437

Edited by Gemmoglock
  • Praise 5

Hopefully with this later introduction of the latest Camry, Toyota can address some shortcomings of this Camry. Primarily the intrusion of water into the right side of the engine compartment through the top of the strut tower and portion of what seems to be a design flaw of the front wheel arch inner cover, which Taiwan and China owners have already reported dirty engine bay on the right side with mud, dirt stains.

• Praise 2

Merc/BMW is moving towards Plug-in hybrid vehicles.  In fact, BMW has been producing EV some years.

Meanwhile, Toyota has not show any EV yet.

Foresee it to be launch in Singapore by mid 2019.

Its a uncle car. Still is.

Next........

Oh, me also a uncle. Aiya...... :sick:

The new design is less uncle. 

Already launched in HK and China few months ago, running the older (AR series) 2.5l engine with 6speed, instead of the new Dynamic Force 2.5+8speed in USA.

Chances are we will also get the old engine combo.

• Praise 1

Personally, I think Hybrid is the way to go instead of EV. EV basically just transfer the pollution to the power station instead of letting cars running around and emitt gases. This is only good for poor air quality cities,i.e. China or India trying to cut the city's air pollution as the pollution will be limited to the power stations.

Hybrid, basically is a self charging system and this is a much more efficient and effective way than how EV charges through charging ports. Hybrid while efficient as they are, can provide performance like light turbo chargers do. Hence it is the best of both worlds since hybrid is a mature and improved technology in this era.

No turbocharging means simple maintenance and more reliability in the long run.

• Praise 1

Personally, I think Hybrid is the way to go instead of EV. EV basically just transfer the pollution to the power station instead of letting cars running around and emitt gases. This is only good for poor air quality cities,i.e. China or India trying to cut the city's air pollution as the pollution will be limited to the power stations.

Hybrid, basically is a self charging system and this is a much more efficient and effective way than how EV charges through charging ports. Hybrid while efficient as they are, can provide performance like light turbo chargers do. Hence it is the best of both worlds since hybrid is a mature and improved technology in this era.

Ya agreed Hybrid a better choice n also less troublesome for build up cities like ours where charging points are a premium.

• Praise 7

Foresee it to be launch in Singapore by mid 2019.

The new design is less uncle. 

Simi? means new camry launch next year? not Dec 2018 ? 

• Praise 2

Ya agreed Hybrid a better choice n also less troublesome for build up cities like ours where charging points are a premium.

EV is better for small cities like ours.  The only problem is MIW.

In a lot of European cities, ICE vehicles is no longer allow in inner city.

Hybrid is not self charging system.  It is having 2 different system in the car.

What you meant is REx.

By 2050, no new sales of ICE vehicles.

What so complicated about turbocharging?

Hybrid is not self charging system. It is having 2 different system in the car.

What you meant is REx.

By 2050, no new sales of ICE vehicles.

What so complicated about turbocharging?

My term of self charging is, by releasing the accelerator or braking, the hybrid system is able to "self recharged" or a more correct term is "regeneration of energy" unless the battery is fully depleted.

Turbo-charging vs N.A. setup (which Hybrid is lias with). First is heat, second is more components, third is more wear and tear and hence more maintenance in terms of long term reliabilty? Hence the complication.

Edited by Heartbreakid
  • Praise 2

Merc/BMW is moving towards Plug-in hybrid vehicles.  In fact, BMW has been producing EV some years.

Meanwhile, Toyota has not show any EV yet.

Toyota has had a committee looking at it since 2016 and just formed a new working group to speed things up.

They have not mass produced an EV as they are working on solid state batteries, which are harder to engineer than lithium ion but have much more energy density and other useful characteristics. Pardon my lack of sources, articles have been coming from Toyota's Newsroom site and sites like Caradvice over the past months.

Although not confirmed, I'm expecting some Toyota know-how in both BMW's EVs and PHEVs from their collaboration agreement. Last I read they consulted closely on electric motor design. Toyota also collaborates on hydrogen cell tech, as well as the upcoming Supra with BMW.

Let's see how things go, latest news is Dyson is also going to do electric cars, manufactured in Singapore! See CNA. 

Toyota is either the first mover or a conservative mover. Just like how they did hybrid way before anyone else, but took forever to move away from nickel metal hydride batteries. Since they already lost first mover advantage to Tesla, I think they are taking a conservative approach and trying to go for the next-gen battery tech.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1