8th Gen Toyota Camry (XV70)

inlinesix

34 minutes ago, Hotnyh said:

Hi CF, the base one has the 7' screen. The Sport has the 8" and their G model has the old engine (as per Malaysian model 170+hp and 6 speeder). Borneo has the proper Dynamic Force 2.5L engine with the new 8 speed box (which has had some negative press in the USA for being hesitant). The G model has a big hole for a 3rd party head unit (Pioneer usually). Yep, mine has the obiang face haha

Doesn't seem to make sense to get the G model with the old engine..

G model=JDM Camry hybrid. How could that be using the old 2.5L Dual VVTi? 

↡ Advertisement

10 minutes ago, Cheefarn said:

G model=JDM Camry hybrid. How could that be using the old 2.5L Dual VVTi? 

Well if you look at the specs of the Camry G listed by Vincar, it clearly says it is less powerful than the Ascent and Ascent Sport (the Aussie models). And it says it has a 6 speeder tranny. Maybe someone made a mistake. I only noticed this 2 days ago. 

• Haha! 1

Test drove the 2.5L in Borneo Motor yesterday.... Personally, felt the car very underpowered.  I need to step hard on the accelerator to make the car move briskly and it is loud if stepped hard.  Although the car is rated at 201bhp.  The price was like 8K off the list price for ex-stock if conditions are met.  Quite impressed with the overall fit and finish of the interior and comfortable spacious.  Great improvement on the interior from the old Toyotas which  I had a problem especially with the zig zag gear shift. Should have the 360 deg camera as standard. 

Went over to see the PI Camry Hybrid at the Automart.  The dealers I visited quoted the G model close to the one from BM.   

• Praise 1

I didn't try out the Borneo model as the price was just way above my budget. Coming from a XV40 2L, the hybrid is much more powerful and comfortable to drive. I guess it could be due to what you are used to. If moving from a turbo vehicle I think it will might feel weak even with the electric assist. 

Edited by Hotnyh

On 10/22/2019 at 4:49 PM, Hotnyh said:

Well if you look at the specs of the Camry G listed by Vincar, it clearly says it is less powerful than the Ascent and Ascent Sport (the Aussie models). And it says it has a 6 speeder tranny. Maybe someone made a mistake. I only noticed this 2 days ago. 

I've highlighted this to them. It has to be a mistake. 

On 10/23/2019 at 4:45 PM, Hotnyh said:

I didn't try out the Borneo model as the price was just way above my budget. Coming from a XV40 2L, the hybrid is much more powerful and comfortable to drive. I guess it could be due to what you are used to. If moving from a turbo vehicle I think it will might feel weak even with the electric assist. 

PSA: Borneo has asked for top-up

According to SE, Borneo Motors has not asked for top up since 2016. This is now October 2019.

Ordered in July when COE price was S$26.7k; recent round was S$32.3k. Borneo asked us to top up. Gave us the option of either topping up S$2k (non-guaranteed) or waiting another few months. Apparently Borneo is only willing to bid S$27k.

Thought I should share this because when I bought the car, I tried looking up Borneo's call history online. Could not find so relied on SE who told me no need to buy guaranteed as no chance of top up.

Pretty annoyed because I checked with our SEs from Honda, Nissan, Kia, Hyundai, Suzuki - apparently all their customers got their cars.

TLDR: Borneo sucks. Should have bought a Hyundai!

Hmm my friend booked a Vios at the recent roadshow a month back. They were offering a $10k  discount on it and the Altis I think. Of course the COE went up the last 2 rounds and she failed to get her COE. It was non-guaranteed of course. 

After the 1st failed bid they asked her and her hubby to top up $2k. They didn't and didn't get the COE with the 2nd bidding. They then said top up $4K to secure the COE. By this time they were getting a bit desperate as their old car was about to hit the 10 year mark and they might be car-less. After some negotiating they topped up $2k and succeeded on the 3rd bid. I think BM will get the COE eventually but their sales team read the COE trend wrong and put out untenable prices.

Kudos to my PI who gave me a guaranteed 1 bid COE. Got it even though COE spiked $4k.

Edited by Hotnyh
  • Praise 1

54 minutes ago, fkborneo said:

PSA: Borneo has asked for top-up

According to SE, Borneo Motors has not asked for top up since 2016. This is now October 2019.

Ordered in July when COE price was S$26.7k; recent round was S$32.3k. Borneo asked us to top up. Gave us the option of either topping up S$2k (non-guaranteed) or waiting another few months. Apparently Borneo is only willing to bid S$27k.

Thought I should share this because when I bought the car, I tried looking up Borneo's call history online. Could not find so relied on SE who told me no need to buy guaranteed as no chance of top up.

Pretty annoyed because I checked with our SEs from Honda, Nissan, Kia, Hyundai, Suzuki - apparently all their customers got their cars.

TLDR: Borneo sucks. Should have bought a Hyundai!

Borneo only willing to bid cat B coe for 27k, and TOP up 2k and yet still non guaranteed? 

Edited by Terence2112

On 10/23/2019 at 5:03 PM, Hotnyh said:

I've highlighted this to them. It has to be a mistake. 

Aussie and Malaysia petrol camrys use the old AR 2.5l Dual VVTi engine.

Only Thailand camry uses the new 2.5l Dynamic Force engine.

20 hours ago, t0y0ta said:

Aussie and Malaysia petrol camrys use the old AR 2.5l Dual VVTi engine.

Only Thailand camry uses the new 2.5l Dynamic Force engine.

Really? I thought all the new Camrys use the new dynamic force 2.5L

so, confirm the Aussie Ascent Sport is using the old engine?

• Praise 1

25 minutes ago, Theoldjaffa said:

Really? I thought all the new Camrys use the new dynamic force 2.5L

so, confirm the Aussie Ascent Sport is using the old engine?

74EA7DC5-6B6F-4AC1-84F2-3B283C90BEFA.png

• Praise 2

22 hours ago, Terence2112 said:

Borneo only willing to bid cat B coe for 27k, and TOP up 2k and yet still non guaranteed? 

He booked at lowest ever 27k COE, meaning cat A.

He either booked Altis or Vios. 

He has been putting the same post in every toyota related thread to vent his anger.

My take on his situation is that Borneo probably sold him at very minimal margin to clear stock but COE skyrocket after that and they decided not to do negative margin business at the expense of incurring customer dissatisfaction.

On 10/2/2019 at 12:00 PM, Hotnyh said:

I am going to meet someone from Vincar in a few days. Referred to him by some family member who has kang tow with them. Will check out the G spec but I understand it is significantly more expensive (though still a lot cheaper than Borneo's). May not be worth the difference for some cosmetic improvements but we shall see. Besides I think I prefer the sports model grill to the huge long strakes of the standard Camry.

LOL in my current COE Camry 2.0 I end up road hogging without needing an EV mode.

How is the resale value of the coe camry? Is it just the coe rebate?

COE cars have almost no value beyond paper value. Depending on the condition of the car they might give a little above the paper value.i got about 1k more. Same happened when I approached an authorised dealer (diff brand). I suppose u might get more if u were buying from a Conti dealer.

3 hours ago, Hotnyh said:

COE cars have almost no value beyond paper value. Depending on the condition of the car they might give a little above the paper value.i got about 1k more. Same happened when I approached an authorised dealer (diff brand). I suppose u might get more if u were buying from a Conti dealer.

I see. But the parf forgone can be quite substantial for higher omv cars. I think camry is around 12-14k parf forgone. 

On 10/27/2019 at 9:01 AM, camrysfe said:

I see. But the parf forgone can be quite substantial for higher omv cars. I think camry is around 12-14k parf forgone. 

Yes u r right

to future car buyers, i hope you do not find yourselves in the same unenviable position as i do. 

3 months ago, when car prices were low, i made the huge mistake of choosing to go with a toyota under borneo motors, instead of some other make/model. i was told by the SE "sure get - don't need to buy guaranteed". tried looking for top-up call history then but none was available online. i am now committing this/the above to internet history for the benefit of all future buyers. 

in just the past few days, since starting this thread and commenting on a number of others, both here and in mycarforum, i can now say that the SE was wrong and that borneo has a history of asking for top-ups all the time. people have come out the woodwork to say borneo asked for topups in 2017, 2018, 2019 and as recently as just last week and over the past 3 months (me). 

buying a car is alot like investing - there is a strike price that each person considers to be a good entry for them. however, that is only 1 part of the equation - the other part is your executing banker/broker/SE. no point spotting the right price but not being able to execute. in my case, my SEs from all the other car brands could execute (i checked) - only borneo could not deliver. thankfully, like many car owners, this is not my only car and i can afford to wait for the next dip in the cycle.

this was my first time dealing with borneo (as many threads note, their prices/offerings have been uncompetitive for years). this will also be my last time.

TLDR: if you are looking to buy a toyota from borneo, and are wondering about their top up history - it's really bad. u r better off elsewhere. i missed my chance thanks to them. i hope you don't miss yours!

EDIT: i just want to clarify that coe prices have not climbed astronomically since i signed the sales agreement; the difference at signing and some of the bids is just S$4k-6k. so take note that if u choose to buy a toyota/borneo (don't), ur non-guaranteed contract is pretty much contingent on coe prices remaining the same or dropping, with no threshold for increase (unlike other makes/models). this has nothing to do with their profit margins being low; it just means they want to maintain a certain (fat) margin.

Edited by fkborneo
↡ Advertisement
  • Dislike 1