8th Gen Toyota Camry (XV70)

inlinesix

(edited)
13 minutes ago, GearingUp said:

@minty Yes, I got the same too at Alexandra.  pps = solar film?
The locally fitted "leather" offered on Standard version looks cheap. Any idea if we can do it ourselves?

PPS = Paint protection spray. There are quite a few workshops that can rewrap the leather for you.

Edited by Acegabz
↡ Advertisement

@GearingUp any idea how many years of warranty they are giving for the hybrid battery? I'm keen to take a look too but will maybe go on a weekday when it is not so crowded. Expect sales to move fast for this one. Many viewing over at Borneo on the weekend?

10 minutes ago, Invigorated said:

@GearingUp any idea how many years of warranty they are giving for the hybrid battery? I'm keen to take a look too but will maybe go on a weekday when it is not so crowded. Expect sales to move fast for this one. Many viewing over at Borneo on the weekend?

5Y

Just some of my personal findings. Toyota in China offers life time warranty for those batteries. 

You will find it almost impossible to claim warranty from BM. As those batteries does not die... It will become weaker and weaker, but still can run at lower efficiency only. 

Besides this, to whoever think the battery system is hard to maintain, it is a joke... All you have to do is to clean the battery filter every few months. That's it. 

• Praise 1

22 minutes ago, Yuning said:

Just some of my personal findings. Toyota in China offers life time warranty for those batteries. 

You will find it almost impossible to claim warranty from BM. As those batteries does not die... It will become weaker and weaker, but still can run at lower efficiency only. 

Besides this, to whoever think the battery system is hard to maintain, it is a joke... All you have to do is to clean the battery filter every few months. That's it. 

Anyway it cost only a few thousand dollars to replace the battery, if ever need at all as it is suppose to last about 10 years. To put into perspective, to replace the hybrid battery will cost less than 2 years of saving in fuels changing to this ride from a 2L NA car. My wife anyhow drive it never follow the proper hybrid way of driving also can get about 16km/L.

4 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

Give like no give like that.

Honda also give 5years warranty on their Jazz hybrid battery. Only Nissan gives 10years warranty on their e-power battery for Note n Kicks.

• Praise 5

(edited)

@Yuning 

53 minutes ago, Yuning said:

I guess Borneo motors has the numbers on how often batteries are being replaced within 5 years and I can probably predict that it's very low. Judging by the past posts on this forum too and usually replacements come in the 8-9th year. Spoke with a few phv and cab drivers and they praised the hybrid reliability, they don't even see any replacement even after 200k mileage. See PIs also offer warranty up to 200k mileage as they know claims are tough.

But it's still good to have, just that must factor possible replacement after 5 years.

Another issue is that you have to probably maintain servicing with BM in the 5 years and service will not be cheap. 

China may offer lifetime warranty probably because it's a very competitive market there with many similar offerings. Can't say the same for the Camry now as there is almost nothing in this price range as a hybrid mid size sedan competitor.

Accord is coming in at about 170k and the Mazda 6 pricing is close but isn't hybrid.

Edited by Invigorated

12 minutes ago, Spring said:

Honda also give 5years warranty on their Jazz hybrid battery. Only Nissan gives 10years warranty on their e-power battery for Note n Kicks.

Yah those that give 5 year warranty really lack sincerity since not likely to breakdown within 5 years. Is like the home appliances nowadays give 1 year warranty also like no give like that with reliability generally. I think with hybrid cars becoming more popular, can expect 5years warranty to become a norm soon.

• Praise 1

17 minutes ago, GearingUp said:

@Heartlander it's $2K top-up by end of 3rd-year to extend the battery warranty to 10 years...that's what BM is saying now.

It is like getting 50% discount for battery replacement if need to, else is extra profit. And earn more by locking the car owner to do servicings at BM workshops. Whichever way, huat ah!

• Haha! 1

10 hours ago, GearingUp said:

@Heartlander it's $2K top-up by end of 3rd-year to extend the battery warranty to 10 years...that's what BM is saying now.

Must see what is the T&C with the warranty. Some warranty will say only allowed to change if battery completely gone which doesn’t seem to be the case for hybrid batteries unlike normal batteries. They shld hv warranty if the health of the battery is below a certain % then it’s fair.

• Praise 4

46 minutes ago, Invigorated said:

I did some checks and the prices of hybrid battery replacement seem to have fallen over time. Prices from Stanford seem to be less than 2k for replacement battery and they offer a 2 year, 100k warranty. Not too shabby. May expect prices to go down further in future as hybrids get up to scale.

https://www.stamfordtyres.com/Retail/hybrid-battery-faq/

Like that those who buy the 2K extended warranty offer by BM seems a huge carrot to be chopped. If need to replace, they are the one paying for it. If no need to replace, they are giving the money for nothing. Very brilliant indeed.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

16 minutes ago, Hamburger said:

Changed ownership = warranty not covered?? 

Normally general warranty covers the car not the owner so even transfer ownership means warranty still intact so I assume battery warranty would hv the same T&C as general warranty.

• Praise 4

Note, Camry Hybrid is using Nickel-Metal Hydride batteries

i walked over to Lexus, and their ES same-same type, not the Lithium-Ion one...so I asked their SE, they say Lexus has 10 yrs warranty.

The older generation hybrid batteries didn’t last that long. I had a friend with 2nd-gen Prius, and he had to change on the 3rd year