8th Gen Toyota Camry (XV70)

inlinesix

(edited)
1 hour ago, Eth4nc said:

@Heartlander Your statement is so strange. It is like saying you buy life insurance, but you are chopped if you dont claim the insurance

I guess what he meant was that Borneo priced the hybrid battery replacement very high. It's unfair if you consider that you have to pay 2k for the warranty when the battery itself costs 2k to replace and even then, a replacement may not even be necessary in the 10 years of driving.

Overseas lithium ion powered  Prius mostly report replacements done for 150-200k miles, that's about 250k to 300k km. Even then, some don't even have to get it replaced. So Borneo stands to profit if most drivers don't replace and bearing in mind that the cost price to them is even lower.

Edited by Invigorated
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

6 hours ago, Invigorated said:

I did some checks and the prices of hybrid battery replacement seem to have fallen over time. Prices from Stanford seem to be less than 2k for replacement battery and they offer a 2 year, 100k warranty. Not too shabby. May expect prices to go down further in future as hybrids get up to scale.

https://www.stamfordtyres.com/Retail/hybrid-battery-faq/

5 hours ago, Heartlander said:

Like that those who buy the 2K extended warranty offer by BM seems a huge carrot to be chopped. If need to replace, they are the one paying for it. If no need to replace, they are giving the money for nothing. Very brilliant indeed.

Ya like that no need to pay $2k to extend BM hybrid battery warranty to 10 years ah if it just cost $2k to change...

(edited)

This is what I found on the website:

https://www.toyota.com.sg/my-toyota/warranty/toyota-shield-extended-warranty-plus

This is how i interpret it:

1st 3 years (or 100k km) - manufacturer's warranty. 

4th to 5th year - extended warranty by BM, FOC (Toyota Shield Extended Warranty)

6th Year onwards - extended warranty by BM, payable (Toyota Shield EW Plus), with some exclusions which includes the hybrid system.

So, for a hybrid, the batt is not covered even if you paid for the extra extended warranty.

The Toyota UK warranty called "Toyota Relax" is more comprehensive and reassuring. Every time you send the car back to AD for servicing, the warranty gets extended for 12 months, up to a total of 10 years. Hybrid batt warranty can be extended up to 15 years! You can thrash your GR Yaris at a circuit and it will still be covered under warranty. The UK importer is so super confident. 💪

https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/warranty/toyota-warranty

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 2

If you are considering a plug in, why not an EV instead?

EVs have the benefit of lesser maintenance and better efficiency. Toyota EVs should be on the horizon now that they have released the concept bz4x model. There's another thread on this too.

1400x-1.jpg

• Praise 2

Plug-in only makes sense if you plug-in everyday. If you don't charge up and run it like a normal hybrid, then you are carrying an extra 200-300kg of battery deadweight (equals to 4 full-size pax), resulting in blunted performance and worse FC then a conventional petrol driven car. 

• Praise 4

2nd Gear
1 hour ago, Invigorated said:

EVs have the benefit of lesser maintenance and better efficiency. Toyota EVs should be on the horizon now that they have released the concept bz4x model. There's another thread on this too.

1400x-1.jpg

👍

• Praise 3

Twincharged
On 7/5/2021 at 12:01 PM, GearingUp said:

Note, Camry Hybrid is using Nickel-Metal Hydride batteries

i walked over to Lexus, and their ES same-same type, not the Lithium-Ion one...so I asked their SE, they say Lexus has 10 yrs warranty.

The older generation hybrid batteries didn’t last that long. I had a friend with 2nd-gen Prius, and he had to change on the 3rd year

Actually it depends on how much you drive. Taxis and PHV seem to have their batteries last the longest probably due to the fact that the cars are always in used and the batteries get topped up. Those with short journeys or infrequent use seems to have the batteries deteriorate faster. 

• Praise 2

Twincharged
On 7/5/2021 at 5:35 PM, Toeknee_33 said:

https://www.toyota.com.sg/my-toyota/warranty/toyota-shield-extended-warranty-plus

4th to 5th year - extended warranty by BM, FOC (Toyota Shield Extended Warranty)

6th Year onwards - extended warranty by BM, payable (Toyota Shield EW Plus), with some exclusions which includes the hybrid system.

So, for a hybrid, the batt is not covered even if you paid for the extra extended warranty.

The Toyota UK warranty called "Toyota Relax" is more comprehensive and reassuring. Every time you send the car back to AD for servicing, the warranty gets extended for 12 months, up to a total of 10 years. Hybrid batt warranty can be extended up to 15 years! You can thrash your GR Yaris at a circuit and it will still be covered under warranty. The UK importer is so super confident. 💪

As usual consumer protection in Singapore sucks. 

• Praise 2

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Invigorated said:

1400x-1.jpg

Those who need plug in hybrid are the drive up Malaysia type. 

13 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Actually it depends on how much you drive. Taxis and PHV seem to have their batteries last the longest probably due to the fact that the cars are always in used and the batteries get topped up. Those with short journeys or infrequent use seems to have the batteries deteriorate faster. 

Sounds like the same for 12v battery 

🤣

• Praise 2

16 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Those who need plug in hybrid are the drive up Malaysia type. 

True that but also to note that today's EVs have a range of about 500km on a single charge and that's enough to get there one way and find another charging port there for the trip back. But if you do that daily, then yup plug-in definitely works better.

48 minutes ago, Invigorated said:

True that but also to note that today's EVs have a range of about 500km on a single charge and that's enough to get there one way and find another charging port there for the trip back. But if you do that daily, then yup plug-in definitely works better.

Unless the infra for charging is readily available both ways, else is xian by half whenever cannot find a charging station upon reaching. Live like that very stressful haha.

9 minutes ago, Heartlander said:

Unless the infra for charging is readily available both ways, else is xian by half whenever cannot find a charging station upon reaching. Live like that very stressful haha.

Yes planning is important for sure. But charging stations are sprouting everywhere in msia too, whether it's Ikea in johor or some popular shopping centres in KL, it's not that bad to be honest. They will eventually be mainstream too so it is a matter of time. Hybrids now are great now before that happens though.

(edited)
3 hours ago, Invigorated said:

Claimed range and actual range differ by about 30%. So actual range is probably 350km.

Kenna 2 hour traffic jam with aircon on, less another 50km (guestimate).

BEVs are not as efficient at high speed cruising compared to city driving, less another 15%.

At the end of the day, not much range left. Can barely reach KL. Might end up adding to the traffic woes there if you run out of juice in the middle of a traffic jam.

Like someone said, very stressful. No fun.

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 1

Supercharged
On 7/5/2021 at 5:35 PM, Toeknee_33 said:

Honestly the previous 10 year hybrid batt warranty by Borneo had requirement that need to service with them entire 10 years.

Probably cheaper to go out and service after 5 years and use the savings for any potential battery change.

So I am happy they changed the warranty to 5 years.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1