What to do with major water hammer?

Neutrino

For maybe a week there's been a da da da da etc noise coming from a 60mm diameter water pipe in our utilities cupboard. 

The da da da noise is extremely loud and the da da are as fast as you can say them.

It kept me up most of last night as it seems to travel up and down the floors of our 40 story HDB, sometimes loud on our floor sometimes loud on another floor.

My missus has spoken to Town Council and yesterday they sent a plumber to fix it, don't know why because I doubt if he has a clue - no disrespect to him.  He removed a small pressure gauge from our Utilities cupboard and that was the sum of his work.  He didn't even put a plug in the hole the pressure gauge left.

I think this is water hammer, anyone confirm and who best to contact to deal with it.

Driving me mad, like.

↡ Advertisement

Most probably recently somewhere along the line someone did some servicing e.g change a tap, gauge or valve and left some air lock in the  line.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Thanks guys.

But should I get Town Council, HDB or PUB to sort it out.

Not sure it is water hammer but can't think what else it could be.

But it is LOUD.

Our bedroom has two toilet areas and the kitchen between the bedroom and the utilities cupboard.  And the noise wakes me and keeps me awake.

Edited by Neutrino

Thanks guys.

But should I get Town Council, HDB or PUB to sort it out.

Not sure it is water hammer but can't think what else it could be.

But it is LOUD.

Our bedroom has two toilet areas and the kitchen between the bedroom and the utilities cupboard.  And the noise wakes me and keeps me awake.

Refer to your Town Council.

I had a similar experience years back in my old flat. The issue was caused by my Neighbour who changed to a new tap. At first they denied it and I had to bring the issue all the way up to mediation courts before they agreed to change their tap. It’s not caused by air in the pipe but rather cheap taps that cause vibrations when partially turned on. It doesn’t happen in all places and really depends on a combination of factors so it’s a Heng suay thing.

• Praise 1

Most probably recently somewhere along the line someone did some servicing e.g change a tap, gauge or valve and left some air lock in the  line.

Yeah but isn't water hammer just a single bang when you turn off a tap say when there is air in the pipe somewhere.

This is a continuous da da da da for 40 minutes last night then it moved to another floor then started later again on our floor.

I had a similar experience years back in my old flat. The issue was caused by my Neighbour who changed to a new tap. At first they denied it and I had to bring the issue all the way up to mediation courts before they agreed to change their tap. It’s not caused by air in the pipe but rather cheap taps that cause vibrations when partially turned on. It doesn’t happen in all places and really depends on a combination of factors so it’s a Heng suay thing.

Thanks.

That's interesting.

But how do you pinpoint which flat is giving the trouble?

We've talked to most of the neighbours above us and they all hear the noise.

But how does it move from floor to floor?

2 am yesterday I was walking up and down floors.

Some floors had the banging others didn't

Shouldn't there be an air release valve in the system somewhere that will release any trapped air.

Thanks.

That's interesting.

But how do you pinpoint which flat is giving the trouble?

We've talked to most of the neighbours above us and they all hear the noise.

But how does it move from floor to floor?

2 am yesterday I was walking up and down floors.

Some floors had the banging others didn't

Shouldn't there be an air release valve in the system somewhere that will release any trapped air.

Don’t think there’s such thing as an air release valve for water pipes. Think you could’ve mistaken it for a pressure regulating valve.

For my case, the water pipe only serves 4 floors and I did a bit of investigation before finding out which unit it came from. A good clue is if the sound happens in the middle of the night, look for the unit with lights on in the toilet.

• Praise 3

Don’t think there’s such thing as an air release valve for water pipes. Think you could’ve mistaken it for a pressure regulating valve.

For my case, the water pipe only serves 4 floors and I did a bit of investigation before finding out which unit it came from. A good clue is if the sound happens in the middle of the night, look for the unit with lights on in the toilet.

no wonder you can find the culprit so easily.

only 3 units to tikam

• Praise 1

So must stay up all night and look at the toilets?

After people mistaken for peeping Tom.

:D

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 1

Move to landed will solve the problem.

UncleAtas 就是 UncleAtas ... the solution also atas one [laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 2

(edited)

Update.

The plumber boss and the plumber have just been to look.

They say it's the Pressure Relief valve.  There are three PRV in the line over the 40 stories

The PRV is not on the water pipe which supplies our flat.

Apparently these PRVs fail in many new build blocks.

So they have to change the valve.

Do they a spare?

NO.

Why not if it happens so often.

Hope they can do it tomorrow.

Edited by Neutrino
  • Praise 1

For maybe a week there's been a da da da da etc noise coming from a 60mm diameter water pipe in our utilities cupboard. 

The da da da noise is extremely loud and the da da are as fast as you can say them.

It kept me up most of last night as it seems to travel up and down the floors of our 40 story HDB, sometimes loud on our floor sometimes loud on another floor.

My missus has spoken to Town Council and yesterday they sent a plumber to fix it, don't know why because I doubt if he has a clue - no disrespect to him.  He removed a small pressure gauge from our Utilities cupboard and that was the sum of his work.  He didn't even put a plug in the hole the pressure gauge left.

I think this is water hammer, anyone confirm and who best to contact to deal with it.

Driving me mad, like.

Town council take care of the water pipe outside our HDB not PUB, however if you also call the PUB hotline and lodge a complaint, they might show up. But let me tell you, PUB will do the same checks as the town council guys and will just refer your case back to town council. But town council will be the best to try solve your issue as they will know if anything done to your water grid recently and are more familiar with it.

Recently my water pressure drop drastically, and i called PUB hotline. They mention will refer my case to town council. The town council guy called and feedback they measured the pressure at the main and outside the house and pressure is within the PUB threshold, so i doubt they did anything. As the water pressure is still low in the night, i called PUB again and a pa cik with 2 bangla worker show up to check. They use a small pressure gauge to measure the pressure and it fluctuates, the pa cik says something is wrong and will feedback to town council. The next day town council guy show up and feedback they lower the water pressure a couple of days ago as other unit on the same water grid as mine (that main pipe serves 6 households) feedback the water pressure is too high. He measure the pressure in front one me and says it is within threshold but i told him it is too low for me. He says he will turn up the pressure a bit and although the spray is not like previously but at least my family is ok to live with it.

• Praise 1

Update.

The plumber boss and the plumber have just been to look.

They say it's the Pressure Relief valve.  There are three PRV in the line over the 40 stories

The PRV is not on the water pipe which supplies our flat.

Apparently these PRVs fail in many new build blocks.

So they have to change the valve.

Do they a spare?

NO.

Why not if it happens so often.

Hope they can do it tomorrow.

It happened to my water heater tank PRV before, it will produce a short eeeee sound when a tap it turn off in the house and i got it replaced. Hopefully their diagnosis is correct.

↡ Advertisement