What to do with major water hammer?

Neutrino

Neutral Newbie

Bumping this thread as i have low post count and a similar issue.

My heater has been making noises at random times of the day and mine/BSC plumbers have came down a total of 8 times to isolate the issue, to no avail. The sounds occured when my heater is switched off (sometimes offed for more than 12 hours, thus no hot water) and no tap is running, and it sounds similar to this owner i found at this thread : https://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/76820-toilet-making-weird-sound-video-uploaded/

I suspect it is due to the high and inconsistent water pressure as my taps/shower heads has been acting very erratic, in the sense that the water can 1 sec come out low, then another sec suuuuper high till the head can almost fly out of my hand. Anyone has any ideas? Going crazy as this has been ongoing for 2 months with no recourse.

↡ Advertisement

4 minutes ago, Jauss said:

Bumping this thread as i have low post count and a similar issue.

My heater has been making noises at random times of the day and mine/BSC plumbers have came down a total of 8 times to isolate the issue, to no avail. The sounds occured when my heater is switched off (sometimes offed for more than 12 hours, thus no hot water) and no tap is running, and it sounds similar to this owner i found at this thread : https://www.renotalk.com/forum/topic/76820-toilet-making-weird-sound-video-uploaded/

I suspect it is due to the high and inconsistent water pressure as my taps/shower heads has been acting very erratic, in the sense that the water can 1 sec come out low, then another sec suuuuper high till the head can almost fly out of my hand. Anyone has any ideas? Going crazy as this has been ongoing for 2 months with no recourse.

Too difficult for me 

change tap I know 

this stuff is too tough

• Haha! 2

Maybe water iced up inside pipes, if you are not in Singapore. LOL

There could be some obstruction inside pipes, probably some big stony thingy or washer thingy acting as if like a butterfly valve like in your car throttle. That's why it's one moment little flow and next moment, a big gush out.

32 minutes ago, Kopites said:

Engage the pub to check on the pressure?🤔

If water pressure got problem, this one difficult and cannot be fix de.

22 minutes ago, 13177 said:

If water pressure got problem, this one difficult and cannot be fix de.

Can fix.. Like maybe make piping less twist and turn or install pressure relief valve along the twist and turn. 

Like the video explained below. 

This is the problem that I could think of.. So either straighten the pipe to have less twist and turn, or install pressure relief valve along the pipping. 

• Praise 1

Outside my HDB there is a pressure relief valve and a pressure reducing valve.

We suddenly got very loud water hammer.

Called up HDB and after two visits they fixed it.

Maybe two years ago and problem not returned.

Edited by Neutrino
  • Praise 2

purge the air out may help, usually happen once air enter the system during repair or service and remains at high point and not enough pressure to push out the air bubble thru the pipe.

This creates air lock until pipe is manually purge.

• Praise 2

We had this at our place one late night, also a 40 storey HDB block. EMS turned up and sorted it, said it was an air lock somewhere on the 16th floor. It was bloody loud on the 38th where i live, can't imagine the noise downstairs.

• Praise 1

hope I can offer you some help. Sound to me you have a faulty valve but you do not know which one if noise is confined within only your unit. If you are experiencing this water hammering noise regularly,  try turning off each value to see if the sound stop. Vibration also more intense toward the faulty valve. Basin and shower tap if not leaking shouldn't cause noise. Usually it is the flushing cistern. Once you identify that fitting,  then it is easy to solve. If noise happen but your meter is not moving, then noise could be coming from another unit. 

Edited by Victor68
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 1