Beam Scores Funding to Bring E-Scooters to Singapore

inlinesix

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-23/ex-uber-exec-scores-funding-to-bring-e-scooters-to-singapore

1800x-1.jpg
Beam’s e-scooter.

Source: Beam

Singapore’s sidewalks are about to get a lot more crowded. Beam, co-founded by the former Asian chief for Chinese bike-sharing giant Ofo Inc., has raised $6.4 million from investors including Sequoia India to deploy its electric scooters around the island nation.

Beam just closed a seed funding round led by Sequoia India, Founders Fund, ZhenFund and Class 5 Global, Beam said in a statement. Its other backers include Arbor, Insignia, 500 Startups, Gobi and K2 Global. The financing will help bankroll a fleet of e-scooters manufactured by Segway Ninebot, backed by smartphone maker Xiaomi Corp.

The announcement comes the same day Stockholm-based Northzone Ventures -- an early investor in Spotify and iZettle -- announced it had led an investment of 25 million euros ($28.7 million) into Berlin’s Tier Mobility, which already has scooters on the streets of Vienna.

Beam, whose co-founder also headed up Indonesia for Uber Technologies Inc., is trying to replicate the success of Bird Rides Inc. and Lime in Asia. While those American startups have scaled quickly after raising massive amounts of money, they have yet to arrive in the region. In perennially muggy Singapore however, e-scooters are already becoming a popular -- if occasionally divisive -- mode of transportation among food delivery people and city commuters.

“We want to change the fundamental way that people move around Asian cities,” Chief Executive Officer Alan Jiang said in the statement. He previously led Ofo’s Asia Pacific operations and served as Uber’s country manager in Indonesia.

The Crazy E-Scooter Situation in Singapore: Fully Charged

Beam plans to roll out its service in coming weeks before eventually taking the platform to Malaysia, Australia and South Korea. Consumers will use the service by locating and unlocking a scooter using their phones. They’ll pay S$1 (72 U.S. cents) to start with, then 15 Singaporean cents a minute, with no deposit required. Similar to the U.S. e-scooter firms, Beam plans to provide financial incentives to people who can locate, charge and redistribute the scooters.

Beam said its other backers include Pascal Capital, Maloekoe Ventures and Cherubic Ventures.

Edited by Davidtch
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

Let me see my crystal glass ball.

Lta will once again be doing catch up on regulation 6 months late when there is a proliferation of this mobile devices.

• Praise 1

SO is this the Escooter version of bike sharing?  At least this don't have the risk of your neighbour charging his bike at nite. 

With the difficulties current bike sharing company facing with LTA regulation,  I wonder if this will work. The bike company will get fine if too many of the bike are not parked properly or in the designated spot.

• Praise 2

Already have similar businesses here

https://www.cityscoot.com.sg/

tiagong this is one of their scooters:

Even if not....potentially it will be especially when you talking about frequently abused multi-user shared e-scooters with volatile lithium batteries.

I hope they are UL2272 certified........

• Praise 2

Why is there no good news??

Am still angry over this crazy situation that LTA has created, and here comes another bombshell.

Hope the bloody govt not approve the application.

It will only create more chaos, and i daresay, more accidents, injuries, maybe even deaths...

• Praise 3

you naughty boy always looking out for that special lolex

You don't act saint...

I beg you also zoom into the picture.

Hahaha a good picture will always entice reader to continue reading with that piece of boring written article.

I am being honest here.

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 1

You don't act saint...

I beg you also zoom into the picture.

Hahaha a good picture will always entice reader to continue reading with that piece of boring written article.

I am being honest here. ð

sorry sorry my bad

got distracted by lolex

you should not keep eyeing on her Havana slippers

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Am still angry over this crazy situation that LTA has created, and here comes another bombshell.

It will only create more chaos, and i daresay, more accidents, injuries, maybe even deaths...

we'll see more accidents involving PMDs and pedestrians given a larger number of PMDs on the road. Worse is that those renting it would likely be less skilled using it (I assume if they really need a PMD, they would have bought it to use regularly rather than renting on ad hoc basis) and therefore, more accidents. 

• Praise 2

Already have similar businesses here

https://www.cityscoot.com.sg/

tiagong this is one of their scooters:

Even if not....potentially it will be especially when you talking about frequently abused multi-user shared e-scooters with volatile lithium batteries.

I hope they are UL2272 certified........

i was walking along along eu tong sen last week, saw 1-2 of some rental e-scooters at the bus stops.

Anyway doubt it will take off with the bike sharing/PMD backlash.

Pte e-scooters are the way to go. 

if use their scooter and hit some 1 , who is responsible??

the user?? or the company ?? insurance claim how??

if user complain scooter is faulty he cannot brake that y hit ppl.??

wat are the assurance other road user are protected??

Edited by Beregond
  • Praise 2

When I feel Shanghai street condition are getting better than 10 yrs ago. Less bike as more are driving.

Our street condition is getting the other direction.

• Praise 2

sorry sorry my bad

got distracted by lolex

you should not keep eyeing on her Havana slippers

What Havana?

I think it's Hermes.

Yes, I zoomed in.  [laugh]

Damn bro... :sick:

How you know she got herpes eh? :blink:

I reckon she just got her teeth whitening done recently. She sweet and white.

Edited by Kopites
↡ Advertisement