All about Singapore Special dogs & Adoption Drives Updates!

BabyBlade

attachicon.gificon_social_5aa53b1adc6af7.53533251.jpg

Paige - one of the 4 pups Exclusively Mongrels bailed out from AVA.

attachicon.gif1.jpgattachicon.gif2.jpgattachicon.gif3.jpgattachicon.gif4.jpgattachicon.gif5.jpgattachicon.gif6.jpg

Caught by AVA at 2.5 months old when someone called for their removal and EM was alerted to it.

Please contact Exclusively Mongrels if you are interested to view her 9789 0569.

I messaged to enquire but was told that it's advisable only for experienced dog owners, which sadly isn't me  [bigcry]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Internal Moderator

I messaged to enquire but was told that it's advisable only for experienced dog owners, which sadly isn't me  [bigcry]

Haha. You never had dogs before? But are you looking to adopt one now?

There are many animal rescue groups out there. Go visit their pages and scout around. 

I dont think you really need much skills but comittment dont need skills , if they are still young like a year old (easier) can bring them to a dog trainer (go to the group type) as I find it better as there will be other dogs and you will also know their social skills / discipline) and what not but bear in mind local mongrels are hardly and less fussy but only problem is social skills (they are too protective) and will not socialize easily with other dogs so easily (anyway its just my experience walking my Golden retriever everyday which I also adopted when he was like 7 months old) 

Remember that these dogs were wild from day 1 and it was a survival game for them until they were homed 

Anyways sharing my 2 cents input

Glad you are doing this for a good cause  [thumbsup]   

• Praise 3

I dont think you really need much skills but comittment dont need skills , if they are still young like a year old (easier) can bring them to a dog trainer (go to the group type) as I find it better as there will be other dogs and you will also know their social skills / discipline) and what not but bear in mind local mongrels are hardy and less fussy but only problem is social skills (they are too protective) and will not socialize easily with other dogs so easily (anyway its just my experience walking my Golden retriever everyday which I also adopted when he was like 7 months old) 

Remember that these dogs were wild from day 1 and it was a survival game for them until they were homed 

Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 4

2 things i could not change my mongrel to do..

super protective of his food... going near him, he will growl and show teeth

thunder - he literally pull my sliding door out and hide under furniture

• Praise 1

Mine Golden... thunder comes .... he will run helter skelter all over the house at every open door to bark .... he goes ballistic  

Turbocharged

coco seems like a good dog for a first time owner. her temperament sounds yummy also. she looks great too (actually secondary to most pet owners).

Being protective of food is quite common as its a survival instinct that has been passed down from their older siblings or parents since they have to live in the streets. You can train them to be less protective, which I have done with mine. I can touch their food when they are eating or take it away from them without any issue. Even from their mouth I can take it out without resistance.

I don't agree mongrels are not sociable with other dogs. Mine are super sociable with all dogs and I've found many other mongrels who are excellent with other dogs too. More so than my small cocker spaniel that no matter how much we try, after 8 years, still cannot be sociable with other dogs.

Sociable with humans on the other hand are the complete opposite. My mongrels are not trusting of strangers while the cocker spaniel loves to be with all people.

I like babyblade

Mine Golden... thunder comes .... he will run helter skelter all over the house at every open door to bark .... he goes ballistic

For this, you can get those thunder anxiety jackets. Basically a very snug jacket or vest that will help them feel more comfortable during thunder and lightning storms. Edited by Mockngbrd

Haha. You never had dogs before? But are you looking to adopt one now?

There are many animal rescue groups out there. Go visit their pages and scout around. 

Never had but always loved dogs, took care of our relative's dog from time to time when they had one

Yeah, now looking to adopt because my sis wants also, so there's joined commitment

Ok will look around, thanks for the recommendation  [thumbsup]  [laugh]  [thumbsup]

I dont think you really need much skills but comittment dont need skills , if they are still young like a year old (easier) can bring them to a dog trainer (go to the group type) as I find it better as there will be other dogs and you will also know their social skills / discipline) and what not but bear in mind local mongrels are hardly and less fussy but only problem is social skills (they are too protective) and will not socialize easily with other dogs so easily (anyway its just my experience walking my Golden retriever everyday which I also adopted when he was like 7 months old) 

That's really insightful bro, thanks uh! 

Will take note and explore

I was this close to buying from a pet shop, then realised that I shld adopt instead

coco seems like a good dog for a first time owner. her temperament sounds yummy also. she looks great too (actually secondary to most pet owners).

Coco has been adopted !

• Praise 3

Never had but always loved dogs, took care of our relative's dog from time to time when they had one

Yeah, now looking to adopt because my sis wants also, so there's joined commitment

Ok will look around, thanks for the recommendation [thumbsup][laugh][thumbsup]

I was this close to buying from a pet shop, then realised that I shld adopt instead

Coco has been adopted !

Problem is those cute fur balls you see in pet shop ..... what did the mother have to go thru to endure constant impregnation for her whole life in those puppy mills in cramped conditions ..... and then there those whom buy .... spur of the moment type and later medical bills mount and no time to devote .... sometimes got even pedigree dogs in SPCA though they are taken up fast especially the smaller ones

Problem is those cute fur balls you see in pet shop ..... what did the mother have to go thru to endure constant impregnation for her whole life in those puppy mills in cramped conditions ..... and then there those whom buy .... spur of the moment type and later medical bills mount and no time to devote .... sometimes got even pedigree dogs in SPCA though they are taken up fast especially the smaller ones

Very true, I mean I didn't think that much when I wanted to get one a couple years back, but after much thought, I am on baord with the idea of saving them, feels like the right thing to do

• Praise 4

Very true, I mean I didn't think that much when I wanted to get one a couple years back, but after much thought, I am on baord with the idea of saving them, feels like the right thing to do

Yes Adopt Don’t Buy ......
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

Ok will look around, thanks for the recommendation [thumbsup][laugh][thumbsup]

Coco has been adopted !

Good for coco. But too bad for Slk.

Nvm, lots of cocos out there for you to choose, and bring home to love.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator

I dont think you really need much skills but comittment dont need skills , if they are still young like a year old (easier) can bring them to a dog trainer (go to the group type) as I find it better as there will be other dogs and you will also know their social skills / discipline) and what not but bear in mind local mongrels are hardy and less fussy but only problem is social skills (they are too protective) and will not socialize easily with other dogs so easily (anyway its just my experience walking my Golden retriever everyday which I also adopted when he was like 7 months old) 

Very true. Mongrels tend to have certain characteristics very much prominent in them. A lot of them are very very wary of humans. Since young in their pack, they were mostly wary of humans. The lack of social skills and distrust in humans will need some overcoming. A lot of work to be done with your newly adopted dog should you choose to have one. But as the saying goes, no one is perfect - this includes dogs and humans alike.

To add on from what @BanCoe shared...

For those staying in HDB, there will be a compulsory obedience class to go through with your furkid. It will be a 6 weeks course if I am not wrong. Lesson will be once each week. So after each lesson, go home, take your furkid and practice everything that you've learnt from the trainer.

But prior to attending the course, I would advise you to at least spend one month getting your newly adopted dog familiarized and comfortable with his home environment, outside environment, be somewhat ok with walking on leash etc. When I say ok with walking on leash, if there's tugging and pulling it's not too bad. The trainer can work with you during the obedience classes to correct them. But I find it easier if your dog has already been going down for walks with you, instead of being a total greenhorn at it. This way, the obedience classes will just be an enrichment to point you and your dog in the right direction with proper guidance from a certified trainer.

Importantly, don't give up on them. Because we don't give up on our family.  [flowerface]

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator

attachicon.gificon_social_5aa53b1adc6af7.53533251.jpg

Coco from Exclusively Mongrels

attachicon.gif44072999_2117185708344017_7159995788519538688_n.jpgattachicon.gif44257921_2117185921677329_4776106081006911488_n.jpg

attachicon.gif44079429_2117186018343986_1334931511257858048_n.jpg

attachicon.gif44125443_2117185901677331_7363120863715000320_n.jpg

attachicon.gif44132125_2117185975010657_8765111614920720384_n.jpg

HDB approved size under Project Adore. She’s one of the many that we are rehoming off the streets, due to her size and good temperament. A very people dog, Coco was brought over to her foster home just last weekend and immediately settled into her new home.

Extremely affectionate, Coco loves cuddling up to her humans for pats and body contact. She walks well on leash too which makes her a delight to walk with. She is grass trained and will need minimally 2 walks per day. Gets along well with other dogs.

She is spayed, vaccinated and microchipped.

Of course, best part of Coco is she’s also HDB approved!

To see Coco, text 9789 0569. 

Good news for Coco!

post-107101-0-15759300-1542851764_thumb.jpg

Extracted from Exclusively Mongrels FB page.

Bye bye Coco!

This beautiful girl with the sparkling bright eyes found her way into the hearts and home of Thomas and his family after a brief home stay.

Like Mila, Coco was also sterilized as a stray and planned for release. But her temperament gave her the advantage, plus she’s of HDB approved size which made it easier to rehome her too.

Thomas has been on the lookout for a suitable dog to join his family and after seeing Coco, he decided that she might be the one, and true enough, she settled in after a few days and he confirmed the adoption today!

One less stray and one more Singapore Special finds a forever home. Coco has been renamed as Biru and she’s adopted!

• Praise 2

Yes even for my 7 month old adopted GT i took him for classes (by some chap named Ricky ... i think he also crusades this adoption thingy) back then at the top floor of Vivocity ... i think was about 6 odd classes and in a group is better so you can see where your dog stands out and his shortcomings/distractions/discipline and also becos there are many other dogs you can see all the way the different people asking very strange questions which dont cross your mind

Anyway to end with this note:... hope @silangkia has taken a cue ...........now

post-157298-0-74957000-1542851922.jpg

Edited by BanCoe

Internal Moderator

post-107101-0-24087000-1542851882.jpg

Adoption drive at Bishan Park this weekend. Exclusively Mongrels will be there from 11am - 3pm.

Pixie, a 4 months old female pup was rescued from a busy heavy vehicular area, all smiles and will be going to the adoption drive this Sunday to meet her forever family.

Her big, bright, sparkly eyes, non-stop wagging tail and friendly disposition will be there on Sun to welcome you.

She’s vaccinated, microchipped and healthy!

Not HDB approved.

post-107101-0-79053900-1542852056_thumb.jpg

post-107101-0-53629100-1542852059_thumb.jpg

post-107101-0-18330900-1542852062_thumb.jpg

• Praise 3

You don't just save 1 life when you adopt. You are saving 2. Because when one gets a new home and family, it frees up space for rescuers to save one more from the streets or from AVA.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4