Tyre patching safe?

Hyde

Been doing my own worm patching in the last 20 years of driving

From my first car as a unit student, even last week for a friend's motorbike.

As long as the treads are still usable and as long as the puncture is NOT on the sidewal, a worm patch can usually be quite ok until the tyre needs to be replaced till it wears out.

If the hole is too big for the patch, then a patch can temprorary fix the issue (make the leak even slower) until you can limp to a tyre shop.

Alternatively to patching, you may also use stuff like sealant (slime) as a stop gap measure until you reach a tyre shop or if the leak is small, the sealant may just plug the leak.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Twincharged

Been doing my own worm patching in the last 20 years of driving

From my first car as a unit student, even last week for a friend's motorbike.

As long as the treads are still usable and as long as the puncture is NOT on the sidewal, a worm patch can usually be quite ok until the tyre needs to be replaced till it wears out.

If the hole is too big for the patch, then a patch can temprorary fix the issue (make the leak even slower) until you can limp to a tyre shop.

Alternatively to patching, you may also use stuff like sealant (slime) as a stop gap measure until you reach a tyre shop or if the leak is small, the sealant may just plug the leak.

What about those that is at the edge of sidewall and thread? Can still patch?

Where are places to do this type of patching?

Do the tyre shop that sells them also do it. Once i had a leak, tyre flat in the morning, brought to soh tyres, i thought whether can be patched but uncle said straight out need to change ...

If it wasn't safe I would have never just patch my MIL tyre.

Everyone here knows how bad I will feel if anything bad happen to her.

:D

If it wasn't safe I would have never just patch my MIL tyre.

Everyone here knows how bad I will feel if anything bad happen to her.

:D

for you james, just dont insert chewing gum instead of the wormy thingy is good enough.

• Praise 2

Do the tyre shop that sells them also do it. Once i had a leak, tyre flat in the morning, brought to soh tyres, i thought whether can be patched but uncle said straight out need to change ...

Depends on where the puncture is, if sidewalls then gone case.

Mine had a nail stuck but it wasnt on the side walls, paid 5 bucks at tyre shop to patch it. 33k km now still going strong.

just dropby any workshop and ask. Most of them will do tyre patching for 6-12 dollars. I patched mine twice. 

The second one lasted about 10k before it bloated up and had to change the whole tyre. 

(edited)

how much did you pay at Southeast, $50?

Just to share my experience with tyre patching.

In my 18 years of driving, I've had a fair share of nails but they have all been slow leaks and I've always used worm patching.

TPMS alerted a low pressure on Tuesday, so I went to do a worm patch as usual at the petrol station workshop just outside my place.

But I decided to try internal patching today at Southeast Tyres.

10/10 to them and it's worth every cent!

here's the process:

Edited by Vidz

Yap Bros at old Toh Tuck Road.

did they do a good job?

review online seems bad. need to get mine done

Got a puncture when my car was 3 months old and less than 5k miles. Big piece of jagged steel sticking out of the tyre and thought it was a gone case but Stamford patch it for me with nothing said... The tyre still on the car and now at over 3 yrs and 40k miles and no problems.

My personal preference for patched tyre is to make sure it goes on the rear and not the front. In the unlikely event it blows out at least steering is not so badly affected... 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1