NS related deaths

Tom_kkh

Supersonic
(edited)

Choy! Family doctor reiterated to him must report sick if feeling unwell and to tell platoon mates to do the same too. Don't be hero he repeated what I told my son. Anyway, he is doing fine for his physical training and so far can cope with life in tekong. The platoon is getting along well except for a couple of black sheeps who always sabo the platoon.

That's the wrong thinking. How are those people saboing the platoon? Just cuz they don't wanna fit into the army?

The commanders will try to use collective punishment to divide the platoon. They are the enemy.

Don't just rely on the family doctor. Please tell your son that there is no shame in not being able to complete any of the tasks given by he army and certainly not shame in falling out. He is not a career soldier.

Edited by Kusje
↡ Advertisement

Supercharged
(edited)

Anyone heard of Tekong cough? My boy came back with bad cough and slight flu. Platoon sergeant "discouraged" recruits from reporting sick if coughing. Almost every body coughing here he said. So boh pian have to continue with physical training daily and 2.4km run alternate days. MO also mentioned in his talk to recruits "don't waste my time reporting sick for body pains be it knee or back. Suck it Up! " they even compiled statistics on reporting sick by the various platoons and company. Don't know if these young men being trained proper to protect country or tortured. How to change the mindset of the commanders and trainers if it is entrenched deeply that reporting sick = Chow Keng? [confused]

Haiz! That is why a lot dare not report sick when ill. Book out and see family doctor.

The cough is a common illness. Recruits shared mugs for water parade. One get it all get it. I remembered my section was literally coughing away for 2/3 of the BMT. We report sick and get the standard cough syrup and light duties.

Continue with the training since 50% are lessons which are non-strenuous nature. For outfield training, those on light duty status will be the fatigue party.

Edited by Gizmore
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

Anyone heard of Tekong cough? My boy came back with bad cough and slight flu. Platoon sergeant "discouraged" recruits from reporting sick if coughing. Almost every body coughing here he said. So boh pian have to continue with physical training daily and 2.4km run alternate days. MO also mentioned in his talk to recruits "don't waste my time reporting sick for body pains be it knee or back. Suck it Up! " they even compiled statistics on reporting sick by the various platoons and company. Don't know if these young men being trained proper to protect country or tortured. How to change the mindset of the commanders and trainers if it is entrenched deeply that reporting sick = Chow Keng? [confused]

Haiz! That is why a lot dare not report sick when ill. Book out and see family doctor.

i see the Tekong cough is still circulating... i guess the platoon sergeant does not want your son to fall out and OOC which means need to repeat BMT again...

still remember the whole company sitting in the LT waiting for lesson. no one was allowed to talk, but the LT was never quiet cause everyone take turns coughing...

all the best to your son!

• Praise 1

Choy! Family doctor reiterated to him must report sick if feeling unwell and to tell platoon mates to do the same too. Don't be hero he repeated what I told my son. Anyway, he is doing fine for his physical training and so far can cope with life in tekong. The platoon is getting along well except for a couple of black sheeps who always sabo the platoon.

thats what i told my son when i sent him off to Lakuin.....dont be a hero, take care of himself first before others.......but i still gave him a bit of encouragement and told him that i wanted to see that badge.

For sabo kings......there will always be those blur farks in every platoon and section. Its easier for others to say but can only say not all man are made out to be in the army. Just put it as a point that, thats how men are sorted out from being a leader or just a normal service men (like yours truly....

• Praise 1

Twincharged
(edited)

i see the Tekong cough is still circulating... i guess the platoon sergeant does not want your son to fall out and OOC which means need to repeat BMT again...

still remember the whole company sitting in the LT waiting for lesson. no one was allowed to talk, but the LT was never quiet cause everyone take turns coughing...

all the best to your son!

Ones health is most important. IMHO screw everything else. OOC then OOC. Too persistent a cough could be the onset on pneumonia. Why harm your own body so that some can protect their statistics.

Still a NSF or NSMEN at the end of the day, why should one suffer for the promotions of the regulars. If others say I keng so be it. My health always comes first. SAF is not going to take care of me when such injuries haunt me when I’m older. I’ll do my part but don’t expect me to suffer unnecessarily so that others can show his command and get his major or LTC!

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 2

This Tekong cough will continue for a few months even after he pass out from BMT. Still don't know what is the underlying reason for this cough. I've had it many years ago when I was a recruit in Tekong too. About 30-40% of the recruits coughing. Hearsay is the water.

• Praise 2

Supersonic

See MO is quite useless. Will just give you standard cough syrup.

Best to see GP during weekends. Can get 2-3 days MC, sit at home shiok shiok watch TV.

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

See MO is quite useless. Will just give you standard cough syrup.

Best to see GP during weekends. Can get 2-3 days MC, sit at home shiok shiok watch TV.

Good idea
  • Praise 3

while our attention is known for really short.

i hope we didnt forget about the 2 recent cases of ns death.

despite my effort i cannot still cannot find any update on the outcome of the investigation.

if any 1 know, pls update, i really hope justice is serve..

Supersonic

despite my effort i cannot still cannot find any update on the outcome of the investigation.

They probably need more time for proper evidences and conclusion.

But hope they will disclose the actual details of the incidents and the problems to the public.

Turbocharged

he seems to be saying -

SAF system has some fault.

there are wrong doers

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/those-responsible-cfc-dave-lees-death-will-be-taken-task-defence-force-chief

SINGAPORE — Wrongdoers responsible for the death of full-time national serviceman Dave Lee will be held accountable for their actions, Chief of Defence Force Melvyn Ong pledged on Tuesday (June 19) during a wide-ranging interview ahead of Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) Day next month.

In the inteview, Major-General (MG) Ong also revealed that an external safety panel — tasked to examine the existing system for managing heat injuries in the wake of the incident — has found shortcomings in the SAF's prevention and response to such injuries, even though other aspects were in line with industry practices and those of other foreign militaries.

"Those who have been shown to have done something wrong over the course of the incident will be held accountable — this I guarantee you," said MG Ong, who also underscored the importance of public support for National Service (NS) which, he stressed, cannot be taken for granted.

And we are all committed to this. We have (held), and we will continue to hold, our commanders accountable to the highest standards. You have our assurance on this."

His comments came nearly two months after the high-profile death of Corporal First Class (CFC) Lee, a 19-year-old Guardsman from the 1st Battalion Singapore Guards. CFC Lee died in hospital on April 30 after more than a week in intensive care. He was admitted after he displayed signs of heat injury following an 8km fast march in Bedok Camp on the morning of April 18.

Dave Lee case:  don't look good.

slow to spot, slow to evacuate, extra activities

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/nsf-dave-lees-death-coi-finds-breaches-training-safety-discipline-rules-ng-eng-hen-103020436.html

the most important 2 points not mention.

who is found guilty??

wat punishment is given??

if i am the parents, i want to know this 2 the most.

• Praise 2

Dave Lee case: don't look good.

slow to spot, slow to evacuate, extra activities

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/nsf-dave-lees-death-coi-finds-breaches-training-safety-discipline-rules-ng-eng-hen-103020436.html

I do not think all commanders will follow the new directive.

Recruits are.now forced to drink a full bottle of water or more before exercises. Over hydration is just as bad.

• Praise 2

Err.... 20+ years old not primary school going on excursion.

What is more important? The son's life or what you mentioned?

Reminds me of my time in RSN. We were supposed to go for a secret mission into a country of racial violence to ensure extraction of Singaporeans will be carried out peacefully. And one of my colleague went to inform his mum abt the mission. The mum got worried and called our CO and scolded him why her son has to go to a conflict area. Our CO was mad and confiscated all our hp till we were stand down from the mission.

I wouldn't want that to happen again. Some stuff we carry out in the armed forces are dangerous and secretive of nature. No need for parents to go question the commanders of their own children's well being.

Not apple to apple comparison. Talking about ragging here.

If you have a son and he's telling you he's about to get thrown into a well of water when he can't swim wouldn't it make you want to talk to the officer in charge?

Edited by Watwheels

https://www.facebook.com/ChannelNewsAsia/posts/10155869797267934?comment_id=10155869849087934&notif_id=1536816277464040&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic

SCDF NSF death: Board of Inquiry recommends decommissioning pump wells, review of anti-ragging culture
Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/scdf-nsf-death-kok-yuen-chin-board-of-inquiry-pump-wells-10716848

so after so much investigation.

the well get the most punishment??? :a-bang: 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1