Taobao opens first physical store in Singapore

ChaosMyth

post-186600-0-93643500-1541728246.jpg

post-186600-0-28782700-1541728252.jpg

post-186600-0-89368800-1541728256.jpg

Plaza Singapura’s new Nomadx also combines eating and shopping with gaming for an interactive experience.

Taobao fans can now take their shopping sprees offline at the new retail concept Nomadx at Plaza Singapura. Spanning 11,000 square feet across two levels of the mall, Nomadx houses Singapore’s first physical Taobao store, as well as 17 other brands offering fashion, beauty, consumer electronics, food and drinks.

Taobao is only one of the online stores that has a physical outlet for the first time. The other brands include clothing rental service Style Theory; fragrance design and mixology label Oo La Lab; Digital Fashion Week’s multi-label boutique; and F&B brands Teapasar and By Peapods. But while Nomadx is bringing digital shopping into the physical realm, it’s also enhancing the shopping experience through digital technology. For instance, at the Mamonde skincare counter, you can place any product on a reader and have its information displayed on a screen. Over at Style Theory, you can scan QR codes to receive sizing and styling recommendations. Fashionistas can also shop for new-to-market Nomadx exclusives from fashion brands, such as Karl Lagerfeld’s Pins collection of bags and accessories rolled out in partnership with Robinsons.

If you are more used to spending time in the virtual world than offline, you can choose to take part in a “game”. When you sign up through one of the store’s tablets, you’ll be assigned to a “tribe” based on the shopper’s profile you relate to best. You’ll then be able to receive products and deal recommendations based on your tribe profile, as well as see what other shoppers in your tribe bought. To complete your shopping experience, Nomadx also houses F&B outlets Bizen Wagyu Steakhouse By Aston Soon, Coco & Frank, and Waa Cow! Express.

I dont really know how this will work lo. So many brands from Taobao youre not gonna be able to enjoy as with ecommerce. And with taxes and gst, is there really a need for a physical store? but anything lo. another place to kill time, same as the honestbee one.. if it lasts.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Got tao bao price or not? That's the main reason most buyer willing to forgo warranty, long shipment delays, risk. Not the company's brand.

• Praise 5

Got tao bao price or not? That's the main reason most buyer willing to forgo warranty, long shipment delays, risk. Not the company's brand.

I think it’s more for ppl to touch and feel the product.

The new motto now is 從綱店到實體店。

• Praise 1

Rental, utilities, salaries, high overhead.

Somebody got to pay for this.

It's unlikely you get the same online price.

• Praise 2

I think Jack Ma got billions to burn.

At least he is burning his own money.

Not like Uber that is burning investor's money

Rental, utilities, salaries, high overhead.

Somebody got to pay for this.

It's unlikely you get the same online price.

Jack Ma is reducing his stake in Ali Baba.

He is likely to burn investors money since it is listed in US.

thought he wanna retire and go into education liao [;)]

• Praise 1

I had a chat with the guy manning the jbl kiosk at nomadx. He says the area is more for customer experience rather than to do sales. So he showed me the various new jbl products like the Android headphones.

I had a chat with the guy manning the jbl kiosk at nomadx. He says the area is more for customer experience rather than to do sales. So he showed me the various new jbl products like the Android headphones.

mean a place for various brands to showcase their products? but taobao sells a lot of knockoff, can they display as legal brand?

Online shopping is to avoid high cost of physical shop ...

After success , online going back to brick and mortar again

See and touch then buy online lor if they cannot match.

1st off....just remove the 3% transaction fee for overseas buyer or reduce it off 1% as per previous posb/dbs bank nets payment.... That will help boost the sales over the online portal.

Physical store.... Hmmm well, think will be like those kickstarter physical display stores..... Lots of browsing but many will still go online to buy those products.

Yes completely right. Business strategy.

Just like Apple Physical Store. They can always sell online but to convert android users or new smartphone users to Apple, sometimes we need to touch, feel and test before we buy. After that they got you.

• Praise 1

Its not for me to tell these big companies how to do business

but Retail is not the right way to go. Online is the future.

:D

Unless its an interactive experience which is not possible

to replicate at home. Maybe touch and feel playing with the

new gadgets. That's why some retail concepts will never die.

Massage Parlours are retail by nature. I always like it for the 

touch and feel and the interactive experience.  [thumbsup]